DirecTV to Dish?

If it's recording all the time then it won't get the full guide update. The Hopper and all Joeys have to be turned off (in standby) and no recordings scheduled in order for the guide to download.

More great info that probably isn't in any guide anywhere. Good to know.
Thanks

Reactions: JSheridan
If it's recording all the time then it won't get the full guide update. The Hopper and all Joeys have to be turned off (in standby) and no recordings scheduled in order for the guide to download.

Are you SURE about this??? Reason I ask, is because after the awesome CUI came down, people on here with H2K/HWS receivers have been complaining about when they are watching live TV & a scheduled recording comes up with only 1 other tuner recording, it asks if it can switch your live tuner for recording. (this seems to happen a lot during the daytime when I happen to be home) Well after I had this happen to me several times, it prompted me to check the TV activity screen for tuner status. Much to my surprise, I saw where one of the tuners had "GUIDE UPDATE" in it's status...which I don't ever remember seeing before the CUI. If I leave the receiver to switch the tuner to the scheduled recording, the receiver continues with the other (2) recordings all the while the other tuner continues to display "GUIDE UPDATE".

I believe IS the reason why everyone is getting these recording prompts in these situations. (there are other times when I have 1 tuner already recording, another on live TV & when another recording comes up during this time, I do NOT get the "switch tuner" prompt...which gives credence to the GUIDE UPDATE situation I just described)

Are you SURE about this??? Reason I ask, is because after the awesome CUI came down, people on here with H2K/HWS receivers have been complaining about when they are watching live TV & a scheduled recording comes up with only 1 other tuner recording, it asks if it can switch your live tuner for recording. (this seems to happen a lot during the daytime when I happen to be home) Well after I had this happen to me several times, it prompted me to check the TV activity screen for tuner status. Much to my surprise, I saw where one of the tuners had "GUIDE UPDATE" in it's status...which I don't ever remember seeing before the CUI. If I leave the receiver to switch the tuner to the scheduled recording, the receiver continues with the other (2) recordings all the while the other tuner continues to display "GUIDE UPDATE".

I believe IS the reason why everyone is getting these recording prompts in these situations. (there are other times when I have 1 tuner already recording, another on live TV & when another recording comes up during this time, I do NOT get the "switch tuner" prompt...which gives credence to the GUIDE UPDATE situation I just described)

From my experience and from what I've been told you have to have everything shut down to get a full 8 day guide update. When one of the tuners says 'Guide Update' it's actually updating the 2 day guide or rich media files and/or other housekeeping. Sometimes it's really not doing anything with that tuner and the indicator is in error. A reboot usually corrects that problem.

Yea, I agree. If it's a problem then the user should just get a Hopper 3 so they'll never run out of tuners. ;)

So if I have the Hopper 3 then with it's 16 tuners, it should be able to download the guide even if a couple of other tuners are being used to record, correct?

So if I have the Hopper 3 then with it's 16 tuners, it should be able to download the guide even if a couple of other tuners are being used to record, correct?

No. AFAIK you can only get a full guide download if the H3 and all Joey's connected to it are turned off and no recordings are scheduled.

Reactions: charlesrshell

A reset will clear that out after it d/l's a new guide. I've run into that a few times over the years

Mother nature has fixed the guide issue for me. We're having thunderstorms pass through all weekend. This last one the electricity flickered off once. Now the whole guide is showing up. But now another one is passing through and I've lost all signal from the satellite.

Mother nature has fixed the guide issue for me. We're having thunderstorms pass through all weekend. This last one the electricity flickered off once. Now the whole guide is showing up. But now another one is passing through and I've lost all signal from the satellite.
Yeh, you could been mother nature yourself by doing a power plug pull reboot.

My issue is with the way the recordings work when telling it to only keep 5 or 10 episodes. My wife likes Law & Order. She watches those almost every night right before going to bed. I have it set to record new and reruns, but they are all reruns. Law & Order is on several channels and is probably on all day between the different channels. I want it to record 5, and then stop recording until she watches one, and then it would record another since there are not 5 recorded in the folder. What it is currently doing is constantly recording. It keeps recording and then deleting the oldest one. That is using a lot of unnecessary processing power and wear and tear on the hard drive. Any way to fix this? When I go to edit the Timer, under the Record option, there is Daily, Weekly, and Monday-Friday. Would it be better to select one of those? What exactly do those mean?

Another bigger issue is that my guide only shows the current program and maybe the next, and it's like this on all the channels. It almost been 24 hours now so figured it would have been all updated by now. Any way to get it updated?

Thanks

The processing power and wear and tear on the Hard Drive will be there whether you record or not since the box is never turned off but in standby and the HDD will always be either reading or writing. The only different when you power it on is that it will buffer whatever channel(s) you are watching. These HDD's are made for 24x7 operation, can handle 300,000 load/unload cycles.

Reactions: Bogy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)