Directv Hd Personal Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ELMWOOD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I have been a dtv customer for over 12 years now. I called about acquiring HD service. They were nice and it will be basically free for install.
I really want to install this myself as I have done many installations of sd equipment before. I know I have the proper line of site for HD sats also. The thing is I have my two dishes mounted on a pole that connects from the ground to the facia board. I know when a installer sees this he will immediately say a roof mount is needed. I do not want this. I want the equipment and to install this myself. Is there any way to do this?

btw: I only need one HD receiver for now.

I have been a dtv customer for over 12 years now. I called about acquiring HD service. They were nice and it will be basically free for install.
I really want to install this myself as I have done many installations of sd equipment before. I know I have the proper line of site for HD sats also. The thing is I have my two dishes mounted on a pole that connects from the ground to the facia board. I know when a installer sees this he will immediately say a roof mount is needed. I do not want this. I want the equipment and to install this myself. Is there any way to do this?

btw: I only need one HD receiver for now.

You can buy the Slimline dish and receiver yourself from several online suppliers. The pole would have to be replaced, since you need a 2" pole for the new dish. If the pole doesn't extend too far above the mounting point, maybe two or three feet, then you could use a sleeve on it to make it 2". Can you post a picture of the current dish and pole?

You can buy the Slimline dish and receiver yourself from several online suppliers. The pole would have to be replaced, since you need a 2" pole for the new dish. If the pole doesn't extend too far above the mounting point, maybe two or three feet, then you could use a sleeve on it to make it 2". Can you post a picture of the current dish and pole?

Sure I can post one in the morning.

Here are the photos.

Attachments

• diish.jpg
    diish.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 186
  • dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 189
Here are the photos.

Depending on how sturdy that pipe is, you may be able to install a Slimline the same way, but I doubt it. They are heavier and need to be much more stable than the older dishes. Can you install a 2" pipe maybe four or five feet high? That way you could mount the Slimline on the top and another one below it if you want to.

Yea no installer is going to mount a slimline like that. It would be moving that thing all over the place. You are going to either have to install a pole, pay the installer to put in a pole, or do a roof mount.

I figured a installer would say no. I have had a 33 inch and motor on this pole and no problems with movement ever.

I say go the online route and just try it since you have the know how. You can always try another method if it doesn't work or you aren't satisfied. Be aware though that even if you install it yourself the activation likely will add to or give you a contract. I never see this as any issue because I don't "frog jump" from service to service, but just be aware.

Another question; why in the world is that OTA antenna so low?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)