Disconnnecting one of my STB

birdo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
I am sending one of my receivers back as I do not need it anymore. Anyway, when I disconnect it, I lose satellite channels on the other and itsits at the screen telling me I need to acquire satellites but it never does. I plug the thing back in and everything is fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

VIP 722 in use. I disconnected VIP 222 as I longer need it. I have the latest Dish 1000. I am not sure about switches and the like. I think it has 4 LNBs perhaps

Run check switch again. Menu, 6, 1, 1 and tell us what the results are.

OK it did tt on input 1 and 2 (#38 of #38). Results are show in the screen caps

2439346819_049ae7fa8c.jpg

2440172180_f8fc472185.jpg

You're not getting any signal at all. Check the back of the 722 and make sure you have the two Satellite inputs connected to the DP Separator (looks like a splitter).

Do you have a DPP44 switch?

We need to see the check switch on the 722 with the other receiver plugged in to be able to help you. What you showed before doesnt help. Odds are there is a power inserter to a DPP44 switch that is getting disconnected.

We need to see the check switch on the 722 with the other receiver plugged in to be able to help you. What you showed before doesnt help. Odds are there is a power inserter to a DPP44 switch that is getting disconnected.

Here ya go. Thanks. This is on the VIP 722

2440272372_41c76e07ea.jpg

You do indeed have a DPP44 switch. It is powered by a power inserter which is plugged into a household 110 volt outlet and then into the coax cable going to the dish. When you disconnected the 222 the switch is losing all power and thus the 722 wont work. You need to find the power inserter and hook it back up on the 722 instead. Here is a diagram to show you how it all ties together. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_Pro_Plus_44_Switch_1.pdf

I forgot to mention as well that the power inserter is supposed to be on port 1 of the DPP44. You will need to find the DPP44 switch and hook the line that goes to the 722 into port 1 which is the left most port on the bottom of the switch.

You do indeed have a DPP44 switch. It is powered by a power inserter which is plugged into a household 110 volt outlet and then into the coax cable going to the dish. When you disconnected the 222 the switch is losing all power and thus the 722 wont work. You need to find the power inserter and hook it back up on the 722 instead. Here is a diagram to show you how it all ties together. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_Pro_Plus_44_Switch_1.pdf

Thank you for the information. I am thinking the only place this inserter could be is up or near the Dish itself. I have seen the DPP44 switch from looking at your diagram. I will check that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info. I did not find an inserter anywhere around the Dish, the switch or in the house at all. I switched the two feeds coming from the dual RG6 cable coming from the dish/switch. That did the trick

The power inserter is a small metallic colored square box with a supply unit that is a black plastic rectangle shaped box, usually installed behind a receiver. It has a small light in the corner of it that should be lit. To aid in finding it, try unhooking whatever line is connected to Receiver Port 2 on the switch and see which receiver goes down. Then check behind the other receiver, following the coax from the wall to the box. You may have to trace the line all the way out, but one of them should have it. If not, you really ought to call DISH and tell them you don't have a power supply on your DPP44 switch, that it is only receiver powered.

The power inserter is a small metallic colored square box with a supply unit that is a black plastic rectangle shaped box, usually installed behind a receiver. It has a small light in the corner of it that should be lit. To aid in finding it, try unhooking whatever line is connected to Receiver Port 2 on the switch and see which receiver goes down. Then check behind the other receiver, following the coax from the wall to the box. You may have to trace the line all the way out, but one of them should have it. If not, you really ought to call DISH and tell them you don't have a power supply on your DPP44 switch, that it is only receiver powered.

OK, I have looked everywhere and I have not found a power inserter anywhere. What I did do was switch feeds coming down from the RG6 Dual cable, connected to the switch up by the dish. Once I did, the 722 now works just fine. Should I still be concerned about no power inserter?

OK, I have looked everywhere and I have not found a power inserter anywhere. What I did do was switch feeds coming down from the RG6 Dual cable, connected to the switch up by the dish. Once I did, the 722 now works just fine. Should I still be concerned about no power inserter?

I would tend to think that DISH includes a power inserter and supply with these units because they feel it is necessary for proper operation otherwise they would spend the money manufacturing those parts. DishPro receiver produce a lot of current so it may be enough to run the switch. Probably more so with two DP receivers connected. Since you are disconnecting one of your receivers, I would be more concerned about insufficient current reaching the switch, possibly leading to problems down the road.

The question you'll have to answer for yourself is: Do you want to be pro-active about fixing potential problems, or do you want to be reactive if those problems do occur? Are you fine with being without satellite for a few days while waiting on a tech to come out or a part to ship to you?

I would tend to think that DISH includes a power inserter and supply with these units because they feel it is necessary for proper operation otherwise they would spend the money manufacturing those parts. DishPro receiver produce a lot of current so it may be enough to run the switch. Probably more so with two DP receivers connected. Since you are disconnecting one of your receivers, I would be more concerned about insufficient current reaching the switch, possibly leading to problems down the road.

The question you'll have to answer for yourself is: Do you want to be pro-active about fixing potential problems, or do you want to be reactive if those problems do occur? Are you fine with being without satellite for a few days while waiting on a tech to come out or a part to ship to you?

Thanks for the info. What is the cost for a part like this and will Dish just send it to me?

It should have been included with the DPP44 to begin with. If Dish installed your system, they should provide the part. If somebody local, call them and ask why it wasn't included.

It should have been included with the DPP44 to begin with. If Dish installed your system, they should provide the part. If somebody local, call them and ask why it wasn't included.

It was someone local contracted by Dish. I will inquire about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)