Discovery Planet Green

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
Has anyone heard anything about this channel coming to Dish? I saw some news about it on tv and they said the channel was coming next month. I went online but could not find any information regarding who will carry the channel.

Sorry guys found more information Discovery Home will be Planet Green
http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/33556

Last edited:
I don't really understand this channel. Doesn't Discovery already have enough channels? How about less repeats and just add this programming to the other channels as appropriate.

It's just another rebrand (of Discovery Home). Only difference is they will be adding an HD feed at the same time.

I would assume the SD version will be carried automatically, just like Military Channel (formerly Discovery Wings), and Investigation Discovery (formerly Discovery Times, which was formerly Discovery Civilization, which was formerly Discovery People, which was formerly CBS Eye On People.)

They haven't actually launched a new channel since 1998 or so.

They will be rebranding Discovery Health as OWN next year. I would imagine there might be some renegotiation there...Oprah gotta get paid.

E* subs should not see any changes after the channel launches. At this time, I haven't heard any carriers picking up the HD feed. The OWN channel is a 50/50 ownership with Oprah. Question will be if FitTV comes back to E* after Oprah's channel is launched. Several shows will be going over to FitTV in 2009 according to the press release.

Was FitTV ever on DISH?

I know when I left DirecTV, they had America's Health Network, which eventually became FitTV...but AHN wasn't on DISH at the time.

Oh, and since everyone will WANT to carry the Oprah channel, they will probably force them to take FitTV with it. Isn't it pretty much the only Discovery channel not carried on DISH?

Will Charlie play hardball with Oprah? Do Oxygen and Lifetime provide enough "women's programming"? Stay tuned - movie at 11!

I don't really understand this channel. Doesn't Discovery already have enough channels? How about less repeats and just add this programming to the other channels as appropriate.

OK, let's spell this out a little more s-l-o-w-l-y.

Discovery decides to produce/buy a bunch of "eco-programming" (Supposedly 250 hours, but I don't know if or how much of that already existed on other channels)

They take one of their least popular channels- Discovery Home- that is already packed with old reruns and programming that is repeated from other channels. They change the name to Planet Green and add NEW programming. The old stuff on Discovery Home gets distributed appropriately. Some of it might be appropriate to stay on Planet Green. Some might be sent to TLC, where at least it will be repeated less often. Maybe they sell some to HGTV. Maybe they just stop showing some of it, since it's ancient.

So you have a NEW channel with NEW programming. But you have one less channel that has OLD programming. And possibly, some other channels now have MORE programming (though it's old).

Same number of channels. More programming.

When they start up OWN, they'll be adding a ton of Oprah stuff. I don't like her, but I'm in the minority, clearly. (I don't even know what "Oprah stuff" would be.) But there will be new programming. They will change the name of Discovery Health to OWN. The Health programming will be distributed to FitTV, Science Channel, TLC, Discovery...wherever appropriate.

Same number of channels. More programming.

How is this a bad thing? Unless you're a big fan of the afternoon crafting block on Discovery Home, or America's Craziest Surgery Mishaps on Discovery Health there's no reason to complain.

Can't anybody around here have a positive or rational outlook on ANYTHING? There's plenty to bitch about without making a big deal about every little thing.

Several people have already started threads on this channel, so obviously there's some interest.

Here's the only thread I could find about Discovery Home...

Was FitTV ever on DISH?

I know when I left DirecTV, they had America's Health Network, which eventually became FitTV...but AHN wasn't on DISH at the time.

FitTV was called Cable Health Club then merged with AHN to be The Health Network then called it back to FitTV. I had C-Band when all this happened. So, I thought E* had one or any combination of the above channels. Thanks

Discovery is revamping their programming. This is always a good thing for consumers. Why have two or three channels devoted home & leisure instead of a focus channel like Planet Green, Animal Planet, ID, etc. Discovery is always investing in new ideas. They are great content provider in my book. Oprah does not own Lifetime (never did), used to have a equity interest in Oxygen (now NBCU channel). This is a new 50/50 adventure for the parties. After some time, that many change. Travel Channel is no longer owned by DCI, but they provide content and distributes the channel. Based on the past, E* had a great relationship with DCI. We have Travel Channel-HD, had digital discovery channels for a long time, and had the HD feeds well before other carriers. I am looking forward to this channel - Planet Green

Yeah, my wife watches HGTV , DIY, and TLC all the time, and even she never tunes into Discovery Home. She will watch an Eco-channel for sure.

Some people just have to complain about everything. Too many channels/not enough channels. :rolleyes: They want what they want, and screw everyone else.

BTW...Travel Channel HD is FANTASTIC. It's true HD almost every time I tune in. I just wish Discovery wouldn't do the zoom thing, but it does look good in comparison to stretching. My logical side says "They're removing part of the picture...it's bad." But my eyes love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)