DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets Including 16 New Markets in HD
More Than 97 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will Have Access to Local Channels from DIRECTV; Roll Out of New Local Markets to Begin in June

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, the world's most popular video service, will begin the rollout of 16 new HD local-channel markets next month, providing more than 97 percent of U.S. TV households access to local channels by the end of this year. When the rollout is complete, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 172 markets, including local HD in 155 markets.

DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas. For more HD local launch details, customers can visit DIRECTV: HD Locals, locals in HD.

"The launch of national HD channels capture the headlines, but the ability to watch local news, weather and primetime programming in HD or SD, remains an important part of our customers' daily viewing," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "And that's why we continue to expand our local channel service. Now more than 97 percent of TV homes in the U.S. will have access to DIRECTV local channels and a true alternative to other TV providers in their communities."

For customers who live within the designed area of each market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC - where available.

To receive DIRECTV's HD local programming, customers must have an H20 or HR20 DIRECTV Plus(R) HD DVR receiver or above, and a Ka/Ku band dish. More information on programming, pricing and equipment is available at directv.com.

With the launch of locals in these markets, DIRECTV is rolling out a special offer for customers who need to upgrade their equipment: The first receiver is free and all additional receivers are only $49, along with free standard professional installation. To upgrade, customers should call 1-800-DIRECTV no earlier than three weeks before their market's confirmed launch date.

Current DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $10 fee to access their HD programming, allowing them to see their local channels along with DIRECTV's premier lineup of national channels in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

Customers can visit directv.com to learn more about the full complement of DIRECTV's HD programming lineup including existing channels, new channels, details on equipment required for the new DIRECTV HD services and updates on when the new markets will launch. DIRECTV recently announced the addition of more than 30 new HD channels that will begin rolling out this month, bringing DIRECTV's total HD channel lineup to more than 160.

Still no Eugene, OR (Market #119) in HD? I'm not pleased! Next January, when my contract is up, Comcast can welcome a new customer.

That sucks for me. I will lose the New York HD networks in favor of my terrible small market locals. The ABC channel in my market of Wichita Falls shows absolutely no ABC programming during storm season. Just hours and hours of the weatherman trying to scare people over minor T-Storms. They also now have a local marketing agreement to run the CBS station.

Well I've already got my locals on DirecTV. Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (DMA #36). But unfortunately, our NBC station doesn't carry the fourth hour of NBC's TODAY SHOW. Had you heard about the five year STELA law passed by the House and Senate last week? Exit SHVERA, enter STELA.

Do you think that the new STELA law is fair or unfair?

This is the timeline for HD Local launches - note HD, no list that I know of for SD.

June 2010: Idaho Falls-Pocatello ID
June 2010: Joplin MO-Pittsburg KS
June 2010: Biloxi-Gulfport MS
3Q: Albany, GA
3Q: Gainesville FL
3Q: Columbus GA
3Q: Montgomery AL
4Q: Abilene-Sweetwater TX
4Q: Amarillo TX
4Q: Lubbock TX
4Q: Sioux City IA
4Q: Wichita Falls TX-Lawton, OK
4Q: Binghamton NY
4Q: Clarksburg-Weston WV
4Q: Terre Haute IN
4Q: Wheeling WV-Steubenville OH

DIRECTV: HD Locals, locals in HD

They just colocated at my CBS/ABC affiliate in the Monroe, LA/El Dorado, AR DMA. They have tested fiber and everything is working, but my market is nowhere on this list.

I am baffled.

As another inhabitant in an unserved area (Binghamton, NY) I can't hardly believe it's true. It's been 10 years at least since the rumors were swirling that E* or Direct were just weeks away from delivering the locals. When Dish lost the rights to distants and All American came in with their horrible feeds, I went back to cable. Now maybe, just maybe this fall, I can return to satellite. After 10 years of waiting however, I'll save my "yippee's" until I actually see it come true.

So I have a few questions regarding this:

1) My contract ended 2 years ago, and I have all standard receivers, so I have to upgrade all my receivers to receive local channels? Which adds me to another 2 year commitment?

2) What kind of dish is needed, I currently have th DirecTV World Direct dish, will that work? If not, would I have to pay for a new dish (which also means contract extension I'm guessing)

3) Could I just buy some used (owned) receivers to avoid the contract extension?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Sounds like a big headache, I'm in the Gulfport-Biloxi DMA and was told we are only getting ABC and Fox...What about CBS and NBC? Gotta pay extra for those? Sounds like it's not even worth it for just 2 channels...

Folks who live in other recently-upgraded MPEG 4 only locals markets should chime in, but I was under the impression that they wouldn't extend your contract for this particular scenario, and they would try to work with you to replace at least one or two of your boxes. I would just be sure to ask for sure when you call them.

Also, CBS and NBC might be offered from either Mobile AL or New Orleans LA, since those markets are already served by DirecTV.

Sounds like a big headache, I'm in the Gulfport-Biloxi DMA and was told we are only getting ABC and Fox...What about CBS and NBC? Gotta pay extra for those? Sounds like it's not even worth it for just 2 channels...
I'm in Biloxi and if I only get ABC and FOX that would fine by me! That is IF I get to keep CBS and NBC from NYC. Although, I'm sure we'll get CBS from Mobile and NBC from NOLA.

The upgrade thing (if you require it) with contract extension sucks though.

I know this thread is a few months old but I've been sitting on my hands waiting for them to bring the locals online here in Amarillo, TX. Here is some info for those who didn't any local channels and are scheduled to having their market come online soon. If you don't have a HD receiver and your locals will only be in HD, then you can get a free upgrade to the HD DVR and Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)