Directv On Demand vs Netflix

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cband1985

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Tn
I am about to signup with Directv. How does the On Demand compare to Netflix? Selection, picture quality. One more question, will Directv still mount the dish to a brick wall? Don't want roof mount.

Honestly for the On Demand stuff your better off with Netflix for the full length movies. But for TV show episodes and stuff DirecTV On Demand stuff is great.

no we will not mount a Slimline dish to a brick wall. Its either going to be installed on the roof, or you will need to pay the installer (price varies per tech) to put a pole mount in for you. You can refer to this page for more information.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1489/~/custom-install-charges

Generally speaking you are looking at about a 75-150usd cash upcharge for the pole to be installed. A directv free professional basic install covers the dish being mounted to the roof, and a hole drilled through an exterior wall, or floor into a basement for the lines to be run through. Literally anything else is custom and "CAN" be billed to you by the installer if they wish. A pole mount is only covered under basic installation if there is no valid line of sight from your roof line do to trees. Since this is per your request, it is custom.

Back ontopic, mounting the dish to a brick wall is not an acceptable mounting method in any circumstance any longer. You can attempt to "bribe" the installer however you see fit, to get the install done "to your standards" but I recommend against the brick wall personally. Plus no installer is going to carry the proper supplies to "properly" mount to brick, as were not supposed to do it in the first place, so it would most likely require a trip to a lowes or homedepot on the part of the installer and a bill to you for custom supplies.

That being said, not all installers are prepared for pole mounts either. You may be rescheduled to accomidate this, your best bet is to allow the install on the roof, or to try to have a csr add a note to the order to bring a pole and cement for a ground mount.

Again all this being said, this is something you will need to pay the installer cash to do. Some installers accept credit via square or paypal readers on smart phones, most don't, none should accept checks. Its just business, nothing personal meant.

Um, I have a pole mount and paid nothing for it...

So do about half of the apartments on my side of the complex... none of us paid for a pole mount.

My friend got Directv 2 years ago (about when I did) and didn't want it on his roof. They put a pole in his yard for free.

As for on-demand, if you have fast Internet, you'll be fine. A lot of on-demand is SD, though.

Um, I have a pole mount and paid nothing for it...

So do about half of the apartments on my side of the complex... none of us paid for a pole mount.

My friend got Directv 2 years ago (about when I did) and didn't want it on his roof. They put a pole in his yard for free.

As for on-demand, if you have fast Internet, you'll be fine. A lot of on-demand is SD, though.

Pole mounts are NOT free, however, this all depends on the tech. Me, I'd throw a pole in before I do a roof mount. Just easier for me than busting my ladder out. I don't charge for a mount or burying the lines unless 1) the customer is just a straight a$$hole, or 2) the line needs buried 50+ feet. Normally a customer hears I'm not gonna charge for a pole but I'm not burying that for free and they reply with "I'll get it!" But back to the pole, it is NOT standard installation and CAN be charged. As for the brick mount, yeah might as well scratch that off. Out of all us in central Indi me and about 4-5 other guys have the equipment to do it and I might do it twice a year. It's no longer a passable QC mount so its normally just ended before the customer asks for it. Once my equipment is used up I don't plan on restocking it for a brick mount. You're (OP) prolly gonna get a pole mount and its a 50/50 if you're charged for it but plan on paying it to be safe and I hope the installer throws a pole in for free for ya

Do the regulations on mounting to brick vary from location to location? The reason I ask is because there are at least 4
Directv dishes mounted on brick within 2 miles of my home. These were installed in the last year on new houses.

Do the regulations on mounting to brick vary from location to location? The reason I ask is because there are at least 4
Directv dishes mounted on brick within 2 miles of my home. These were installed in the last year on new houses.

Yes, 9/10 markets is an automatic fail but if you get an installer that's willing to do it, make sure he's done it before because it takes some decent size holes drilled pretty far in and could really mess up some brick work by doing it. If its not approved in the area or he doesn't feel comfortable doing it he's going to make you sign off in case any damage does happen so he's not on the hook for it

Do any of the nearby installations include HD dishes with struts? That's an awful lot of holes (8).

The official DIRECTV position is no but contractors may do what they need to do (if they think they can sneak it past QC).

Do any of the nearby installations include HD dishes with struts? That's an awful lot of holes (8).

The official DIRECTV position is no but contractors may do what they need to do (if they think they can sneak it past QC).

Actually 10 lags not 8. And no HSP or in-house will allow a brick install. I'm not saying op will be charged for anything... but rather the tech has every right to charge for any of what is being asked.

A little clarification here:
POLE MOUNTS are not part of the standard FREE DirecTv installation. WHEN contractors did the installations they bought the poles and concrete with their funds and charged (around $75-$100) to install the pole and run some cable underground, NOW THAT DirecTv is using their employees to do installations DirecTv has begun picking up the tab for the poles & concrete IF there is no way to mount the dish on the structure.

Some areas may still have contractors and employees doing the installations so it is confusing trying to find a consistent policy.

AND brick wall mounts were no problem with the round dishes. The Slimlines & SWMS dishes are significantly heavier. The chances of them getting blown off a wall are greater and the tech doesn't want to take a chance on having to repair a wall and find another way to mount a dish.

Joe

My daughter had a pole mount and paid nothing to install it either..

Maybe it depends on how deep or how high the pole will be mounted, and if they carry the pole with cement, which if not then they will purchase with their own money and charge you upfront, similar to remodeling or any fixing in the house that is short of materials.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Those things are called monopolies. One is enough. It has to be positioned correctly to brace against the wind. Both the mast and the monopole must be attached to a "nailable" substrate....like a board. Not plastic siding and press wood sheathing!

Joe

Honestly for the On Demand stuff your better off with Netflix for the full length movies. But for TV show episodes and stuff DirecTV On Demand stuff is great.

I agree, you can't go wrong with Netflix for the price or the amount of content. I like "On Demand" but use NF a whole lot more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)