Directv Install this weekend

Status
Please reply by conversation.

unk

Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hey all first post, glad to meet you.

I have a basic install for 2 rooms scheduled for this Sat. I have a couple questions on how my install will go. I currently live in a 2-level studio/apt. I have a large backyard patio with dirt, fenced in with tall strong fence. I have slidiing glass doors out to the patio. Now, the wall seperating the patio and studio is Brick. Im sure I cannot have a new hole drilled through the brick, what are my options? I do have a power outlet outside that comes through the brick already.. right behind my tv. I opened the inside conduit box thing, and saw the hole through the brick with 1 wire. Will it be easier to take out the innards of the outside box, and use the hole for the coax coming in? How many Coax lines must be run from the dish for a 2 room setup? Looks like the hole can only handle about 2 coax. Well thanks for reading, Any help appreciated - unk

First off hello to you and welcome.

I have to ask if you rent or own that apartment? If you rent, you REALLY need to make sure all your bases are covered regarding this install. If you own it, no biggie.

Not being able to see what you are describing, if you already have an acceptable access into your TV wall, then I am sure the installer will avoid the extra trouble and use that opening. If the power box is city property, then maybe not. For a basic 2 room each room will get 1 line.

I do rent, but have the ability to have a dish. SBC Home entertainment is the culprit, and the reason for me going directly to Directv. Basicly, I would of had to buy a de-stacker (160$) for me to use my R10 with SBC, and it cost me 21$ for directv install.

Also with sliding glass doors, anyone using a flat coaxial?

You could use a flat cable, but I would bet the installer will not have them or they'll try to charge you sopme unheard of price if they are HSP. Have you approved the dish install with management ot leasing office?? If I rewad correctly you said com-lex already has satellite thru SBC.. so I would check with management to see if they allow a single dish to be installed.

When I first signed up with D over 10 years ago, there was a product called a Glass Link. It was made by Toshiba, and was used for passing the signal through windows or glass doors. I don't know if it's still out there, but if you could find one it would be the easiest way to go.

Yes, we can have our own dish on the property, which is why I am going this route.
I checked on the glass link.. runs about $79.99 for single pane glass at accessorywarehouse

I think I might spring for the 2$ flat cable, if the installer cant go through my electrical box.

unk said:
Yes, we can have our own dish on the property, which is why I am going this route.
I checked on the glass link.. runs about $79.99 for single pane glass at accessorywarehouse

I think I might spring for the 2$ flat cable, if the installer cant go through my electrical box.

I used to live in an apartment and needed the coax to run through sliding glass doors. The flat coax works great, but keep in mind that if you open and close your door a lot, the cable will wear out. I was told this and ordered a few extra cables since they are so cheap.

I don't know why these aren't sold in more places, I could only find them online. It seems to me that a lot of people could use these to make their installs simpler.

Im noticing that right now, called a dozen place.. I can only finde them online. what gives! :eek:

UNK where you located, I can get you some flatwires. I have'nt checked radio shack but I get them at Mid-States Electric. I'm in Omaha. P.S. You might want to think about Dish Network, they just added 10 more HD channels.

I found them at Fry's Electronics for 3$ The Installer would have charged 17$.

BTW My install was pushed to this Thurs because Directv screwed my order.

One question will I recieve 2 dishes? or just one? for a 2 room setup with directivo in one room, and one regular directv box in the other.

Thats the setup I have right now with 1 dish. If you're getting a 3 lnb oval dish like mine, it will have 4 lines coming from it. That will give you the option of hooking up one more regular reciever somewhere or put another Tivo in the second room. I replaced my SD tivo with a HD one and will be replacing the regular box with the SD Tivo soon. The 3 lnb dish has a built in multiswitch to allow that. Now, if you are getting round 2 lnb dish, I think you still have time to switch. It'll be easier. I'd call and find out. Good luck and enjoy D*

If you're getting a Tivo and another reciever you will need three lines from the dish. Two for the Tivo and 1 for the other reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)