Directv Wants To Upgrade me for free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blitzpb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
So I get this email about upgrading my current HD DVR which does not support the new HD channels. It says it is all free etc. Now, When I called they said that it IS free and that there is NO lease extension or any other conditions attached.

Has anyone else heard of this? Sounds too good to be true. What should I make sur eI am getting equipment wise?

The only part that I would be concerned with is the comment of no lease extension.

Could this have something to do with the NASCAR Hotpass thing I heard mentioned before? Were you a NASCAR subscriber?

So I get this email about upgrading my current HD DVR which does not support the new HD channels. It says it is all free etc. Now, When I called they said that it IS free and that there is NO lease extension or any other conditions attached.

Has anyone else heard of this? Sounds too good to be true. What should I make sur eI am getting equipment wise?

I got the same email. It doesnt help me out unfortunately because they insist on sending an installer out for the dish and receiver. That won't work for systems in Canada.

got similar email.
good thing is....our old hd10-250 just started acting up with an "over-heating" message so it's on it's last leg.

Here's what the email contained........

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR HD EQUIPMENT

Please call us today at 1-888-763-7772 to upgrade your HD equipment free of charge.

DIRECTV has just launched many new HD channels, bringing our offering to over 85 national channels in HD.

In order to access all of this exciting new programming, you must have the correct HD equipment installed.

Our records indicate that you require a new receiver to continue viewing your current HD channels and access the expanded lineup. We would like to schedule an appointment to upgrade your receiver free of charge as soon as possible.

Please call us today at 1-888-763-7772 to schedule your free installation. We want to make sure valued customers like you have everything they need to continue experiencing the highest quality television possible.

I'm on hold right now:

UPDATE

They're giving me an HR20 (leased) ........ to replace my old HR10-250 (if anyone needs an old hr10250....lemme know).
This of course, warranted the typical D* re-up for 2 more years policy.....therefore I asked for a free perk to which they gave me showtime free for 3 months.

Last edited:

No 2 year contract sounds like a lie to me.

Just got a phone call from 888-763-7772 with a recorded message saying I needed a new dish and HD receiver to get NASCAR Hotpass in HD next year. Everything will be free. I've already upgraded my dish and one box to the new MPEG4, so I guess they will upgrade my second HD box. Sounds like a no brainer other than the 2 year commitment.

I got the call & e-mail the end of November. I got a new HR21 to replace my HR-10-250. The installer had to bring it out. I have wavers for west coast CBS & FOX HD and figure they want to move them to the new satellite. I was also told no commitment or extension.

I am a happy camper. :)

IF D* is offering these, then there should NOT be a 2 year contract added ... I can see if you called them, so if anyone is getting the + 2 yr's issue, I would tell them NO, they are the ones wanting you to upgrade and see if that approach works.

Jimbo

I'm scheduled for them to come out next sat Jan 5th.
I'm curious if I should call them back and ask for the HR21?

The rep I spoke to mentioned they give the HR20 to replace my old HR10-250

There will be a 2 year commitment even if you do not find out about it until a week after the install when a notice arrives in the mail. Be forewarned.

I'm scheduled for them to come out next sat Jan 5th.
I'm curious if I should call them back and ask for the HR21?

The rep I spoke to mentioned they give the HR20 to replace my old HR10-250

Do you prefer the 21 over the 20 ?
If you need OTA antenna availablilty then you don't want the HR21, it has no OTA tuner, otherwise, it's up to you, I really don't see a big difference.

Jimbo

exactly the info I needed.
Thanks Jimbo....

go bucks!

buckeyes.gif

IF D* is offering these, then there should NOT be a 2 year contract added ... I can see if you called them, so if anyone is getting the + 2 yr's issue, I would tell them NO, they are the ones wanting you to upgrade and see if that approach works.

Jimbo

Any leased receiver activated has a commitment.;)

DIRECTV - DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum

Last edited:
Any leased receiver activated has a commitment.;)

DIRECTV - DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum

But it SHOULD NOT have a lease if THEY are the ones initiating the transaction.

I know this may not be the way they see it, but I would push for it with the rep I would be speaking with.

edit: When they replaced my HR20-700 a few months back due to it not funtioning properly , I am not required to start my commitment over again ... it's one thing if your changing just to upgrade equipment. I would definatley discuss this type of thing with them while swapping out rec's. when nessasary.

Jimbo

Check you billing statements if you go for this. I am still fighting with D*TV over thie fact that even though my account says free they still charged me $342.56 on my AMEX card. Shame on me for not cancelling direct billing and auto-pay when doing the up grade.

For a quick updat - I still only have one functioining receiver/DVR. The installer had not been out to complete the install and replace the multiplexer yet I am still being billed for extra receivers. D*TV is aware of the issues as is the FTC & MO Atty Gen. office - I call it mial fraud. D*TV did send me a number to call with a PIN to use, but it's only open 6A to 1P M-F and I am at work at those times. So I have offered to allow them to comew reclaim the equipment and color me gone, but no response on that either. Yes, I am tired of this situation and their lack of concern about the partial install and misbilling. Can't wait for U-Verse to become available.

But it SHOULD NOT have a lease if THEY are the ones initiating the transaction.

I know this may not be the way they see it, but I would push for it with the rep I would be speaking with.
Hey, you are preaching to the choir but it is what it is. He will have a two year commitment. Worse yet, if he follows your advice he is going to have cancellation fees if he disagrees with it. The rep he talks to cant control anything when it comes to that.

I wanted to upgrade my HDDVR and was told I would need to pay $100. plus have a 2 year extension on my contract. I pay a fortune to D* with the premier package with 1 HDDVR another DVR and 3 other receivers with the NFL network and Superfan. I agreed since I wanted more HD channels. I am upset with D* due to their preference to get new customers over keeping their current customers happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts