Directv receivers keep resetting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mstar01

Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
Michigan
I have had a HR-22 receiver for the past six years and in the past couple weeks, it all of sudden started resetting itself. What was the oddest was that the receiver was having a difficult time resetting itself ( it would get to the step 1 screen and then it would start the whole reset all over again). I was told it was most likely a failing hard drive so I called Direct tv and they sent me a HR-24 receiver for a replacement. Tonight I hooked that up and the exact same thing is happening. In fact it's worse because the receiver keeps resetting every 1/2 hour- to an hour and then takes about another half hour before the receiver actually does a full reset.
I did have the receiver plugged into a surge protector with my television and blu-ray player and those are playing fine so I don't think this electrical.
Could the problem be with the HR-24 be another hard drive issue or could it actually be a power supply issue?

Or if you can....disconnect the coax, and see if it is still resetting....Remember there is some voltage powering up those LNBs..

I did end up plugging the HR-24 into the wall but because the power cord is so short, I had to a extension cord to reach my wall. So far after that, the only time it has reset is to download new software and that reset went fine and the receiver has stayed on since ( knock on wood). I don't know if this will be the end of it though, my old receiver could make it 24 hours or a bit longer sometimes before it started acting up.
I was also wondering if the actual power cord could be the culprit. I only just realized that when the 24 was hooked up , the old power cord was used rather than the new one that came with the 24.

I will try the coax thing as well though if receiver does anything else.

:welcome to Satelliteguys mstar01!

Unless you are using a good quality surge protector, you are better off without it. It sounds like that was the problem. What is the make and model number of it?

:welcome to Satelliteguys mstar01!

Unless you are using a good quality surge protector, you are better off without it. It sounds like that was the problem. What is the make and model number of it?

Thank you!
Yeah it wasn't a top quality surge protector, I'm pretty sure it was bought at a family dollar actually, lol. Could it be that was the reason my HR-22 failed on me, because I had plugged into the surge protector? Tech support at Directv seemed to think it was a hard drive failure or the beginnings of hard drive failure and so did a couple other people I talked too but now I don't know.
Do you want the make and model of the receiver I have now?

Was it a real surge protector or just a power strip? I was asking for the make and model of the surge protector.

Was it a real surge protector or just a power strip? I was asking for the make and model of the surge protector.
Oh! My apologies.
I guess this was a power strip( I never knew there was a difference between the two so I am an idiot). I looked at it and seen it was a " good housekeeping " brand and the model number was DR-7068.

That's most likely the cause then. They aren't designed to have things like dvrs plugged into them. You might consider a good quality UPS like one of these: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13
They will keep the dvr from resetting if you lose power or have brown outs.

Oh okay well thank you!
So was the power strip the cause of my HR-22 failing? Its like I said, the top suspicion everyone had with the 22 was hard drive failure but with the 24 acting the same when I first hooked it up to the power strip I don't know.
Will the HR-24 be okay connected to the plug in the wall for now?

Oh okay well thank you!
So was the power strip the cause of my HR-22 failing? Its like I said, the top suspicion everyone had with the 22 was hard drive failure but with the 24 acting the same when I first hooked it up to the power strip I don't know.
Will the HR-24 be okay connected to the plug in the wall for now?

they're likely saying its the HDD out of statistical probability. if you have other receivers that are not resetting themselves that's what i would have guessed too.

they're likely saying its the HDD out of statistical probability. if you have other receivers that are not resetting themselves that's what i would have guessed too.
I don't have any other receivers set up so ... Who knows? I had the Hr-22 for about six years and from what I have been told, its one of the worst receivers. I just didn't want to get rid of it because of the stuff I have saved on it so I'm tempted to get it booked up in another room and see if it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts