DirecTV lays off hundreds of managers as cord cutting accelerates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Go put an application in
So no evidence, as usual.

And I do not need/want a job, I like being a lazy bum.

Those are delivery jobs, not warehouse workers.

Their posting for warehouse workers promotes benefits that are available to warehouse workers, nothing about them being contractors.

Another misinformed contribution to a thread by Juan. A satelliteguys staple of misinformation and distractions.

How did this thread turn into an Amazon thread ?

Back on topic ...
When ATT was with D* ...
There would be layoffs Every year ...

Shortly after, they would hire, different Job Title. (doing the same thing mostly)

Reactions: John2021
They've always been high for these services, my moms DirecTV has almost $50 in fees unique to DirecTV, instantly saved if she moves to YTTV for example.

These losses are more to do with better offerings and changing habits and DirecTV has a model that is hard to pivot from with such high customer acquisition costs. So they lose all of those customers unless they can get them to shift to the streaming product. The economy just exacerbates this, but they've been losing subs longer than inflation has been in the headlines, and losing Sunday Ticket will drive more churn on top of existing reasons.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
our neighbors tried getting a one year promo and DTV told em sorry no discounts for you. they told em thet only had 3 months left in there contract and to go screw :eek: there going to a streaming service. needless to say the rep didn't care!!! we got one but we had to get blood from a turnip:eek::mad:. not a good business practice..

our neighbors tried getting a one year promo and DTV told em sorry no discounts for you. they told em thet only had 3 months left in there contract and to go screw :eek: there going to a streaming service. needless to say the rep didn't care!!! we got one but we had to get blood from a turnip:eek::mad:. not a good business practice..
I am really surprised at how entitled people think they are to discounts. Do these people shop at stores like this too? $800 for this TV? I demand you sell it to me for $700! The Sat companies are under a tremendous amount of stress... and people think that means they owe them even more of a discount.

I am really surprised at how entitled people think they are to discounts. Do these people shop at stores like this too? $800 for this TV? I demand you sell it to me for $700! The Sat companies are under a tremendous amount of stress... and people think that means they owe them even more of a discount.

I think it's a product of the inequity in how customers are treated. I just got a 12 month $50 credit re-upped for mom, we also hadn't received Sunday Ticket free 'like everyone else' for the last few years until this past season (which was done without even asking). Of course since that credit really is largely just covering for the DirecTV-exclusive fees (+ $3!) it just dulls the massive negatives inherent in their service.

I'm not one to do the CSR roulette thing though, if we're ultimately unhappy w/ the value proposition it'd just hasten mom's departure from the service now that she's getting more used to the streaming options. Things like Days of our Lives going streaming-only have helped in this regard too.

Reactions: Yespage
When I had DirecTV I usually did well with promotions and credits.

I referred a friend once and he was not able to get any kind of deals with DirecTV. At first I couldn't understand why and then realized he had terrible credit and was always late paying his bills.

I quit referring him to any good deals I found after that!

Stress from losing customers because their prices are too high

I find this amusing because when ATT took over DirecTV they not only got rid of the old but knowledgeable and effective upper management, they laid off a lot of the people that made the place run smooth and kept problems under control. I was hoping when ATT took a back seat in the day to day operations things would get better but I guess they have to blame somebody for poor marketing strategy or pricing themselves out of the market so here they go again hacking away at employees.

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos talking about more merger talks with Dish. Personally, I think Hollywood is in deep trouble! A big lack of new movies and new stars. Older stars are retired or dead. Streaming is cutting back as well. The future of the industry hurting and in danger. The industry is based on advertisement and companies are going to social media instead of TV.

Reactions: navychop
I have seen a couple of YouTube videos talking about more merger talks with Dish. Personally, I think Hollywood is in deep trouble! A big lack of new movies and new stars. Older stars are retired or dead. Streaming is cutting back as well. The future of the industry hurting and in danger. The industry is based on advertisement and companies are going to social media instead of TV.

What metrics are you basing this kind of thing off of? Coming out of a pandemic I think it's the opposite, things are going to wind back up and hit their stride again over the next 18 months. If anything aberrations at the box office will likely be due more to players like Netflix and Apple spending money on talent for their streaming projects that would have otherwise been on the big screen.

What metrics are you basing this kind of thing off of? Coming out of a pandemic I think it's the opposite, things are going to wind back up and hit their stride again over the next 18 months. If anything aberrations at the box office will likely be due more to players like Netflix and Apple spending money on talent for their streaming projects that would have otherwise been on the big screen.
Disney Netflix and others are cutting back and cancelling a lot of productions. The big screen are cutting back as well. Movie theaters are empty and streaming doesn't pay enough. Even new TV shows in fall 2022 had the fewest episodes and the most reruns ever! Discovery channel is cutting several of their reality shows. This spring the fewest new tv shows ever. The list goes on and on.

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
Disney Netflix and others are cutting back and cancelling a lot of productions.
Netflix is producing about the same amount of hours as before, as is Disney+ except Disney is focusing on shows that bring subscribers to the service, Star Wars ( 4 Series this year) and Marvel ( 4-5 Series this year)

Canceling is a different story, Netflix ( and other Streaming Providers) knowns to the second how many are watching their content, unlike Traditional TV which basically a poll .
The big screen are cutting back as well. Movie theaters are empty and streaming doesn't pay enough.
Streaming pay plenty, hence why we see so many big actors do streaming stuff.

Theaters are not doing so well because of Covid, think of the time frame, most movies that would of premiered in 2022 would have to be made in 2020/2021, what was going on then?
Even new TV shows in fall 2022 had the fewest episodes and the most reruns ever!
Because of the ratings drop on Traditional Channels, over 30 million no longer subscribe to Live TV, of course that will have a negative effect on Traditional TV during this transition to streaming.

Some may not like it, but it is happening, cannot dispute the math.
Discovery channel is cutting several of their reality shows. This spring the fewest new tv shows ever. The list goes on and on.
Warner/Discovery is $50 Billion in debt, almost out of cash, bond/interest payments due and every movie flopped at the Box Office in 2022 except for Batman, for example Black Adam is said to have lost $200 million.

And the Discovery suite of channels is extremely dependent on per sub fees, which I wrote before, is over 30 million per sub fees down from a high of 100 million just 8 years ago.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon