Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Premieres 'Pirate Radio' More Than A Month Before DVD Release

Academy Award Winners Philip Seymour Hoffman and Emma Thompson Star in the Film Available to DIRECTV Customers in Crystal-Clear HD

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Mar 11, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV Cinema(TM), the ultimate in-home movie experience, will premiere the motion picture, Pirate Radio, to DIRECTV customers more than a month before the film's DVD release date. Beginning today, customers will have access to the ensemble comedy with an all-star cast including Academy Award winners Philip Seymour Hoffman and Emma Thompson - at the click of a button from the comfort of their couch.

Written and directed by Richard Curtis, Pirate Radio tells the true story of a band of rogue radio DJs that captivated Britain in the 1960s, blasting rock and pop music from a boat off-shore in direct defiance of the government. Dubbed 'pirate radio,' the non-stop underground broadcast reached nearly half the UK's population and helped deliver the music that has defined a generation. The movie will be available to DIRECTV customers in crisp HD* or in standard-definition (SD). Pricing starts as low as $4.99, for SD, on the DIRECTV Cinema and DIRECTV on Demand platforms.

"DIRECTV Cinema strives to deliver the highest-quality movie experience by offering unique content that is above-and-beyond what consumers find on the usual pay-per-view platform," said Sarah Lyons, vice president of Marketing for DIRECTV. "DIRECTV is thrilled to continue raising the bar with Pirate Radio, by offering it to our customers more than a month before the film's DVD release. We will continue to deliver an unmatched in-home movie experience that can only be found on DIRECTV."

The DVD release of Pirate Radio is currently scheduled for April 13. However, it debuts on DIRECTV Cinema more than a month earlier, on March 11. For more information on movies available through the DIRECTV Cinema platform, visit directv.com/cinema.

* HD equipment and HD Access fee are required.

The problem still is that due to lower bit rates & max 5.1 audio even the 1080p PPVs are not even close to as good in picture/sound quality as bluray.

The problem still is that due to lower bit rates & max 5.1 audio even the 1080p PPVs are not even close to as good in picture/sound quality as bluray.
I'm sure the quality is still pretty good. As someone who values picture and audio quality, the lower bit rate and 5.1 limit is not the reason I don't buy PPV. I won't buy it because of the 24hr limit. I'm pretty sure that is the MPAA's fault and not DTV, but still I find it ridiculous that I can rent a movie for the same price and keep it for way longer than 24 hours. Why should electronically renting a movie have different rules than renting a hard disc?

If they charge as much for PPV as Dishnetwork, they should show it at the same time it is in the theaters.

That's one of the reasons they rebranded it DirecTV cinema, the $8 is supposed to be a bargain in comparison to a trip to the movies, not to redbox or blockbuster. PPV also isn't an accurate term since it's a viewing window, not a single viewing.

That's one of the reasons they rebranded it DirecTV cinema, the $8 is supposed to be a bargain in comparison to a trip to the movies, not to redbox or blockbuster. PPV also isn't an accurate term since it's a viewing window, not a single viewing.

Jeez... making a good cut there eh? It's $4.99 on Amazon VOD for HD w/5.1, just saw it on the Roku.

Hehe, mostly haters have replied here. Gotta love it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)