DirecTV fires Installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm only repeating what DTV employees are telling me. I probably have more insight on how DTV works than most people on this forum and I believe what I'm hearing. Plans can always change but this is what seems to be the push right now. 5yrs will tell us if it comes true.
Employees will tell you anything ....

I DOUBT THAT ENTIRELY ....

You've been here for 10 minutes and you know more than all the D*/ ATT employees here, many are installers, I think they have a pretty good grasp on how this stuff works ...

If you look around here for awhile you'll fine there are some VERY knowledgeable.

I've been here for probably 15+yrs but forgot my log in, so hence the new name. I didn't say I know more than all the DTV employees here, but I know more than some and especially more than the installers. I doubt if any current employees will discuss current company information here publicly but hopefully they will chime in at some point. Probably after the next big layoff.

Employees will tell you anything ....

I DOUBT THAT ENTIRELY ....

You've been here for 10 minutes and you know more than all the D*/ ATT employees here, many are installers, I think they have a pretty good grasp on how this stuff works ...

If you look around here for awhile you'll fine there are some VERY knowledgeable.

I've been here for probably 15+yrs but forgot my log in, so hence the new name. I didn't say I know more than all the DTV employees here, but I know more than some and especially more than the installers. I doubt if any current employees will discuss current company information here publicly but hopefully they will chime in at some point. Probably after the next big layoff.
Your talking to one. No, not a D* installer, but I've been putting them in for many years.

Reactions: goaliebob99
I suspect some folks at ATT think they know more than they do, and have excessively high hopes for their new technology rollout.

Let us assume they put a “Super 5G” box every kilometer along the roads. Maybe they communicate with each other down the line using 5G or some other frequencies, until they hit a spot where there’s a fiber drop. Trying to support multiple HDTV streams in his fashion is, err, “optimistic.”

Of course, some rosy projections, best case scenarios, can trickle down the line and perhaps not entirely accurately.

Maybe ATT figures by then that market not serviceable by wires or fiber will no longer be significant. Maybe. I think that to be an unrealistic projection, especially as it seems to depend upon a technology that is not polished, and in fact dependent upon an enhancement to that currently vapor technology.

It just screams “remember Broadband over Power Lines.” And for those that are big believers in big corporations, may I also direct you to what happened with Intel and LCoS. And many other misjudgments.

I will set a calendar reminder for this for 1/1/23. With an annual review.

att will be fiber in 5+ years - dtv and fios joined forces years ago. att will spend billions like verizon did years ago installing underground fios cables where the cables don’t exist- att already ownes fios cables in the ground provided by verizon that transferred from the dtv purchase - it was a trade off for the satellite feed .

the 2 top fios providers will be verizon and att. verizon sale will be in the next 10 years.

streaming services will become 5x more expensive then our cable bill is now, so we will have to rely on a cord.

in 15 years amazon/target will be over charging us for stream/fios while att/xfinity will be offering us better prices to survive- but both will have no costumer service.

att will be fiber in 5+ years - dtv and fios joined forces years ago. att will spend billions like verizon did years ago installing underground fios cables where the cables don’t exist- att already ownes fios cables in the ground provided by verizon that transferred from the dtv purchase - it was a trade off for the satellite feed .

the 2 top fios providers will be verizon and att. verizon sale will be in the next 10 years.

streaming services will become 5x more expensive then our cable bill is now, so we will have to rely on a cord.

in 15 years amazon/target will be over charging us for stream/fios while att/xfinity will be offering us better prices to survive- but both will have no costumer service.
WHAT ?

ATT has been putting in fiber since at least 1991 .... probably well before it. Its nothing new.
ALL the VRAD boxes are FIBER already in use.

Verizon and ATT do not over lap, at least in this area, ATT has a much larger area than Verizon and there are agreements that ATT will never go into an ATT area and Verizon won't go into a ATT area ...

Now, that said, that doesn't include Cell services.

Fwiw, I can't wait for the increase in Internet bills ... once they push that high enough everyone will be going back to Sat !

WHAT ?

ATT has been putting in fiber since at least 1991 .... probably well before it. Its nothing new.
ALL the VRAD boxes are FIBER already in use.

Verizon and ATT do not over lap, at least in this area, ATT has a much larger area than Verizon and there are agreements that ATT will never go into an ATT area and Verizon won't go into a ATT area ...

Now, that said, that doesn't include Cell services.

Fwiw, I can't wait for the increase in Internet bills ... once they push that high enough everyone will be going back to Sat !
Actually they do..Verizon owns MCI..MCI has large fiber networks in many cities such as Seattle where huge investments have been made..MCI is now known as Verizon Business

Actually they do..Verizon owns MCI..MCI has large fiber networks in many cities such as Seattle where huge investments have been made..MCI is now known as Verizon Business
And the Verizon and Att areas over lap and you could have either ?
I suppose it could be designated by the area of the country or even by State, I know where I am thats the way it is.

To back this one up, for the last 20yrs I had DSL through ATT and at my distance from the CO the fastest speed I could get during most of that time was 1.5mb. Then they were able to up that to 3mb a couple of yrs ago with a new modem and some tweaking. I had many conversations over the years about ATT installing fiber in this area and was always told it will never happen, they have no plans to upgrade anything in my area and my only hope for faster speed was new technology over my existing
copper.

About a year ago I saw an ATT bucket truck in my alley and asked what they were doing. They guy in the bucket yelled "Installing fiber! Were putting it in everywhere now" A few months later I had 100mb Internet.

There seems to be a big push now for ATT to supply high speed internet and maybe this has something to do with what I heard about transitioning off satellites in the future.

And the Verizon and Att areas over lap and you could have either ?
I suppose it could be designated by the area of the country or even by State, I know where I am thats the way it is.
MCI was a long distance data carrier for years before Verizon bought them.MCI gobbled companies like uunet that had their own networks...Verizon and ATT do overlap but not with the traditional Telco network

i don’t think it’s cutting cord. i think it’s cutting sat tv. i know 20 people that have jumped from dtv this past year and went with comrap or verizon. i would believe that having speedy internet for things like apple tv amazon tv or the free bandwidth for kids phone is the cause. satellite can’t offer that.

most of the people i know find it to troublesome to use just the internet for there tv. but they seem to enjoy a all in one price for net and tv.

i called d last week before resigning with v fios, d still could not offer the amount of channels + internet speed that v fios is offering. and so far knock on wood v fios customer service is just as good as i had with dirc.

The first issue is being able to provide affordable internet service. Unless At&T is your primary internet provider in the area, the need for cheap, fast internet is more important than television service.

So if Comcast, Spectrum or Fios Is available many customers will get a better deal going with a bundle to save money.

Second of all, then you got the cord cutters who can go with streaming options due to the fact they can get decent internet.

Finally Directv is hurting themselves with the way they price their service.

They need to go to a 2 year price guarantee. People dislike agreements, but what kills the deal is when you say it’s $35 for the first year and it goes to $74 in the second year of the agreement.

People dislike the fact they are stuck in a 2 year agreement and have to pay full price the second year.

With Spectrum it’s no contract, and on Comcast the customer gets the promo rate in most cases for the entire term of the 1 or 2 year agreement.

Add to the fact with Directv they require customers to pass a credit check and have a credit card, and you must have a line of site, they loose a lot of potential customers right off the bat.

To be honest At&T seems more interested in selling their existing wireless and internet customers Directv in AT&T areas then they do about getting a tv only customer.

They have the infrastructure to steam roll over dish, but they are not taking advantage of the situation.

There is more than just the cost of the satellites in space and getting them there. There is the cost of sending out the installers to the home, cost of that dish, receiver, wiring, the retailer's commissions and upkeep of all of that equipment at the home. That cost does not exist at all for iptv if the customer just uses an app on a phone, tv or iptv box. AT&T along with Dish need to offer triple pay or quad pay to the consumer to compete with cable companies. That can be done over the cellular network and they can also have unlimited data of their iptv services over their own networks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts