Directv: New HD

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
Directv finally adding new HD channels is cutting into DISHs edge. Adding IONEHD, DIYHD, NATGEOWILDHD, BBCAHD, and the HD feed of BEin, in addition to the Disney dispute missing HD channels (ABC FAMILY, DISNEY XD, DISNEYJR., ESPNNEWS, ESPU) and the missing AMCHD, and also the 24/7 HD RSNs ... Directv is looking better for HD addicts.

I agree. dish is losing HD channels and Directv has gained on dish. and if you look on dishes facebook page there are alot of people who have posted they have left dish. I have enjoyed my dish service. I have said i will never go back to directv. but, what if they add FEARnet before dish? i have said no to that as well. but, now i don't know.

I recently looked at Directv and it is no where near competitive with Dish with my setup and channel priorities.

I'm a Directv subscriber, but if Dish had the programming I wanted, I would consider switching. I'm a Yankee fan, so no Dish for me. See, it doesn't matter who has the "better" equipment if it doesn't get the channels I want to watch. I don't mean this as a knock on Dish. It's more a jab at those on both sides that think it matters who's dvr is better.

As tempting as DirecTV looks sometimes, I can never switch because they lack a single important channel that is watched more than any other in this household.
But, if they ever did start carrying it, I'd definitely take a look at what they had to offer in totality.

Comcast and Uverse carry it here, as well, but not in HD. If they added it in HD, I'd even take another look at them. But, their pricing and HW would both need to improve.

In the mean time, it's Dish for us, which is why I do complain when they mess up. Not only am I stuck with them, I also recognize their tremendous potential, and want to see them be the best that they can be. And, they are a long way from that goal.

Dish has the programming and hardware that I want. The programming disputes are getting old and who knows if I'll change my mind by the time my contract is up.

Having the setup I have currently though would make it harder to switch. I would have to spend a small fortune to get a similar setup with Direct.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Dish has the programming and hardware that I want. The programming disputes are getting old and who knows if I'll change my mind by the time my contract is up.

Having the setup I have currently though would make it harder to switch. I would have to spend a small fortune to get a similar setup with Direct.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys
AGREED!!! Would cost me $225.00 additional upfront to match my E* configuration, among other inadequacies.

Never say never. There are many things I wound't try & Directv is not 1 of them, just haven't pulled the trigger.....yet.

I still have Dish for one reason only, and that is I get my locals on Dish that I can't on DTV. That will soon change, however, and so will I.

Last edited:
i see the only good reason for ION HD is an soon to launch WWE programming called WWE Main Event.

The last season of Flashpoint is the other reason to watch ION. Everything else can be seen elsewhere on cable TV. Interesting story I went over to ION's website and they have no mention of WWE Main Event. It's supposed to debut on Oct. 3rd but their schedule has Leverage airing all evening. One thing that gets me is Main Event is supposed to be a step up from WWE Superstars, but ION is a step down from WGN.

I would consider ion and wgn about equal. Wgn requires a subscription service. Ion is available nationwide for free OTA in most markets.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts