Directv Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
They are supporting TiVo, their contract isn't up till 2007. So until then, and most probably after, we can use them.
As far as the fee, it is a $4.99 fee per account, up to 8 D/TiVo's. The plus side is, if you had stand alone TiVo's, you would pay $12.95 for the first one, and $6.95 for every one after. The other fee with D* is $4.99 per receiver, TiVo or not.

hdtvtechno said:
U may miss understand me,
i was asking why isn't directv no longer making new directvo tivo stb's ?
They are making them. The R10 is their latest product. They will transition to their own brand this year but you can still get and use DirecTiVo units, and will be able to use them until the transition to MPEG4 is complete. Probably around 2007.

hdtvtechno said:
And i was asking can i use the tivo record feature, and still not pay the tivo fee ?
thanks
No you cannot. your DVR will say the service is "inactive" if you are not paying the fee.

I always thought you could use your Tivo like a VCR if you did not have a Tivo account. You can still FF, RW, and Record and I thank thats it.

Also ,I thank you will still be able to use your Tivo after 2007 as long as D supports it . I thought only HD was going to MP4 and not SD so unless you have an HDTivo it should still work ? Someone tell me if I am wrong or not.

the tivo doesn't revert to just vcr functions if you don't pay the feee... .in the owners manual it states that with out the fee you will only be able to pause for 30 secs....

If you're talking about D-VHS remember that the HD receiver you have will need firewire ports.

You obviously have not tried a DirecTV DVR. It can NOT be compare to a VCR. Let's see you VCR record two different channels at the same time, or record more that 8 hours while your away.

hdtvtechno said:
what a rip-off,
im sticking with my VCR, or i might buy a HD VCR Recorder,

How can he say it's a rip-off? The R10 is the best $49 I ever spent.I paid full price for my first ( phillips DSR704) and I think that was worth it too.

slacker9876 said:
They are making them. The R10 is their latest product. They will transition to their own brand this year but you can still get and use DirecTiVo units, and will be able to use them until the transition to MPEG4 is complete. Probably around 2007.

Please tell me this doesn't mean the HD TiVo I just plunked down major dollars for won't be unusable in 3 years!!

I had an old Sony SAT-60 unit that died on me and I went Tivoless for a long time. Today I got the new R10 I had been hearing so many good things about and I am very happy with the unit so far. I can say the guide and tivo functions are MUCH faster than the old Sony and so far it runs much cooler too. Now I just need to run a 2nd line to it.

When they convert to mpeg4, they will offer you an upgrade-they will not leave people who spent $1k on equipment without anything.

hdtvtechno said:
Seriously when directv switches to mpeg 4 the current hd tivo will not work.

directv will replace your hd tivo for little or no cost, with its own directv brand hd dvr.

so no more tivo's in the future.
With the MPEG4 announcement (bombshell) I called Robert at VE about my HR10-250 to see about swapping for the LG PVR he has for $799. I was told by Robert that it is expected that D* will pony up for $14.95 S&H, a brand spanking new Home Media Center WHEN MPEG4 makes it to my market. D* knows they would get a beating if they stuck us on this and since most of us who own the HR10-250 are not likely to change providers anytime soon, D* will take care of us.

Don't sweat it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts