DIRECTV Offers Free HD to Space Station

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moonman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
So. Fla.
DIRECTV today made a High-Definition TV offer that's out of this world.

Literally.

The satcaster says it's willing to install a complete high-def TV system in the International Space Station's orbital laboratory.

The set-up would include free programming, a 42-inch flat-screen HDTV, an HD DVR and even a "velcro-wrapped remote control," presumably to ensure that mission participants are not accidentally hit with a flying remote.
Story: DIRECTV Offers Free HD to Space Shuttle

DIRECTV today made a High-Definition TV offer that's out of this world.

Literally.

The satcaster says it's willing to install a complete high-def TV system in the International Space Station's orbital laboratory.

The set-up would include free programming, a 42-inch flat-screen HDTV, an HD DVR and even a "velcro-wrapped remote control," presumably to ensure that mission participants are not accidentally hit with a flying remote.
Story: DIRECTV Offers Free HD to Space Shuttle
haha well thats got to be a first. Wonder what they would do if the dish wasnt lined up perfectly

Man that is one hell of a FREE Install. :)

I wonder what Tech gets to go up there and fix it.

I am kind of wondering if they will be able to "Move" :D

I'd hate to think of all the return visits to get the install right (based on my bad experiences). :rolleyes:

Does the installer have to bring his own ladder?

Look at the bright side though, no LOS, no rain fade. But yeah, if there's a trouble call then they'll have to wait until the next shuttle goes up there. :rolleyes:

This has to be one of the stupidest publicity stunts. The Space Station is at an orbit about 200 miles and makes one orbit of the earth in about 90 minutes. The Space Station would have the ability to receive a signal at most 60 minutes during every 90 minute orbit using DirecTV's current satellites and that would require a dish with tracking capability. This is because the Space Station is blocked from the DirecTV satellites by the earth for at least a third of its orbit. I guess DirecTV doesn't carry if their publicity ignores science but it is just another example of the rampant science ignorance.

I hope they do a cleaner job of drilling through the side of the space station than they did drilling a hole in my house for the second line of my DVR...

This has to be one of the stupidest publicity stunts. The Space Station is at an orbit about 200 miles and makes one orbit of the earth in about 90 minutes. The Space Station would have the ability to receive a signal at most 60 minutes during every 90 minute orbit using DirecTV's current satellites and that would require a dish with tracking capability. This is because the Space Station is blocked from the DirecTV satellites by the earth for at least a third of its orbit. I guess DirecTV doesn't carry if their publicity ignores science but it is just another example of the rampant science ignorance.
Don't worry, D* will send them the HR20 so they can still go to OTA when the signal goes.

:)
The Space Station is at an orbit about 200 miles and makes one orbit of the earth in about 90 minutes. The Space Station would have the ability to receive a signal at most 60 minutes during every 90 minute orbit using DirecTV's current satellites and that would require a dish with tracking capability. This is because the Space Station is blocked from the DirecTV satellites by the earth for at least a third of its orbit.
Guess their PR folks don't talk much with their Eng folks.:D
And may God help those space engineers if they need DTV's engineers to do the installation.:D:D

Besides the limited signals from spot-beams, I suspect even the CONUS-Beams would not be useful unless the ISS was between the US and the desired satellite. :):confused::)

you know, everyone is laughing and joking(me included) however i bet this is doable. Not with a dish on the hull of course, but some sort of signal relay from nasa. Probably wouldnt be that hard.

you know, everyone is laughing and joking(me included) however i bet this is doable. Not with a dish on the hull of course, but some sort of signal relay from nasa. Probably wouldnt be that hard.

Actually it would. Even with NASA's constellation of TDRS satellites, they do not have full time video downlink from the Space Station to earth.

It's pretty sad (and should be unsettling to DIRECTV subs) that their "top engineer" thinks installing a working DIRECTV system on the ISS is do-able when in reality receiving any DIRECTV signal from that setup is zero.

DIRECTV could install a system at JSC and sling the currently tuned channel from a receiver up to the station, but they won't do that because it would cost DIRECTV $$$$ to do so.

It's pretty sad (and should be unsettling to DIRECTV subs) that their "top engineer" thinks installing a working DIRECTV system on the ISS is do-able when in reality receiving any DIRECTV signal from that setup is zero.

DIRECTV could install a system at JSC and sling the currently tuned channel from a receiver up to the station, but they won't do that because it would cost DIRECTV $$$$ to do so.
But think of the advertising... DIRECTV, the TV provider of the ISS...

Good lord, its more of a publicity stunt than anything people. Sure its doable, but you can bet D* and their "top engineer" knows that mounting an actual dish on the hull wont work they way it does on earth. So it isnt really unsettling to me

Sounds like the typical reception scenario to me. Mine is out every time it rains. rain fade, earth blocking the Dish, same ole same ole. :haha :haha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)