The DIRECTV Group Announces First Quarter 2007 Results

DIRECTV U.S. First Quarter Financial Highlights

-- Net Subscriber Additions of 235,000 Driven by an Increase in
Gross Additions and the Lowest Monthly Churn Rate in 3 Years
of 1.44%

-- Revenues Increase 11% to Over $3.5 Billion Fueled by a 5.2%
Increase in Average Monthly Revenue Per Subscriber (ARPU) to
$73.40

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 9, 2007--The DIRECTV Group, Inc. (NYSE:DTV) today reported that first quarter revenues increased 15% to $3.91 billion and operating profit before depreciation and amortization(1) increased 54% to $930 million compared to last year's first quarter. The DIRECTV Group reported that first quarter 2007 operating profit increased 44% and net income increased 43% to $563 million and $336 million, respectively, when compared to the same period last year. Earnings per share were $0.27 compared with $0.17 in the same period last year.

"First quarter results highlight DIRECTV U.S.' operating strength and ability to generate strong cash flow as indicated by the $343 million of cash flow before interest and taxes in the quarter. The increase in gross subscribers and the lowest churn rate in three years reflect the strength of DIRECTV's video service and improved competitive positioning in the marketplace. Particularly noteworthy was the significant growth in advanced products in the quarter, including the addition of nearly twice as many high definition, or HD, customers compared to the prior year," said Chase Carey, president and CEO of The DIRECTV Group, Inc.

Carey continued, "The increased sales of HD and digital video recorders are driving favorable results for most of our key operating metrics. For example, the quarterly increase in gross subscriber additions to 929,000, the decline in monthly churn to 1.44% and the ARPU growth of over 5% to $73.40 were all favorably impacted by the significant increase in sales of advanced services. The strong subscriber and ARPU growth drove revenues to over $3.5 billion, up 11% over the prior year."

Carey added, "Operating profit before depreciation and amortization of $869 million increased over 50% compared to last year primarily due to the capitalization of set-top boxes under the lease program implemented in March 2006. Upgrade and retention costs, including capitalized equipment, were higher than the prior year due to the increased number of customers upgrading to HD and DVR services, as well as converting to our new MPEG-4 HD equipment. As we've seen in recent quarters, investments in subscribers with advanced services continue to drive superior financial returns that are generally 2 to 3 times greater than subscribers without advanced services due to the significantly higher ARPU and lower churn generated from these households."

Carey concluded, "It's very exciting to see the strong demand for HD services, particularly considering the fact that we plan to greatly expand our HD programming later this year. With the successful launch of DIRECTV 10--currently targeted to lift-off in late June--we remain on schedule to offer up to 100 HD channels by the end of this year. With this added capacity, we expect to offer significantly more HD channels than most of our competitors, providing DIRECTV with an important advantage in this rapidly growing market."

THE DIRECTV GROUP'S OPERATIONAL REVIEW

Lease Program. On March 1, 2006, DIRECTV U.S. introduced a set-top receiver lease program primarily to increase future profitability by providing DIRECTV U.S. with the opportunity to retrieve and reuse set-top receivers. Under this new program, set-top receivers are capitalized and depreciated over their estimated useful lives of three years. Prior to March 1, 2006, set-top receivers provided to new and existing DIRECTV U.S. subscribers were immediately expensed upon activation as a subscriber acquisition, upgrade or retention cost. The lease program is expected to result in a reduction in all of these costs. The amount of set-top receivers capitalized during the period is now reported in the DIRECTV U.S. Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows under the captions "Cash paid for subscriber leased equipment - subscriber acquisitions" and "Cash paid for subscriber leased equipment - upgrade and retention." The amount of cash DIRECTV U.S. paid during the quarter ended March 31, 2007 for leased set-top receivers totaled $406 million - $188 million for subscriber acquisitions and $218 million for upgrade and retention. By comparison, in March 2006 DIRECTV paid $86 million for leased equipment - $46 million for subscriber acquisitions and $40 million for upgrade and retention.

we remain on schedule to offer up to 100 HD channels by the end of this year
Notice the "up to" not that they are going to offer 100 HD channels. I think some folks are thinking DirecTV will have 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

I do like the fact that it seems as though HD and DVR users are driving the market. It is amazing technology.

Notice the "up to" not that they are going to offer 100 HD channels. I think some folks are thinking DirecTV will have 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

I do like the fact that it seems as though HD and DVR users are driving the market. It is amazing technology.

Also notice that DirecTv does not label these as "National HD channels" just HD channels. Seems like they could count their HD LIL's as part of that "100 HD channels".

"With the successful launch of DIRECTV 10--currently targeted to lift-off in late June--we remain on schedule to offer up to 100 HD channels by the end of this year."

You have got to love word play.:D

Also notice that DirecTv does not label these as "National HD channels" just HD channels. Seems like they could count their HD LIL's as part of that "100 HD channels".

D* is offering, as of the addition of KOMO in Seattle and KATU in Portland, OR, 232 local channels in 59 markets in HD. Please stop saying that the HD LiLs are part of the "100 HD channels". If that was so, this silly argument would have been over a year ago!

Satellite Guys... America's DirecTV MISInformation source...

Im sorry we are not SPONSORED by DIRECTV like some other sites.

If we counted LIL HD channels both companies would already have over 100.

If we counted LIL HD channels both companies would already have over 100.

Don't be sorry - or really so defensive, because while you aren't "SPONSORED" by DISH, it is extememly obvious that you are probably closer to them than even a sponsor would be (I mean they DO have their CEO come to your reception).

And I am not saying that as a knock, I think its great that you have that kind of relationship with them.

BTW, I believe it was E* sub (Voyager6) that began the D* will include the locals in their 100 count.

That's the way I read it.I do believe"up to" and"going to offer" is the same thing.:rolleyes:

Not from me - I said I'm not knocking his very close relationship with DISH. I also have no idea who on the other site is mocking this site - I go to both, I post on both, I like both.

I agree Sco. I can always tell which site I am on by the target of the majority of the snide comments. Its done by both users and admins on both sites. If I wanna know something about Dish - I come here. If I wanna know something about DirecTV - I go there.

Chris

What? You have to be sponsored by someone to put out accurate information? Where's the proof? I could just as easily say you are sponsored by Echostar... you certainly seem to be in a much cozier position with them.

Yup thats true.

But honestly, we both do things differently and if you think about it, its really not a bad thing. I am proud of the things I did there when I was there and I am proud of what I do here.

Again I will say I would chime in more about DirecTV however I don't have DirecTV so it really is hard for me to comment on it. Since I dont have any of their equipment I cant help people with ther equipment issues.

But with that said we do have staff that do and we are working to improve our DirecTV area for all.

And thats that. :)

Ok they got unreleased equipment, you were given and posted unreleased information. Both types of relationships seem very Cozy. Does your personal relationship with Sir Charles prevent you from criticizing them Scott?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)