Disable Daily Program Guide Update

oldcargirl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Salt Lake City
I started a previous topic, 'Dish recording on my DVR' and the conversation went toward this subject so here is a new topic to address this.

In short, I have a 622 and used to keep my daily program guide update disabled. I just manually did it when the program guide information ran out about every two weeks.

For various reasons I don't want my TV signal shut down 'automatically'. No time is the right time to schedule this .

One example is I used to set my TV timer to come on when I was out of town and it helped look like someone was home. Now I can't do that.

The system started shutting itself down a few months back. Several CSR's told me they had no clue why and finally a senior tech told me DishNetwork was taking away the ability to disable the daily program guide update. He said it wasn't anything to do with the program guide, they want to send important software updates.

Everyday? What is so important they simply MUST shut down my system everyday?

I've tried several things to either override the shut down or to stimulate the signal returning afterward but any solutions were temporary, such as setting the auto-tune and recording a program. Both function but both stopped restarting the signal meaning the TV displays the black scrolling message screen.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
NO WAY

I started a previous topic, 'Dish recording on my DVR' and the conversation went toward this subject so here is a new topic to address this.

In short, I have a 622 and used to keep my daily program guide update disabled. I just manually did it when the program guide information ran out about every two weeks.

For various reasons I don't want my TV signal shut down 'automatically'. No time is the right time to schedule this .

One example is I used to set my TV timer to come on when I was out of town and it helped look like someone was home. Now I can't do that.

The system started shutting itself down a few months back. Several CSR's told me they had no clue why and finally a senior tech told me DishNetwork was taking away the ability to disable the daily program guide update. He said it wasn't anything to do with the program guide, they want to send important software updates.

Everyday? What is so important they simply MUST shut down my system everyday?

I've tried several things to either override the shut down or to stimulate the signal returning afterward but any solutions were temporary, such as setting the auto-tune and recording a program. Both function but both stopped restarting the signal meaning the TV displays the black scrolling message screen.

Any ideas?

There is no way possible to do what you are asking. If no won is there watching programming then it will shut down after 3 hrs and reboot to download updates.

Wrote this in the other thread.

Since you decided you needed 2 threads for the same question I wrote this on both of them.

If you think that being in complete control is the only way to go then it is time for you to go elsewhere. All VIP's now auto update and it is for s/w as well as guide reasons. I don't understand why anyone would care if the box updates every night except for cases of you are doing something that can't be talked about here. So you now have 2 choices get over it or get out. I really don't care which you choose. I think it is just fine if E* updates my unit every night. It's a Linux PC that needs to call home so to speak. Let it clear the cache or whatever it does when it calls home it doesn't hurt anything.

Since you decided you needed 2 threads for the same question I wrote this on both of them.

If you think that being in complete control is the only way to go then it is time for you to go elsewhere. All VIP's now auto update and it is for s/w as well as guide reasons. I don't understand why anyone would care if the box updates every night except for cases of you are doing something that can't be talked about here. So you now have 2 choices get over it or get out. I really don't care which you choose. I think it is just fine if E* updates my unit every night. It's a Linux PC that needs to call home so to speak. Let it clear the cache or whatever it does when it calls home it doesn't hurt anything.

What is your attitude problem?

It is NOT the same question!!!!!! And I am asking because Dish has made changes and they won't even admit it.

The original thread was asking about Dish recording on my DVR, something I had never is 15+ years had happen before. That thread turned into this topic and another poster suggested I start a new thread. Why don't you simply ignore me instead of being so nasty.

I am always amazed that because something fits one person they 'don't get' why it doesn't fit someone else. So you think it's just fine we all should? People like you are trolls, you don't offer any useful comments to a question, only your personal opinion which doesn't help in a technical forum.

I told you I have tinnitus and can't sleep without the TV so it is all all night. When we are home we watch TV non-stop and all of us find it absolutely irritating that during a program it stops to downlaod new sopftware updates, or we run to grab the remote to cancel it. My house isn't your house.

I also mentioned that when we travel, sometimes for more than 2 weeks at a go, I like to set my TV timer so it appears someone is home. Until a few months ago I could do that. I live in an upscale neighborhood yet we've had several burglaries. My alarm system would only limit how much time they choose to spend in my home and how much damage they can do while in there.
Since the economy went bad, we have alot of solicitors, they ignore the NO Soliciting signs, there has been problems in my areas with burglars who pretend to be sales people. If they knock and hear the TV on odds are very good they will move on even if I don't answer the door.

Secondly, when we are in our home city but are not home (for whatever reason that is frankly, none of your beeswax) I still like to have it look and sound like people are home. I leave my dogs indoors and having the TV on is nice, it also blankets out the sounds of kids or sirens and they are simply more peaceful with the TV on.

I can't for the life of me think of anything I even could be doing that would upset you so much, that I couldn't mention here or is remotely odd. We are business owners work long hours, attend various functions, run alot of errands like many people, and you don't. And for you to suggest so is offensive.

If it is such and strange request then why, at one time, could I disable the auto updates and leave it on the same channel indefinately? Why do manufacturers still make TV's with timers on them? No so bizzare for some people.

I came here for advice and have recieved a few informative tidbits, yet much criticism. If Dish Network was honest (or knowledgable?) and would give me straight answsers after hours of CSR time then many of us wouldn't be here now would we?

Watchel, maybe its time you found something else to do.

You know, I wouldn't care that it did the update but it doesn't return to programming. If the program would simply resume then I could live with the daily auto updates.

What an attitude

What is your attitude problem?

It is NOT the same question!!!!!! And I am asking because Dish has made changes and they won't even admit it.

The original thread was asking about Dish recording on my DVR, something I had never is 15+ years had happen before. That thread turned into this topic and another poster suggested I start a new thread. Why don't you simply ignore me instead of being so nasty.

I am always amazed that because something fits one person they 'don't get' why it doesn't fit someone else. So you think it's just fine we all should? People like you are trolls, you don't offer any useful comments to a question, only your personal opinion which doesn't help in a technical forum.

I told you I have tinnitus and can't sleep without the TV so it is all all night. When we are home we watch TV non-stop and all of us find it absolutely irritating that during a program it stops to downlaod new sopftware updates, or we run to grab the remote to cancel it. My house isn't your house.

I also mentioned that when we travel, sometimes for more than 2 weeks at a go, I like to set my TV timer so it appears someone is home. Until a few months ago I could do that. I live in an upscale neighborhood yet we've had several burglaries. My alarm system would only limit how much time they choose to spend in my home and how much damage they can do while in there.
Since the economy went bad, we have alot of solicitors, they ignore the NO Soliciting signs, there has been problems in my areas with burglars who pretend to be sales people. If they knock and hear the TV on odds are very good they will move on even if I don't answer the door.

Secondly, when we are in our home city but are not home (for whatever reason that is frankly, none of your beeswax) I still like to have it look and sound like people are home. I leave my dogs indoors and having the TV on is nice, it also blankets out the sounds of kids or sirens and they are simply more peaceful with the TV on.

I can't for the life of me think of anything I even could be doing that would upset you so much, that I couldn't mention here or is remotely odd. We are business owners work long hours, attend various functions, run alot of errands like many people, and you don't. And for you to suggest so is offensive.

If it is such and strange request then why, at one time, could I disable the auto updates and leave it on the same channel indefinately? Why do manufacturers still make TV's with timers on them? No so bizzare for some people.

I came here for advice and have recieved a few informative tidbits, yet much criticism. If Dish Network was honest (or knowledgable?) and would give me straight answsers after hours of CSR time then many of us wouldn't be here now would we?

Watchel, maybe its time you found something else to do.

A: I'm not a troll for every post you have made I have more than 100. B: you are the one that came in with the attitude that E* is doing something personal to you. C: if you want the TV to stay on while you are gone it is not hard but the update will take place over night due to the fact that the unit will go into standby. All you have to do is something really simple set a timer to come on say half an hour after the updates. BTW you are incorrect about burglars. They will most likely look at your house during the middle of the night and go every time I come by here no matter what time of day it is and there is always sound. They have left the TV on to make me think they are in there. In fact if your phone is listed that is how they confirm you are not there. They will just call a few times and if all they get is no answer or it goes to message your home/business will get busted into. My attitude had to do with yours. You started spouting this in one thread and then started it again in a new thread. It was answered in the first one so didn't see any reason for the second but you have the right to do that & I have the right to answer both with the same answer. Ain't this a great site, I think so and no longer post on the other that has a guy that deletes anything that he doesn't agree with. So stop felling like we are in attack mode, If I were I wouldn't have been this nice.

All you have to do is something really simple set a timer to come on say half an hour after the updates.

There's your workaround, Oldcargirl. I do it, but not for your reasons, rather just not having to get off the standby screen when I turn on the TV each day. Are we done now?

A: I'm not a troll for every post you have made I have more than 100. B: you are the one that came in with the attitude that E* is doing something personal to you. C: if you want the TV to stay on while you are gone it is not hard but the update will take place over night due to the fact that the unit will go into standby. All you have to do is something really simple set a timer to come on say half an hour after the updates. BTW you are incorrect about burglars. They will most likely look at your house during the middle of the night and go every time I come by here no matter what time of day it is and there is always sound. They have left the TV on to make me think they are in there. In fact if your phone is listed that is how they confirm you are not there. They will just call a few times and if all they get is no answer or it goes to message your home/business will get busted into. My attitude had to do with yours. You started spouting this in one thread and then started it again in a new thread. It was answered in the first one so didn't see any reason for the second but you have the right to do that & I have the right to answer both with the same answer. Ain't this a great site, I think so and no longer post on the other that has a guy that deletes anything that he doesn't agree with. So stop felling like we are in attack mode, If I were I wouldn't have been this nice.

The question was not answered on the first topic. It was very nicely suggested I start another topic because this is related, yet different than the first question

I have read all my posts and in no way have presented the idea the Dish Network is, can or wants to do anything personal to me. You imply that my reasons for not wanting the system to go into standy-by mode are underhanded. I again explained to you why I have my reasons (which I shouldn't have bothered) and you beat me up and give me your OPINION about burglaries.

I have family members, many friends and clients who are members of various police and sheriff agencies around the nation. Daytime home burglaries are much more frequent than night time home burglaries. My phone isn't listed. But that is neither here nor there. I am asking a technical question and you question my motives.

A nice poster made the suggestion to set a timer a while after the update, I responed that I had and it worked for a couple of weeks then only the black screen appeared.

I tried setting the auto tune and again, worked for a couple of weeks then the black stand-by screen appeared.

No CSR at Dish Network can tell me how to make the program visible again after the update without clikcing the remote. If you know how to do that why not just tell me?

No one has offered any other solution, such as is there a reciever that I CAN control, is there a way to resume watching the program after the update without manually clicking the remote, if this is important to our lifestyle and Dishnetwork has made changes then I am stuck with cable, anything?

There's your workaround, Oldcargirl. I do it, but not for your reasons, rather just not having to get off the standby screen when I turn on the TV each day. Are we done now?

As I mentioned on the first topic and again here that is not working.

What do you mean a simple timer? I've set timers to record each day as well as tried the auto tune. It does NOT reactivate the program. It records and it changes to the selected auto-tune channel but does NOT reactivate the program.

So, if you have found a work-around why not just provide me with some details? That would be most helpful.

As I mentioned on the first topic and again here that is not working.

What do you mean a simple timer? I've set timers to record each day as well as tried the auto tune. It does NOT reactivate the program. It records and it changes to the selected auto-tune channel but does NOT reactivate the program.

So, if you have found a work-around why not just provide me with some details? That would be most helpful.

Well, it should work and mine has worked flawlessly for nearly two years. Set a MANUAL, Auto-tune, daily timer to the station and time of your choice. If it is not sticking, then there is pilot error.

Both KAB & I

The question was not answered on the first topic. It was very nicely suggested I start another topic because this is related, yet different than the first question

I have read all my posts and in no way have presented the idea the Dish Network is, can or wants to do anything personal to me. You imply that my reasons for not wanting the system to go into standy-by mode are underhanded. I again explained to you why I have my reasons (which I shouldn't have bothered) and you beat me up and give me your OPINION about burglaries.

I have family members, many friends and clients who are members of various police and sheriff agencies around the nation. Daytime home burglaries are much more frequent than night time home burglaries. My phone isn't listed. But that is neither here nor there. I am asking a technical question and you question my motives.

A nice poster made the suggestion to set a timer a while after the update, I responed that I had and it worked for a couple of weeks then only the black screen appeared.

I tried setting the auto tune and again, worked for a couple of weeks then the black stand-by screen appeared.

No CSR at Dish Network can tell me how to make the program visible again after the update without clikcing the remote. If you know how to do that why not just tell me?

No one has offered any other solution, such as is there a reciever that I CAN control, is there a way to resume watching the program after the update without manually clicking the remote, if this is important to our lifestyle and Dishnetwork has made changes then I am stuck with cable, anything?

Both KAB & I have given you the same info and if you felt insulted then sorry you felt that way. As far day vs night burglaries it makes little difference since it may be your area is different than others. If it isn't working after a couple of weeks then there is something wrong with your set up. It may be that you were disabling the updates and that would have caused the problem right there. Disabling the updates is a bad thing to do with almost any computer. Whether it be a Win PC or an E* STB like the the VIP series. Coming from that point of view(PC) related that is where I question what you are trying to do. It may be that yoy are so new to the forums that it didn't occur to you that it sounds like you may be trying to do something less than above board. Now if your feels are hurt soeey again but you are the one that seemed to have problems with the way the equipment works and the limitations there in it really came off like you felt personally insulted by E* thta they would no longer allow you to run the system differently than it is design. It also sound like you felt you had a right to tamper with the settings of the system. Which sounds alot like someone wanting to do a bit of "hacking". I've apologized twice and if you still feel slighted then maybe you don't understand why how forums work that most are here to bitch about things. So go have a drink & calm down.

If you timers are not firing, try a hard reboot of the receiver (unplug, wait 1 minute, reconnect).

That usually refreshes the receivers OS and all is well.

I think oldcargirl was pretty clear with her question as well as stating what she had already done to resolve the issue on her own. Folks come to forums like this for help and advice not to be abused and insulted. As was stated if the CSR's at Dish could answer all the questions and solve all the problems there might not even be a need for this forum. SO the fact that it exists (this forum) is telling about what Dish will allow it's CSR's to discus with customers.
Personally I don't care if my receivers update at 3 am or 2 am or 12 noon. However it is a bit aggravating that with all the technology available that dish can't return the receiver to what ever it was doing at the time the update and reboot occurred. For reasons that are no ones business we often have the TV on all night. It is a bit annoying to wake up and see the screen saver or what ever it's called instead of the channel I was watching before I fell asleep. I also will note that what happens with one receiver does not always happen with another, for example Oldcargirl mentioned that she arrived home the other night to find that Dish had recorded a Christmas Message on her DVR. Didn't happen on mine.However I digress.
My point is when a question is posted if someone has an answer or advice then by all means share it. If you don't move on there is no reason to be rude or question someones motives. Also it is important to remember that everyone's skill and experience with this equipment is going to be different. The fact they are having problems probably means that they are at the end of their current level of skill or experience with the equipment.

Ross

Don't agree with this

I think oldcargirl was pretty clear with her question as well as stating what she had already done to resolve the issue on her own. Folks come to forums like this for help and advice not to be abused and insulted. As was stated if the CSR's at Dish could answer all the questions and solve all the problems there might not even be a need for this forum. SO the fact that it exists (this forum) is telling about what Dish will allow it's CSR's to discus with customers.
Personally I don't care if my receivers update at 3 am or 2 am or 12 noon. However it is a bit aggravating that with all the technology available that dish can't return the receiver to what ever it was doing at the time the update and reboot occurred. For reasons that are no ones business we often have the TV on all night. It is a bit annoying to wake up and see the screen saver or what ever it's called instead of the channel I was watching before I fell asleep. I also will note that what happens with one receiver does not always happen with another, for example Oldcargirl mentioned that she arrived home the other night to find that Dish had recorded a Christmas Message on her DVR. Didn't happen on mine.However I digress.
My point is when a question is posted if someone has an answer or advice then by all means share it. If you don't move on there is no reason to be rude or question someones motives. Also it is important to remember that everyone's skill and experience with this equipment is going to be different. The fact they are having problems probably means that they are at the end of their current level of skill or experience with the equipment.

Ross

I agree we come here to help and we try. I wasn't trying to be rude but the questions just turned out to point out that she had stated things that seem to be something that a hacker might be asking. She had spoken about it should be a right to "tinker" with the settings of the DVR. It was mistaken that that was not a veiled attempt at circumventing updates and possible security issues that E* does in those updates. So the "rudeness" was a questioning of motives. She didn't realize that the defensiveness was what caused the reaction that she felt was an "attitude". But I apologized for that so I feel that she continued to have a bad attitude. There seems to be little helping someone that takes offense easily. It seemed through out the exchange she didn't want to explain or do what she was asked or being told and to tell the truth it may sound stupid to someone that doesn't have the skills to deal with the way it is set up but wants to change the way it works. Now that it is over maybe we could've done thing differently but cooperation has to be on both ends for it to work. KAB & I both gave her what should have been the solution but she swears that it doesn't. So I feel skeptical that she has things set correctly to do what she wants it too. Not that I have finished the defense I feel the subject should be dropped except for if someone else has had the same problem.

The autotune timer needs to be a manual one or the first time there is a program change or no guide data, it won't fire. I would also set the priority to 1 and several of them, like every half hour.

I have my auto update set for 3am (default) and have an autotune manual timer set for 6am (before I get up) so my receivers are all awake before I am.

I have my auto update set for 3am (default) and have an autotune manual timer set for 6am (before I get up) so my receivers are all awake before I am.

I am set up exactly the same way. 3AM default and auto tune ABC7 Morning News at 5AM.....

Comment:

People like transparency...

This is true of businesses, governments, charitable organizations, sales people, etc. etc.

Citizens do not like to feel as if someone is messing around behind the scenes "improving" a policy or product or software which may impact its future value or functionality.

The above postings demonstrate this can also to be true of DVR's, and lack of transparency can result in unhappy customers and conflict.

Oldcargirl and whatchel1; and , I admit, myself are case in point.

Only a comment; that Dish has not been very transparent about some decisions recently.

iii.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)