Discovery HDT + Voom Originals = worth $23/month?

ripit

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I just purchased my first HDTV set and I am considering V* in addition to my local cable service (Cablevision). I am not currently considering Voom as my sole provider at this point due to the lack of RSN's (YES, FSN-HD, MSG-HD) and a few SD channels.

I can get the CV "iO Gold" package for ~$87/month, which which would give me the HD & SD RSN's + INHD which I cannot get with V*, plus I would be getting all of the HD channels in the VaVaVoom package except for Discovery HDT and the V* Originals (obviously) plus Encore HD and the West Coast HD feeds of HBO, Starz, SHO & Cinemax.

Alternatively, I can get the basic CV iO package with no premium channels for ~$30/mo and VaVaVoom at $80/mo. In effect, I would be paying an extra $23/mo. to get DHDT, Encore-HD & V* Originals. The WC feeds of HBO, Starz, etc. are nice, but CV is rolling out an HD-DVR in my area, which minimizes value of having E&W feeds.

Having little experience with DHDT and having never watched and V* originals, my question (finally!) is whether the majority of people here feel that you watch the programming on the V* originals and DHDT enough that it would be worth an extra $23 per month in your opinion. If not, do you feel that there is a significant PQ improvment over that of cable that would justify spending the extra $ to receive both services?

My viewing preferences are (in order of importance):
1- Movies
2- Sports
3- Nature/Science/Educational
4- Don't watch much else (almost no network TV - except sports)

Any opinions/suggestions you all may have are welcome!

TIA

Except for time there really isn't anything to lose by trying Voom. There's still no commitment and the install is still free. Try it out and decide if you like them. The Voom originals and DHDT contain a lot of repeated programming. If sports are the biggest thing for you then you will probably be happier with the cable. Probably sounds silly on a Voom forum but it is true. Just give Voom a try and cancel if you don't like it.

For me personally, I could never turn down my hometeam's games in HD, plus 3 HD games a week on INHD. You seem to have plenty of movie choices with cable, and tons more with Voom. DHDT is something that gets old after a couple of weeks. Eventually, IMO, you'll want good content and HD. Good luck. Enjoy living someplace with a non-sh!+ for brains cable company.

cyuhnke said:
For me personally, I could never turn down my hometeam's games in HD, plus 3 HD games a week on INHD. You seem to have plenty of movie choices with cable, and tons more with Voom. DHDT is something that gets old after a couple of weeks. Eventually, IMO, you'll want good content and HD. Good luck. Enjoy living someplace with a non-sh!+ for brains cable company.
I usually agree with you but.......... discoveryhd has american chopper now and monster garage is coming. all the good shows will migrate to it in HD from its sd counterpart. And AM chopper is the best show on TV!

ripit said:
I just purchased my first HDTV set and I am considering V* in addition to my local cable service (Cablevision). I am not currently considering Voom as my sole provider at this point due to the lack of RSN's (YES, FSN-HD, MSG-HD) and a few SD channels.

I can get the CV "iO Gold" package for ~$87/month, which which would give me the HD & SD RSN's + INHD which I cannot get with V*, plus I would be getting all of the HD channels in the VaVaVoom package except for Discovery HDT and the V* Originals (obviously) plus Encore HD and the West Coast HD feeds of HBO, Starz, SHO & Cinemax.

Alternatively, I can get the basic CV iO package with no premium channels for ~$30/mo and VaVaVoom at $80/mo. In effect, I would be paying an extra $23/mo. to get DHDT, Encore-HD & V* Originals. The WC feeds of HBO, Starz, etc. are nice, but CV is rolling out an HD-DVR in my area, which minimizes value of having E&W feeds.

Having little experience with DHDT and having never watched and V* originals, my question (finally!) is whether the majority of people here feel that you watch the programming on the V* originals and DHDT enough that it would be worth an extra $23 per month in your opinion. If not, do you feel that there is a significant PQ improvment over that of cable that would justify spending the extra $ to receive both services?

My viewing preferences are (in order of importance):
1- Movies
2- Sports
3- Nature/Science/Educational
4- Don't watch much else (almost no network TV - except sports)

Any opinions/suggestions you all may have are welcome!

TIA

If I were you- I'd wait a while (I wish I had) Voom is having a lot of problems with PQ, software and teh Moto STB. 50% of the install are botched. They will get their act together at some point, but they have yet to-It is still a beta service. wait until fall and Voom has a DVR and larger dish.

Seawaves said:
If I were you- I'd wait a while (I wish I had) Voom is having a lot of problems with PQ, software and teh Moto STB. 50% of the install are botched. They will get their act together at some point, but they have yet to-It is still a beta service. wait until fall and Voom has a DVR and larger dish.

The only problem is that if everyone took this attitude, voom might not even be around by the time fall came around, much less have a dvr.

As with anything, the early adopters of a new system/product/service etc... have to realize that it's just that, new, and have to be willing to put up with a few bugs and glitches. Such was the case with HD in general (and still is to a certain extent) and just about everything else. You have nothing to lose since there is no commitment. Give it a try.

Basically if everyone waited, voom wouldn't have any subscribers and would have to close up shop. Personally I'm the "gotta have it" type and don't mind a few initial bumps in the road. Hopefully they will all get ironed out soon enough.

Seawaves said:
If I were you- I'd wait a while (I wish I had) Voom is having a lot of problems with PQ, software and teh Moto STB. 50% of the install are botched.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your statistics, but I'd say your using fuzzy logic and/or math.

If 50% of the installs are botched and Voom has that many problems then explain the boom in their sub numbers?

lostcause said:
The only problem is that if everyone took this attitude, voom might not even be around by the time fall came around, much less have a dvr.

As with anything, the early adopters of a new system/product/service etc... have to realize that it's just that, new, and have to be willing to put up with a few bugs and glitches. Such was the case with HD in general (and still is to a certain extent) and just about everything else. You have nothing to lose since there is no commitment. Give it a try.

Basically if everyone waited, voom wouldn't have any subscribers and would have to close up shop. Personally I'm the "gotta have it" type and don't mind a few initial bumps in the road. Hopefully they will all get ironed out soon enough.

Lostcause makes a great point that I think many of fellow members forget...there are risks associated with being an early adopter.

wasch_24 said:
Except for time there really isn't anything to lose by trying Voom. There's still no commitment and the install is still free. Try it out and decide if you like them.

Thanks all for your replies. I am not too worried about the possible install headaches or other issues. I am willing to deal with the growing pains, as I like the idea that their express goal is to deliver the most HD of any provider. I am willing to bet that things will only get better with time. If not, no worries since, as Wasch24 points out, there is not commitment to try it out. If things turn out to be worse than expected and do not improve over time I can always cancel with no penalty.

I think I will give it a shot. After shelling out big $$$ for an HDTV I'd like to get as much HD programming as possible.

Thanks again for the input!

Voom is well worth it.. EquatorHD and RushHD in addition to Discovery and OTA PBS HD channels are WELL worth the monthly charge. I've found that I watch those four channels more than anything else now (aside from occasional news). The movie channels are also not too bad. I caught Terminator in HD on the monsters channel the other day..

I like Voom quite a bit. If your willing to deal with some glitches, it's worth it. I, unlike some other folks, don't have much problems with the picture quality. Once you start watching HD, SD just is gonna look like crap. There is nothing that can be done about it.

You will be wowed when you see the picture, I think it's great. The concerts are good, as is Discovery HD. I find myself watching it quite a bit. Bravo HD is good too and watching the occasional baseball game in HD on ESPNHD is sweeeet. There is an occasional good movie on the HD channels (The Terminator was on over the weekend, and it did make it worth watching it again after seeing it like a hundred times.)

It's new, there are gonna be problems, so factor that in. If you really want your set to come alive, get it. You will be blown away. There are times that your tv will literally look like a window, which is pretty damn cool.

ripit said:
Discovery HDT + Voom Originals = worth $23/month?
I guess it is a matter of taste and a personal preference. For me, it is definitely worth it.

1. I like European soccer, so for me WorldSportHD channel with its live broadcasts during the season is worth $23 a month alone. This is about what I would expect to pay for matches of a similar level with other satellite providers (and that's per game and in SD!)

2. Cinema-10 showed many of my favorite movies, that I wouldn't mind renting or even buying. I would say it saves me 3-5 DVD rentals a month.

3. I like to watch other exclusive channels from time to time too: Gallery, Rave, Equator, MOOV, Rush, HDN. My wife loves UltraHD.

Hard to estimate a market value of something that is not available anywhere else, but I think I would've paid 39.90 a month just for those 21 HD Exclusive channels if VOOM had nothing else. For me, these channels make a difference between occasional HD viewing, that I had before VOOM, and watching HD 90% of the time, that I am enjoying now.

Ilya said:
...I think I would've paid 39.90 a month just for those 21 HD Exclusive channels if VOOM had nothing else. For me, these channels make a difference between occasional HD viewing, that I had before VOOM, and watching HD 90% of the time, that I am enjoying now.

I am glad to hear that some of you value the V* Exclusives. I got the impression from reading this and other forums that most folks felt that all of the exclusive content is basically worthelss. Though I haven't seen any of the channels, my feeling is that among the 21 different channels there is bound to be something on most of the time that is at least as good as the junk that most of the major networks put out - and it is in HD :D

I am also a big movie fan, old and new, so it will be nice to always have 10 different movies available in HD at any given time on the Cinema channels.

Thanks again for the input! Now I am just hoping that I can get a mostly painless install ;)

ripit said:
I am glad to hear that some of you value the V* Exclusives. I got the impression from reading this and other forums that most folks felt that all of the exclusive content is basically worthelss.

Can't speak for anyone else but I love some of the voom exclusives. Yes they are a bit repetitive, but I find myself watching the Monsters channel more than anything else right now. Rush and Rave are very good too...these get very repetitive, but I guess I had a good first impression with Rave. Turned it on to see Sheryl Crow dancing around in HD!! :D

Some of the cinema10 movies are very good too. Monsters is definitely my favorite though.

Rush, Rave, and Monsters are by far the best channels that are Voom only.

Discovery HD may be the best HD channel anywhere. And I think it is Vooms best looking PQ wise channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)