Disable 722 upconversion

mpetrov

Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
NJ
Hello everybody,

Recently I upgraded my SD TV with a Sony LCD (52XBR9). My 722 is connected directly to the TV through an HDMI cable.

What is the way to turn off the video processing in 722 to make it send the programs in their original format to the TV, for example, 480i for the SD ones and 720p/1080i for the HD ones?

When I chose in the System Setup/HDTV Setup 16x9 and 1080i, the receiver started up-converting all content to 1080i.

I want the TV to do the scaling from the original resolution directly to 1080p (I think it has newer and better video processor) instead of 722 first going to 1080i and after that the TV to 1080p.

Thanks,
mpetrov

So folks, is there a preferred way to set up the output, i mean 720p vs. 1080i?

BTW, I am not coming from DTV, I just entered the HDTV world a month ago.

So folks, is there a preferred way to set up the output, i mean 720p vs. 1080i?

BTW, I am not coming from DTV, I just entered the HDTV world a month ago.

Try them both, and see which one looks best on YOUR tv.

My tv is a native 720p LCD, however, the VIP622 I have is set to 1080i, because after checking both, to my eyes, it seems to look better overall on my tv.

Make sure when you try them, you try them on SD channels, and channels that broadcast in actual HD (well....that is, what DISH claims is HD, (known around here as "HD-LITE"). Then, decide which you like best.

Most set it to 1080i. Though I see no difference when set to 720p. Not to my eyes anyway.

you would only notice the difference on things that are slightly off horizontal. for example if you are watching a tight-rope act. in 1080i the rope will look like a series of light and dark lines. in 720p it would be solid. but this would only be noticable if the rope were almost flat.

the other thing that makes this hard to notice is that some tvs will correct for this and then you will have an even harder time spotting it.

Thanks a lot folks.

I can only hope that the video chip set that Dish put in 722 will allow pass through of the content format to be enabled with SW upgrade. But, ... who knows.

I guess the cumulative deterioration from all that unnecessary video processing will always be negligible compared to the compression artifacts that Dish proudly brings on the TV screen :).

mpetrov

New Dish Customer ?

Retailer Chat Tommorow (Tues 11/10)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)