Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I got a Slimline Dish going on an office building in downtown Chicago.

The building engineer is being a prick and won’t allow me to install a proper non pen mount and says to use a 1.25 inch steel pipe from another satellite install.

The pipe is solid and has zero movement.

I remember seeing a website where a company had all sorts of adaptors.

Trying to avoid using the muffler clamp method IF possible.

The guy wouldn’t even let me take a picture as some airline owns the building.

Any help will be appreciated.

I got a Slimline Dish going on an office building in downtown Chicago.

The building engineer is being a prick and won’t allow me to install a proper non pen mount and says to use a 1.25 inch steel pipe from another satellite install.

The pipe is solid and has zero movement.

I remember seeing a website where a company had all sorts of adaptors.

Trying to avoid using the muffler clamp method IF possible.

The guy wouldn’t even let me take a picture as some airline owns the building.

Any help will be appreciated.
1.25" od to 2.00" od? Not going to happen. I doubt that mount is even sturdy enough.

In the commercial two way radio industry, hose clamps are often used to mount large (up to 21ft long) antennas to existing masts. If you spend a minute or two hacksawing a foot or so of straight section out of the stock Slimline 2" dia J pole you can hose clamp that to the non-pen mount mast.

You need about 4" of 2" mast sticking above the non-pen mast for the Slimline mount to slide over, leaving eight or nine inches of the 2" mast to hose clamp to the non-pen mount and three hose clamps should be sufficient. I have done similar and that will not move for the life of the install.

In the commercial two way radio industry, hose clamps are often used to mount large (up to 21ft long) antennas to existing masts. If you spend a minute or two hacksawing a foot or so of straight section out of the stock Slimline 2" dia J pole you can hose clamp that to the non-pen mount mast.

You need about 4" of 2" mast sticking above the non-pen mast for the Slimline mount to slide over, leaving eight or nine inches of the 2" mast to hose clamp to the non-pen mount and three hose clamps should be sufficient. I have done similar and that will not move for the life of the install.
Radio reception and dbs reception are very different things. You need a very stable mount for dbs, not so much for radio.

The reason I gave the two way radio example is because the larger commercial antennas will put way more stress on the mast than a Slimline dish and the hose clamp method is very strong. Some of these antennas have 24" long mounting tubes that are 3" in dia and the antenna will break before the hose clamps move.

I was also an SBCA certified installer/trainer for DirecTV and have a little insight on the mechanics of the Slimline mount that I won't go into right now. I say it will work just fine.

Radio reception and dbs reception are very different things. You need a very stable mount for dbs, not so much for radio.

That's for 1 5/8" to 2". It won't compress down to a 1 1/4" pipe.

I didn’t see where it said 1 5/8 was as far as it would bolt down, could be. You could always get longer bolts. Or, I would wrap electrical tape around that 1 1/4 pipe, till I could get a piece of 1 5/8 over it snug and run some self tapping screws in there to secure it, and then tighten down that adapter.

The mount that is on the roof already is solid. It’s actually stretched to the building structure and with the thickness of the steel pipe, it’s actually a better mount than if I installed a new non pen mount.

There is another Directv dish on the roof mounted to the same type of mount and the other installer used a muffler clamp with a 2 inch pipe.

Worse case scenario, I’ll duplicate that.

I just didn’t like the muffler clamp idea, as it’s the weakest link.

I actually don’t see an issue going from 1.25 to 2 inch, considering how stiff this mount is

You could use 1/25" sch 80 pvc as an adapter. It's 1.25" id and 1.66 od. Then use the adapter sleeve to go to 2".

Here’s a pic
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1536721091.454839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: AZ.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)