Directv HBO closed captions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Cookeville, TN
Recently I was a VOOM subscriber but gave them up for Directv. I was wondering if HBO shows captions on the HD channel of theirs. I presently have the Directv HD package but have not subscribed to HBO as yet because I want to be able to get that channel with captions. I know they are available on a standard hbo channel because I get them with the 4DTV system which I am about to shut down.

I have yet to see closed captions on any HD channel on Satellite except for the OTA/ via antenna.

Lem52

HBO supports closed captioning in almost all of it programming and this is indicated by the "CC" at that start of most programs. Also, I have yet to see a DirecTV receiver that does not support CC, I know the HTL-HD does as that is the one I own. I hope this helps you!

I just bought the HTL-HD also. I have my Mitsubshi set for captioning. It always works on the standard channels. I guess I will contact HBO to make sure that they send them with the HD signal. So far, I have never heard from anyone that is getting them with the HD signal and thats what I want.

Lem52

Your Mitsu has nothing to do with this unless you're using coax to connect, which I guess you would be. Either way I would set the CC in your HTL-HD ... not on your TV.

I am using componet and dvi connections. I watch the DVI connection the most as the picture appears to be better. Captions still don't work in either connection except for standard channels. I have tried it all, turning off captions on tv, turning on captions on HD reciever, then vice versa. On an OTA 16.9 HD picture, I can get captions.

Lem52

Wow, that is hokey ... I'll test mine when I get home and let you know but I am almost positive that MOST channels carry this service, that is why there are like 6 menu choices on the HTL-HD.

Here is the FCC info on the requirement ... your movies should be golden, but like I said I'll cehck it out when I get home.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/ccfactsh.html

I am beginning to think that there is a problem with the tv set. It is supposed to get captions. I saw a review one time where a person bought a tv like mine and said that it wouldn't do captions on HD. I have saw the menus for DTV and closed captions on Analog.

Mine won't do captions playing a DVD with my progressive scan player and I have to set up for sub titles. On Interlaced mode captions work fine. I have had this tv since March.

Lem52

Okay, I just ran through all the programming and did some sampling for you. I get CC on most of the channels including HBOHD, SHOHD, I also tried Cartoon Network, TNT, USA, FOOD, and about 10 others . There was not CC on ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNet Movies or but there was on the CBS West HD, even for the news. All I did was go into closed caption and select caption 1.

SO I didn’t make any adjustments on my TV or AV receiver or place else. One thing I am with you on is Voom stinks. They have potential but they gave me 2 FREE months of VaVaVoom and I still cancelled after less then 3 weeks of total service.

Thanks slacker9876! I just subscribed to HBO and I get captions on HBO HD which was what I wanted. I guess the others like Discovery HD, HDNET, etc. just are not sending them when they are listed as having captions. Thanks again for your help!

Lem52

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)