DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They told me that I need a RVU Samsung TV required to install a Home Media Center DVR. That is not true, correct? I signed up for two HD-DVR's, 2 HD Rcvrs and a SD Receiver instead.
I'm signed up for Premiere pack to guarantee 2011 pricing until 2013.

You don't need a Samsung. When did they tell you that?

Hi, all. Had my install moved up today. It is a no go. There is a tree in the LOS. :( No HR34 for me. :(
They were looking every were to see if they could get around it but no such luck.
looks like I'm sticking with Dish network for now.

Later,

John

Interesting, the Dish Net Sat array spans a larger area than D*, they should not have any trouble from the location your DISH dish is at, unless your using the Eastern Arc for DISH.

You only need 5* for D*, 99,101 and 103

Jimbo said:
Call them back... remind them that the HR34 is NOT RELATED to RVU and you can get it without RVU capable TV's.

Or justell them that you bought an RVU tv set.

DAVEGTESTR said:
They told me that I need a RVU Samsung TV required to install a Home Media Center DVR. That is not true, correct? I signed up for two HD-DVR's, 2 HD Rcvrs and a SD Receiver instead.
I'm signed up for Premiere pack to guarantee 2011 pricing until 2013.

Definitely not true. I have HR34 with two H25s. The reps are still very confused on this device. Check your PMs!

Interesting, the Dish Net Sat array spans a larger area than D*, they should not have any trouble from the location your DISH dish is at, unless your using the Eastern Arc for DISH.

They were here for about 2 hours looking and called a couple other installers that come by and they could not find a spot for it. There is a neighbors tree to close me. :( To get above the tree they were at 43 elevation.

They were here for about 2 hours looking and called a couple other installers that come by and they could not find a spot for it. There is a neighbors tree to close me. :( To get above the tree they were at 43 elevation.

Didn't you say you had a DISH Network set up previously ?

That points at 101, 119 and 129 normally.
D* points at 99, 101 and 103, sometimes 110 and 119 as well, but you can see that they are clearly inside the signal that DISH uses.

I wonder how good your DISH Network signal was, maybe it was becoming blocked and the D* guys don't want to chance it.

Sometimes they won't set it up if they think the tree is large enough that it will block the signal once it is in full bloom.

Can you post a picture of your dish and what your hitting ?

Close...
110, 119, and 129 (WA)
As you speculated earlier the directv orbitals might be blocked slightly or completely

That is what I said in post #250

If the Dish Net set up was not having trouble then the D* set up shouldn't either seeing it points across only 5* spread ....

Couple of bug reports.

I still cannot access Directv Cinema, but a helpful person at DBS said adding 1000 and 1100 to his favorites cleared that up, so I will try tonight. When I checked the HR34 this AM, it had recorded the SAME program twice at the SAME time, kinda funny. I guess one of the spare tuners got lonely :)

Reported to Directv.

photo.jpg

On a positive note, its working well with the 2TB EHD and last night I had 8 HD programs and still showed 99% :)

I used to have Dish and when I moved to a rental while I build a house, I went with cable. I'm really hating it and I'm looking forward to going back to satellite. Was thinking I would go back to Dish but want to have at least 2 TV's, share a DVR, and watch HD on both of them. Sounds like the Whole Home DVR is really what I want. Dish is still working on theirs so I'm thinking DirecTV might be the way to go. I did the wiring for my new house and wanted to make sure it was correctly wired for this. At a minimum, I ran 1 CAT5E and 1 RG6 to a location. I plan on the main TV location to be in the basement so there I ran 3 RG6 just to be sure. I also have a couple of pull wires from the basement to the attic over the garage so the wire from the dish doesn't have to go down the side of the house.

What is required for wiring to do the Whole Home DVR? I read thru the thread but didn't see anything talking about it. Also, one of the TV's will be over the fireplace and I will need to buy that one. If I get one of the Samsung TV's they list will I not need a HD receiver? If I'm right, how will that connect to the HR34?

Thanks

Last edited:

With Dish network I don't have HD. My dish is pointed at 110 and 119 there is just enough room between two trees to hit 110 & 119. With Directv you move a little more south and there is a taller tree plus I set on a hill and the tree is up above me. :(
Later,

John

Didn't you say you had a DISH Network set up previously ?

That points at 101, 119 and 129 normally.
D* points at 99, 101 and 103, sometimes 110 and 119 as well, but you can see that they are clearly inside the signal that DISH uses.

I wonder how good your DISH Network signal was, maybe it was becoming blocked and the D* guys don't want to chance it.

Sometimes they won't set it up if they think the tree is large enough that it will block the signal once it is in full bloom.

Can you post a picture of your dish and what your hitting ?
Just reread your post. I would like to post a pic for you but not going to Climb up on the roof to get a picture. I could pm you my address and you could look at Google earth?
Yes I have dish network. Looking at 110 and 119. When it get really windy my picture starts to pixelation.
Later,

John

Ok. No Cinema on HR34 was fixed by adding 1100 and 1000 to favs, BUT I could not access anything, like Hbo VOD for example, it just went blank when clicking. Once I went back to my favorites (custom 1) and added channels like 1501, I can now access them like normal.  It's a ok workaround, but having to have those 1000 channel's in my guide is annoying. 

How do I get the HR34? I am an existing customer. I don't see it anywhere on their website.
Do they allow self install, or do they require that a technician comes out to install?

george99 said:
How do I get the HR34? I am an existing customer. I don't see it anywhere on their website.
Do they allow self install, or do they require that a technician comes out to install?

You will not be able to order one from DIRECTV until some time in February if you are an existing customer.
If you want one now you will have to order from a retailer and pay $399.00.
You can get one from Value Electronics. Call them and speak to Robert. I can highly recommend them, great service.

That is what I said in post #250

If the Dish Net set up was not having trouble then the D* set up shouldn't either seeing it points across only 5* spread ....

Been a while since I've posted frequently, so not sure how to do multi-quotes.
Regardless, in #250 you stated 101, 119 and 129 for Dish. A bit different than 110. Which is what I was addressing.
Not a big deal; except the fact 101 is 9 degrees further south. Furthermore the 99 is even further than that. So those two factors may have been why the D* installer couldn't make things happen even though he has a working E* system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)