directv has blown out my tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glenzilla

Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I have had 2 different incidents that while sitting watching my tv ,seeing the signal directv sent then my screen blowing out. I had to replace on of my tv and now had to order a lamp or my new toshiba 62 in tv(6mo old).
Has anyone else had this problem with the directv signal being sent? Is there a filter out there that can prevent this?

I've never heard of a signal harming a tv or blowing lamps and don't see how that can be possible.

As directvfreak said, it sounds like a surge on your tv. As far as the lamp, they can blow before their expected life. I've seen that happen. Assuming your keeping up with your maintenance on the projector (or projection tv), then the cause for a lamp to blow is usually a defective lamp.

Note, not all projectors or projection tv's require maintenance. The ones that do call for filters to be cleaned periodically. If that isn't done, it can cause problems.

Do you have a UPS with surge protection for your TV? I bought an APC unit that cost about $80 to protect my home theatre equipment. I would highly recommend one if you don't have one already.

Nope everyone is wrong. Its a conspiracy, Directv is sending signals out to mess up everyones TV man. They are in the pockets of the TV manufacturers. Get your filters out immediately!!!

Van said:
Probably has a dozen devices on that outlette.
all my surge protects have 12 plus devices hooked up
never had a single problem, alkthough had everywire in the house replaced except for the romax.

Mine did the same thing... three times... switched to Dish and all is good. Thankfully the T.V.'s were still under warranty.

Uh, it's kind of possible, actually, and it's not an issue of electrical surges.

Some of the first Samsung HD boxes sent out super-hot video signal which literally fried input boards on some TVs. I know from personal experience, it killed the HD inputs on a couple of sets — and sent out super bright signals — when I reviewed one back in the day.

Someone not knowing better could have, in theory, watched their set (Toshibas tend to have very sturdy inputs) in that supernova mode and killed a lamp.

If he has a Samsung box, I'd be more inclined to think that's what happened.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)