DIRECTV's "NFL Sunday Ticket" Is Subject of Antitrust Lawsuit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
NFL, DirecTV sued over Sunday Ticket http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ver-sunday-ticket/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
How quickly will DirecTV’s settlement of a lawsuit challenging the NHL out-of-market package that prevents the purchase of one team’s games spawn a similar attack on DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket package?If the over/under was a week and you took the under, congratulations.A class action attacking the Sunday Ticket package was filed Wednesday in California. PFT has obtained a copy of the complaint filed by Thomas Abrahamian against the NFL, DirecTV, and related defendants.
Please if in wrong section please move and I apologize!

The NFL Sunday Ticket IMO is very expensive for what most people use it for, which is to watch their favorite team for one game per week. The NFL Sunday Ticket Cured me of my passion for watching pro football on Sunday years ago, when they broke the $300 mark for the season. At that time, it hurt like crazy to stop watching my team, but eventually, I got used to it. Now, I really couldn't care less, if I ever saw another pro football game again. If the price is still at $300 for a season, (which I don't know if it is or not) that would make it $18.75 a week for their programing. IMO that is way over priced for 16 weeks of programing of any type at all. Even HBO is not that much "per month" let alone per week. I'm glad I went through my with-drawl and I'm done with it. It makes selecting my provider so much easier. Yet, I also affirm everyone's right to pay that high price, if they so desire. It is capitalism at it's best. Yet, I also hope that the NFL and Sunday Ticket lose this battle. Go consumer! GO!

Reactions: dalyew
I'm sure there are some intricacies I would not know about, but what makes the NFL offer only one team? Their package is all of them, you can take it or not. That's their marketing decision. How is that Antitrust? Even being only on Direct TV and Verizon, how is that antitrust? Direct and Verizon aren't orchestrating it, the supplier the NFL is. They can sell to whoever they want, unless maybe if they owned the only TV carrier to have it.

The NFL Sunday Ticket IMO is very expensive for what most people use it for, which is to watch their favorite team for one game per week. The NFL Sunday Ticket Cured me of my passion for watching pro football on Sunday years ago, when they broke the $300 mark for the season. At that time, it hurt like crazy to stop watching my team, but eventually, I got used to it. Now, I really couldn't care less, if I ever saw another pro football game again. If the price is still at $300 for a season, (which I don't know if it is or not) that would make it $18.75 a week for their programing. IMO that is way over priced for 16 weeks of programing of any type at all. Even HBO is not that much "per month" let alone per week. I'm glad I went through my with-drawl and I'm done with it. It makes selecting my provider so much easier. Yet, I also affirm everyone's right to pay that high price, if they so desire. It is capitalism at it's best. Yet, I also hope that the NFL and Sunday Ticket lose this battle. Go consumer! GO!
Heres guessing that your TEAM was not a regular in the playoffs.

I'm sure there are some intricacies I would not know about, but what makes the NFL offer only one team? Their package is all of them, you can take it or not. That's their marketing decision. How is that Antitrust? Even being only on Direct TV and Verizon, how is that antitrust? Direct and Verizon aren't orchestrating it, the supplier the NFL is. They can sell to whoever they want, unless maybe if they owned the only TV carrier to have it.

Well it isn't that simple when you have a Monopoly and or get special status from the government for such.

Well it isn't that simple when you have a Monopoly and or get special status from the government for such.
It's not a monopoly at all ...
Its the NFL, there are plenty of other leagues that could do the same if they had the following.
The CFL could do it if they wanted .... would you consider that a Monopoly ?

The NFL is its own league and can play by thier own rules, seeing they make the rules.

The NFL has even lost such cases in from the the nations Supreme Court regarding its monopoly and how it transacts business. They have been specifically exempt for decades for certain anti trust activities because of legislation specifically allowing them to act as a monopoly in negotiations with TV rights to the Union among other things.

I can see someone following their basketball, baseball or hockey team.

Sure there is a few people who would the alacarte option for their own team, but with so many people into fantasy football or just the NFL in general I could see less people who get Sunday ticket be interested in an a la carte option.

Besides that it's always good to have the whole package anyways. With MLB for example let's say Detroit was tied for first place with Kansas City

Detroit was playing the Yankees and Kansas City was playing cleveland. I would actually watch Kansas vs cleveland because that game would effect the Tigers first place standing.

This whole a la carte crap is nothing more than people wanting to be cheap.

Even if Directv lost this one. They would say a la carte is $200 and the full package is $300. If anyone thinks Directv would do a $50 pick your team, it will never happen.

I could however see that happen with MLB, hockey or basketball due to the price of the package and the significantly less number of games you would get.

Reactions: meStevo
I can see someone following their basketball, baseball or hockey team.

Sure there is a few people who would the alacarte option for their own team, but with so many people into fantasy football or just the NFL in general I could see less people who get Sunday ticket be interested in an a la carte option.

Besides that it's always good to have the whole package anyways. With MLB for example let's say Detroit was tied for first place with Kansas City

Detroit was playing the Yankees and Kansas City was playing cleveland. I would actually watch Kansas vs cleveland because that game would effect the Tigers first place standing.

This whole a la carte crap is nothing more than people wanting to be cheap.

Even if Directv lost this one. They would say a la carte is $200 and the full package is $300. If anyone thinks Directv would do a $50 pick your team, it will never happen.

I could however see that happen with MLB, hockey or basketball due to the price of the package and the significantly less number of games you would get.
No Claude. Its called trying to buy the most for the least. That is the act of a savvy consumer.

Could a New Lawsuit Threaten DIRECTV's NFL Sunday Ticket? http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...suit-threaten-directvs-nfl-sunday-ticket.aspx
In most cases, it's safe to classify cable and satellite providers as a commoditized business. And that's most apparent when watching competing advertisements in the space. Although service and picture quality are discussed, the key point conveyed for subscription TV services is price. In fact, price is considered so important to the buying decision that most major operators provide package pricing directly in their advertisements.The reason it's such a price-sensitive market is that you're essentially paying for a pipe -- nothing more than access to your choice of content. As such, there's not much value added from one operator to another, nor are there any huge differentiating features outside of menu and guide options. To most people, these things aren't important enough to prevent subscribers from switching, and those features that are -- such as DVR access -- are quickly copied.There is one exception to this rule, however. Unlike the other operators, satellite provider DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV ) shrewdly partnered with the NFL for sole rights to air its Sunday Ticket service. The out-of-market NFL package has been quite popular for DIRECTV -- but now it's under threat from a new lawsuit.

Heres guessing that your TEAM was not a regular in the playoffs.

That is a really bad guess. My team, or former team, was/is usually in the playoffs every year. Now, I don't have an emotional attachment to any NFL team at all. I didn't even watch the Super Bowl last year and didn't know who won until weeks later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)