Directv Reception Issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waterdogdad

Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
WI
Sorry for long thread . We are located in a campground in SE Wisconsin about 145 to 150 miles NW of Milwaukee (my local TV networks). Have Directv with single LNB dual output dish. I had installer out to fine tune the dish. I cut a small tree and trimmed other dead branches as he suggested. Today I used Dishpointer and it appears the dish is pointed accurately through an opening in tall pines. I turned on TV when arrived. It was bright sunny day with sun nearly in line (behind) with satellite 101. For about an hour I received Milwaukee locals clear with no break up. I checked signal strength. It read 87 to 89. Transponder (27) from Milwaukee locals was also 85 to 87. Then, after about an hour, I lost the locals (only those 5 staions). I checked single strength and it still showed 85 to 87. Weather didn't change. Still clear and no wind. So I'm confused. I'm I too far from locals? Do I need a differnet dish? Or...what?

:welcome to Satelliteguys waterdogdad!

Milwaukee is on transponder 28, not 27. What is the zip code where you are?

I agree with Jimbo, you want it higher than that. I would have thought it would be good enough for stable reception, but apparently not. Perhaps it can be pointed better than that.

Neighbor of mine has a bit better LOS and has a 3LBN. Will change of dish to 3 LBN help me? Thanks for all your replies.

I'l try tweaking the dish. Thanks.
Remembering that there are many atmospheric conditions that effect the signal.............mark with a pencil where the dish is pointed and make small moves to observe what happens. All the transponders have different signal levels and change all the time. Signals in the 90s are best but you loose SD pic around 40-50.

Joe

Another trick you can try, pull up the signal strength menu, have someone watch the numbers on your particular transponder, go out to the dish and without loosening anything, put light pressure on one side of the dish and see what the numbers do, try the other side, also up and down... remember, it only takes a slight move... a large move and youll lose signal all together.

After observing the numbers, youll know if moving the dish a bit will help.

Now, you mentioned changing dishes, IF you have the old round or oblong single LNB dish set up, you may do better with a Slimline Dish as it has a larger dish surface.

Which dish is your neighbor using and is he also losing signal on locals ?

Thanks for the response. Here's where I'm confused. My neighbor has just a bit better signal strength on TNP 28 and recieves the Milwaukee locals with no problem. Only difference, he has a 3 LNB slimline, mine is a single with dual output. Should I change dishes? Thanks

Thanks jimbo. Didn't see your post before I sent my last one a minute ago. I'll try your suggestions.

As Jimbo mentioned, getting a Slimline dish may give enough higher signal strength since it's a bigger dish.

OK
thanks to everyone. Wish I could get the same type response from my local DTV installer.

?THANKS AGAIN

Make sure to come back and let us know how it goes.

I ordered and waiting for larger dish (Directv triple 18X20). I had not tweaked the existing dish yet.
In the meantime, we arrived at our camper tonight with big time rain, thunder and lightening all around, including from here back to Milwaukee (140 miles). Turned on the TV to check local channels reception, and they are all clear as a bell! Checked signal strength on TRN 28 and its showing 69, just as usual when we have had poor or no reception. As you have already guessed I'm a newbie. Most everyone complains about bad weather reception...............so I'm more confused.

I ordered and waiting for larger dish (Directv triple 18X20). I had not tweaked the existing dish yet.
In the meantime, we arrived at our camper tonight with big time rain, thunder and lightening all around, including from here back to Milwaukee (140 miles). Turned on the TV to check local channels reception, and they are all clear as a bell! Checked signal strength on TRN 28 and its showing 69, just as usual when we have had poor or no reception. As you have already guessed I'm a newbie. Most everyone complains about bad weather reception...............so I'm more confused.

I forget, are we going for HD signals or just SD ?

IF HD, you bought the wrong dish, regardless you didn't get the one we were all talking about that is a larger dish than the round one ...
The SL3/5 is considerably larger than the old round one and that is where you might find enough change in your Signal strength ...

Very minimal difference between the 18" round and the 18x20 dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)