Disappointed with HD-DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kurmugn

Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
We had a HD-DVR (model 10-250) installed yesterday, and I am disappointed by the lack of a couple of features. First, we lost the ability to see incoming phone calls displayed by caller-id. Second, we can't see the viewed program when we call up the "guide"; the "guide" completely obscures the program. On the model H10, we could see the caller-id information, and the viewed program is a small inset when viewing the "guide". Why does their most expensive equipment lack features that their cheapest model has? POOR ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT AT DIRECTV, WITH LACK OF GOOD PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS BEING GIVEN TO DESIGNERS!

beast37799 said:
apparently u didnt do your research no directtivo sd or hd has caller id that in my opinion is the only fault of the unit as for the guides thats with all tivos
Ditto that both are well know features or problems on the TiVo. As you use the TiVo you will use the guide less so lack of picture won't be an issue. If you really want caller ID there are after market products that can add the feature. I have several cordless phones that have illuminated caller ID's so it isn't a loss. :)

I like no caller id on my DVR, IF it records it on top of the program. IF it is 100% independent then I would want it.

Wanting HD, I switched from DishNet (had their Tivo-equivalent PVR). With that unit, the program was visible next to the guide, and caller-id was presented on-screen, but did not get recorded. So, I got used to those user-friendly features, which I found to be useful. For Directv to have designed those features into their cheaper model H10, but to leave those features out of the H10-250 DVR, demonstrates poor engineering management and lack of complete product specification at the design phase. Of course the paid defenders will respond with predictable sour-grapes philosophy.

weel atleast the hd tivo does what its supposed do unlike the 921 not only that but i do recall seeing that the hd tivo was a year behind as far as release . but if u want to talk about paid defenders it sounds like u are one . i wish was paid could certanly use the money

Uh, would you really want a phone number to pop up when watching a recorded program? Nope. There's nothing wrong with the engineering, it's just we know that people who tivo don't want the phone # displayed.

Turn it off

All receivers with Caller ID have the ability to turn the display off if you want to do so. Obviously, if you are recording that is something you would want to do. Having it available for when you DO want it would be a nice feature though, don't you think?

kurmugn said:
Wanting HD, I switched from DishNet (had their Tivo-equivalent PVR). With that unit, the program was visible next to the guide, and caller-id was presented on-screen, but did not get recorded. So, I got used to those user-friendly features, which I found to be useful. For Directv to have designed those features into their cheaper model H10, but to leave those features out of the H10-250 DVR, demonstrates poor engineering management and lack of complete product specification at the design phase. Of course the paid defenders will respond with predictable sour-grapes philosophy.

I can only say, you should have done some research before dropping 8 to 9 hundred dollars on the thing.

Would you buy a toaster if it didn't work the way you think it should? How about a lawn mower... if you needed a muching mower, would you buy one that didn't mulch? Would you buy a car if it didn't have the features that you wanted, like maybe A/C or a CD Player?

Sounds like buyers remorse to me.

I am dissapointed with Tivo too

why do you bash him for pointing out some of the inadequacies of the HD Tivo and for all Tivo's for that matter. You would think that a reciever costing around a grand would have what I call basic functions that all base type recievers have.. I am a new customer to Direct from Dish had the 508 and I have to say that I am disappointed in the Tivo unit, many guys here have raved about how good it is. But for me I can point out a few shortcomings of these units.
1. No Caller ID. if you have never had it on your tv you are missing something. I new it didn't have but I am working on doing something about it.
2. Also I hate the layout of the remote. Who in the world puts the tv power button right about the number one key.
3. There is no stop button for the dvr function with the remote. I know that it comes like that from the factory but I have it where it jumps 30 seconds I like that function better.
4. I wish it had a search in your guide like other units have were you can still see what you are watching and roll through channels at the top or bottom of your screen.
5. The remote is not a universal remote. I have to find my vcr and stereo remote now.
6. If you want to rewind you have to go through the whole program do it.
7. The guide is supper supper supper slow.
8. I wish you could just have it autotune to certian channel at a certian time without having to have it record.
9. That boinking noise gets on my wifes nerves (Don't guess you can call it a bad thing LOL)

The only reason I switched is because I love baseball "yankees for that matter" and you don't get many yankees games on Dish and also it cost way to much to upgrade to get 2 more DVR's when 3 Tivo's cost me a total of 105 bucks including a phase three dish and switch. That is after the rebate.

Dodge4322, your missing one VERY important feature that the HD10-250 has over the like E* product, it WORKS! As for all your other points, you could have found them out by looking at the D* web site and reading the online manual (except for slow guides). You points are not saying that something isn't working, just that you don't like how it's designed. The BIG issue with E* hardware is that it has way too many problems, this is after all just TV, it should just work.

I have deleted what I did not want to respond to here and also corrected much of the spelling though your post (sorry, it’s a pet peeve). You can get me on the flip side for my grammar if you like.

dodge4322 said:
why do you bash him for pointing out some of the inadequacies of the HD TiVo and for all TiVo's for that matter. You would think that a receiver costing around a grand would have what I call basic functions that all base type receivers have.. I am a new customer to Direct from Dish had the 508 and I have to say that I am disappointed in the TiVo unit, many guys here have raved about how good it is. But for me I can point out a few shortcomings of these units.
I have seen and had the 501/508 series and it is s POS compared to the worst TiVo on the market. People should look into things before they dump a grand on them. Nothing is perfect, at least none of the electronics I own are, they all are missing something and/or have something that is worthless.
dodge4322 said:
1. No Caller ID. if you have never had it on your TV you are missing something. I new it didn't have but I am working on doing something about it.
Almost all D* receivers have caller ID, other than the TiVo units because TiVo chose not to build this into the unit. Now that it is Open Source I am sure it will show up … but you may have to do it yourself.
dodge4322 said:
3. There is no stop button for the DVR function with the remote. I know that it comes like that from the factory but I have it where it jumps 30 seconds I like that function better.
Drives me nuts too, I hope the next generation box will have a “spot record” function.
dodge4322 said:
4. I wish it had a search in your guide like other units have were you can still see what you are watching and roll through channels at the top or bottom of your screen.
Coming Soon to a DirecTV DVR near you!
dodge4322 said:
5. The remote is not a universal remote. I have to find my vcr and stereo remote now.
dodge4322 said:
6. If you want to rewind you have to go through the whole program do it.
It will control the TiVo, TV and AV … try reading the manual
dodge4322 said:
7. The guide is supper super, super slow.
Switch to the TiVo Live Guide … it’s in the book.
dodge4322 said:
9. That boinking noise gets on my wife’s nerves (Don't guess you can call it a bad thing LOL)
Here is another one solved by the manual. My wife hates it too; so it is set to off now.
dodge4322 said:
The only reason I switched is because I love baseball "Yankees for that matter" and you don't get many Yankees games on Dish and also it cost way to much to upgrade to get 2 more DVRs when 3 TiVo’s cost me a total of 105 bucks including a phase three dish and switch. That is after the rebate.
Go Red Sox … only because I despise the Yankees and now the Pats, I hate Dynasties, long live the NHL … or die as it appears. Considering your value, as you stated it does not sound like you got it too bad. It actually sounds like a great deal.

oh I no I got a good deal I no that and I want be trading it for dish anytime soon. You are right in that it will work an additional av but what about my surround sound, dvd. I just think that being a dvr costing a little more than regular recievers that it would have the base receivers functions. Just like a car when you upgrade to something better you dont loose something else for the most part.

dodge4322 said:
oh I no I got a good deal I no that and I want be trading it for dish anytime soon. You are right in that it will work an additional av but what about my surround sound, dvd. I just think that being a dvr costing a little more than regular recievers that it would have the base receivers functions. Just like a car when you upgrade to something better you dont loose something else for the most part.

If you sell your Volkswagen and buy a BMW, would you assume that the BMW has all the features your Volkswagen had? They're both cars, after all.

dodge4322 said:
If you really want a universal solution try a Harmony 676 or 659. I have and love both. The 676 is more suited to a DVR ... ANY DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.