Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
All I see there is that Mitch should be a E* customer. There is a choice, he like many list what he prefers, states that it is on E* and not D* and then to my absolute amazement, sends D* a check every month. The "Observer" is just htat. I am fairly certain that Sean knows more about this subject, but since he was published Sean gives him merit. I don't think D* is taking a hit at all. Perceptions, a pro E* reader would see it this way. A pro D* reader, no. Me, I have stated that I would have gone to E* if not for the NFL, so I don't feel I have bias and this observers observations have no bearing on anything. How could you write that and still be a D* sub?

I agree with D* I would prefer quality over quantity any day. Isn't that what HD is all about? I don't need to see re-runs of bonanza and Knight Rider in HD. I 'd rather not have to have a freakin antenna cause isn't that the whole point of having Sat or cable??!!

I think alot of D* people would leave if it wasn't for being along time customer and having alot invested in D* equipment. It's hard to leave when you been with something for 4, 5, 6 years and have every thing installed and running the way you want it. Although they are pushing alot of peoples buttons and some are feed up with it. ie......No new HD for sometime now (more coming in 07, so they say, and is along way off 6 months at least) new DVR that so for I haven't heard alot of good things about, new big ass heavy bulky dish, Taking HD away to feed the NFL-ST people (not all D* people cares about, including me, I got 7 games last week without ST) So what does D* do...give stuff away, which inturn is passed on to the customers in one way or another.
If it wasn't for ESPN HD I wouldn't need SAT or Cable...OTA is the way to go. Free and better quality

rkr0923 got it right. Lots of people and including my self are not going to leave because of the money invested in D* equipment. Also my whole family knows the programing and channels to go to. Change would hard and costly.

Change is always hard but sometimes it is welcome. Dish has better guide with their channels in a logical progression. All sd news channels are together from 200- 212, all premium sd movie channels in the 300-356 , all variety channels in the 105-138 and 180-198 with all sports channels from 140 - 154, all video music from 157-167, all kiddie channels from 169-179, all hd channels from 9420-9486. All locals can be mapped to the lowest channels ,even hd locals. The picture quality is better with Dish over all on both sd and hd . The hd dvr receiver works very well with name based recording -and new updates will bring native resolution and external hard drive archiving. The lease price is cheaper for the hd dvr at 199.99 . The price is cheaper with the Platinum pack with locals at 104.99 the best deal for all sd and hd programming.

Try it and you will like it. You can always come back to Directv if you don't after your commitment is up. I've had both and perfer Dish on price , programming , cutting edge receivers.

Here's what Dish doesn't have: YES-HD and NFLST.

Oh, and my CBS and FOX distants aren't in jeopardy and D* hasn't had to go to court over their DVRs.

I highly disagree. My friend had dish and we both hated their guide. I speant quite sometime playing with his receiver and I am more then happy with DTV.

JerryVolunteer said:
I highly disagree. My friend had dish and we both hated their guide. I speant quite sometime playing with his receiver and I am more then happy with DTV.
what receiver?

[PIE]"But you can't treat the customers like morons anymore. (Telco TV) is coming and from what people are saying, the picture quality will likely blow away cable and satellite."[/PIE]To me, this sentence says it all...people aren't going to be jerked around when they have more, and perhaps better choices.

riffjim4069 said:
[PIE]"But you can't treat the customers like morons anymore. (Telco TV) is coming and from what people are saying, the picture quality will likely blow away cable and satellite."[/PIE]To me, this sentence says it all...people aren't going to be jerked around when they have more, and perhaps better choices.

For those who are not familiar with Telco TV read on:

Worldwide adoption of IP-based TV is expected to grow significantly in coming years, though the U.S. will only be a bit player in the market, according to researchers from In-Stat Tuesday.

The Scottsdale, Ariz.-based market research firm predicts 32 million subscribers will be watching TV provided by telecommunications providers in 2009, up from 1.6 million at the end of 2004.

IPTV (define) is expected to provide the foundation for a new industry of premium services by telephone providers and for consumers. With television as the basic service, telcos can sell extensions, such as video on demand (VoD), digital video recording (DVR) and interactive TV.

According to the In-Stat report, "Telco TV in Mass Deployment Phase," worldwide revenues in the premium services space will surpass $600 million in 2009.

IP-based providers can also bundle the TV service into the highly sought-after triple play of the broadband world: VoIP (define), high-speed Internet access and TV.

The U.S., which requires new entrants to sign local franchise contracts before they can provide television, is expected to lag behind the rest of the world, according to Michelle Abraham, In-Stat analyst.

"The current franchise regulations -- needing a franchise license to serve a community -- really does require a lot of negotiation with each community," she said.

According to Abraham, the North American region is expected to make the least significant contribution to the predicted 32 million subscribers by 2009. The lion's share of the subscribers will come from Europe and Asia, where the telco providers in those countries have already been providing the service.

She said many other countries can deploy TV services after gaining federal government approvals, not through negotiations with local communities.

The leaders in the IPTV space, Abraham said, are companies like France's Free Telecom and France Telecom, Italy's FastWeb, Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom and Japan's Yahoo BB.

Abraham said the North American telcos are definitely picking up the pace of their IPTV activities. Baby Bells like SBC (Quote, Chart) and Verizon (Quote, Chart) are rolling out miles of the fiber-optic cabling needed to provide the service, and are looking at the premium services that will help fund the initiative.

SBC plans to pass 18 million homes in the next three years, while Verizon has been working on securing franchising agreements with local communities.

There are indications state authorities are looking for the means to get IPTV into the communities quicker than the existing method. Recently the Texas state lawmakers passed a bill to grant a statewide video franchise, which the governor is expected to sign.

Commissioners from the Federal Communications Commission are looking for the means to update the current policy.

Referencing a 622 & 211 vs D* hd boxes(hr10-250, rg HD boxes and the h20's) the 622 can do pip without having to have the tv do it, the guide is much faster then the h20, hr10, not my older hd boxes though. I need local subscription on E* for the guide to show local OTA where as D* boxes picks it up. DVR functions seems fine with both, but only had E* for 3 days and recorded maybe 6 shows but all came out. Tivo was solid though. I got the regular HD box free and the 622 for $199 but got $20 credit for 10 months so it is a wash their. I agree on the channel numbers as my wife last night was ask "what channel is this, what channel is this now" but when she found HGTVHD boy she was happy then. I am selling old sd boxes on ebay and keeping hd ones as I might go back when more HD is available later next year. Vonage does not work with the E* boxes I have come to find out so there are downers as that is $5 more a month.
To each his own...sure wish D* would be able to add more HD as I love the ST, but, with 3 HD tv a handful of channles 6 days a week just can't cut it anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts