Directv minimum subscription?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chuckles

Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Some years ago I had a $7 minimum subscription to Directv (gave me Bloomberg channel and nothing else) to which I added a premium channel. (I did not want the base channels because I had them on cable already---why I did not give up cable is a separate discussion).

Anyway I recently mentioned this to a colleague who went and asked about it...but directv said no, he had to get a $35 package before he could add any premium channels. Dish had no problem with the same request (they would charge a $5/month service fee) but he has a tree precisely blocking the 119 satellite.

Is the Directv response really true, or does it depend on when/whom you ask? OK, full disclosure, in both cases the premium channel is/was Playboy. I gave up my Playboy-plus-$7 subscription maybe 5 years ago.

Total Choice is the minimum for new subscribers

I have DIsh and all I have is locals
5.99 + 5 surcharge

Are you sure he has a Line of Sight issue?

Iceberg said:
Are you sure he has a Line of Sight issue?
Yes, he has had Dish guys crawl around on his roof with compasses and clinometers. And the tree is the neighbor's, not his own; this is a problem with the 119 sat being so far west of us.

I wonder why Directv won't compete with Dish for subscribers with specific channel preferences.

Actually if you check the contract with Directv "Opcion Extra" at $26.99 is the new minimum programming package with Directv. This is very competetive with AT-60, from DISH. For both DISH and Directv a $7/mo. programming package just isn't profitable. If they can't show a profit why should they offer it?

boba said:
For both DISH and Directv a $7/mo. programming package just isn't profitable. If they can't show a profit why should they offer it?
As I said in the original post, Dish DOES offer it, so it must be profitable. $5/month plus the cost of the premium channels. Iceberg's post says he gets local channels from Dish the same way, no package required.

I think the reason they did away with the cheaper options was because of the hackers would use a cheap package and then have their cards reprogrammed to get all the channels. I would think now that they are using the better smart cards they could start selling the programming just like Dish Network does and their is no way they would be losing money by just selling the premium channels. Of course if they are going to give the equipment to you for free you would still need to buy the basic package for a year.

MikeHDTulsa said:
Of course if they are going to give the equipment to you for free you would still need to buy the basic package for a year.
Yes, of course.

boba said:
Actually if you check the contract with Directv "Opcion Extra" at $26.99 is the new minimum programming package with Directv. This is very competetive with AT-60, from DISH. For both DISH and Directv a $7/mo. programming package just isn't profitable. If they can't show a profit why should they offer it?

Bob
In April of this year, I went to locals and WPIX only (from AT60) with no qualms.

Purchaed my own equipment :)

As I said in the original post, Dish DOES offer it, so it must be profitable

Not everything is a question of profitability. Convience is a big issue when you are in a service industry. They may have good success recruiting these customers for further programming.

$120/mo Dish customer thinking of switching to DTV

Is it possible to have both Dish and DTV working at the same time without having to have seperate Dishes for each ?

I currently have Dish's Everything Pak + locals + HD pak including CBSHD + Distants of Fox & NBC + Superstations. It costs me $120 / mo. What would the equivilent cost with DTV.

You probably surmised, I'm contemplating switching. I've been with Dish since mid 90s but if DTV really gets all the HD they're talking about, I've got to give it serious thought.

Stunt_101 said:
$120 hahaha you must be rich or just an idiot

Very helpful response.

What would the equivilent cost with DTV.

I have every channel D* offers including the HD package and E and W feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and I pay around 105 a month. When I had playboy also it was around 120 a month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)