Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Downloading things in hd is horrible, it takes nearly 24 hours for an hour and half movie. Directv needs to upgrade their servers.
Btw I have 10mbps connection.

It was slow the last time I used it, But in about 6-8 hours my movie was downloaded.
Thats at verizons 3mbps. I can't say one ever took 24 hours. Whats the point then?
Not really VOD if you can't even watch it when you want too.
Isn't that the point of VOD?
Dishnetwork I noticed is faster. Ranging from around 2 minutes in the 501 VOD range to 2-4 Hours from the Dish VOD download screen.
Still VOD should take less the 2 minutes for it to be acceptable.

This is one of the reasons I miss charter cable vod

I like to see D* expand the use of they way they deliver the 10 movies that are always in the Top Movies section of your DVR play list. Their is a "push" channel that is dedicated to feeding those movies down to your DVR and no Internet is required. Those 10 movies (HD and some are 1080p) are true Video on Demand. They just need a way to implement it so that you can go to "push" channel and select the specific thing you want and watch it off of the "push" channel.

I like to see D* expand the use of they way they deliver the 10 movies that are always in the Top Movies section of your DVR play list. Their is a "push" channel that is dedicated to feeding those movies down to your DVR and no Internet is required. Those 10 movies (HD and some are 1080p) are true Video on Demand. They just need a way to implement it so that you can go to "push" channel and select the specific thing you want and watch it off of the "push" channel.

I don't see that happening, at least if you're taking about using the satellites as the way to carry the push, there isn't enough bandwidth available to do that.

Meh... Vod would have been a+ if it wasn't for this.

Just downloaded a HD movie from TMC , 90 minutes took only 2 hours. ATT DSL at 6 Mbps.

a satellite service doing HD VOD never made sense to me. They cant do it over the dish and have to use the internet anyway. Then their servers become overtaxed.

There is enough bandwidth on some of the HD Birds to push a few HD Movies over satellite I have been told.
That's true, that's how they're populating the Movies Now folder on the HR DRV's. There's not enough bandwidth to handle pushing down movies in an on demand fashion like cable can do.

I have Brighthouse broadband in orlando. I have slow VoD dowloads after using Vod more often. I also have bit torrent downloads slowed down. I suspect it could be for the same reason, Brighthouse is using a Deep Packect Inspection (DPI) network appliance to inspect our application type and slow down the applications they dont want on their network. Directv is a competitor to their cable, hence it makes 100% sense, but seriously frowned upon by the Network Nuetrality promise. My options are to swicth braodband providers. There is AT&T pushing discounted packages in orlando and I know that Verizon is hiring reps to sell FIOS in Orlando area. FIOS fiber to the home would be the best and faste alternative to Brighthouse. I will check back with you all later and report on better alternatives than Brighthouse.
It would be good if Brighhouse reps were reading their customers issues with degraded service (here), before we need to swicth, one by one and then in droves away from blocking and slowing down the bandwidth for applications we select for our home. I pay $45 a month to them and I WONT ALLOW THEM TO ABUSE ME.

I got comcast internet and an 1hr 45 min movie took me less than 30 min to download in HD.

one thing ive noticed when using wireless it takes longer to d/l vod while your surfing the internet. When i d/l a movie of OnDemand i let it d/l and leave the computer alone or put in sleep mode.

Ive never had a movie take more than 1 - 2 hrs to download!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts