DirecTV for HD or Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbrody

Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Just got a HDTV this weekend and now I am trying to decide what to do for HD Service. I currently have OTA working for Locals and I want to get a HD DVR.

Called DTV and they told me there is no ETA on the HD DVR's and they offered me a $150 discount on the DVR/HD Install and $15 off programming for 12 months.

I called C* (which just switched over from A*) and the price appears to be higher (after promos) but I can get the service right away with a HD DVR.

I have been a DTV customer for 10 years and I am having a hard time leaving, but I also don't want to pay for a DVR and be locked in on a commitment for 2years (if FIOS comes in).

Also from reading the forum it appears the HD quality is really not there with DTV compared to Cable. At this point I want to ensure I get a high quality HD signal for my DVR recording, so I guess cable is the best option for this now? I know I will lose quality on the analog channels with cable, however we watch the Digital Tier channels more than analog channels. HD On Demand is also something cable offers over D*. Has there been any improvement in the HD quality with D* recently based on the 'noise' about HD lite?

Any advice is appreciated. Again I have been very happy with D* however it appears everything is pointing me to cable now?

Both have there postivies, it really comes down to what you personally like. I like your self are in a bit if a jam. Becouse I also want to upgrade to the HD DVR, but am one the wait list. Though I am overall happy with DTV so I will wait it out. If you can hold on a bit the reward may be worth it as they expand next year. About two years ago, I went to comcast, becouse I did not want to pay for my standard HD box. Three months I had it. I did not like the service. I got a deal and went back. I know this is not the experice everyone has with comcast!. I enjoy Sunday Ticket, so that is also big for me. I hope one day DTV the can get the technology for on demand stuff, that would be nice for pay per views.... I have had directv for about six years, minus the three months I tried comcast.

Just my two cents...

If I could to do it all over again I would choose cable . There is just too much nonsense going on with D*. Even if down the road you decide you want D* it is not like you can't change over.

Or you could get cable temporary and by the time the special offers about to expire, D* should have more of the new DVRs available.

I would choose my Cable over D* if I could do it again but it differs with how your local cable company is....

My Cable has been improving their HD channels and their cable guides are 10x better than D*

Thanks for your opinions. I decided to try C*. They give me a deal for $39.99 for all channels for 12 months. So my cable bill with DVR's, etc will be less than my D*bill even with the incentives they were giving. So I guess I will see how C* works out and then I can decide again in 12 months which way to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts