Discovery+

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hope my wife does not find out about this, if it was up to her, Food Network would be on 24/7.

Hope my wife does not find out about this, if it was up to her, Food Network would be on 24/7.

Isn't clear to me if it includes the live channel or just all the catalog. The Magnolia stuff might be interesting but I expect that to show up on Xfinity eventually.

If it’s like it is in England it’s just in demand content. A lot of new and exclusive (for now) to Discovery +

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Considering it has a commercial free tier, like Hulu, I would expect it to be at least next day. So yes, on demand only.

Coming January 4th. Discovery+ starts streaming in the US on January 4th for $5 per month

Pretty sure I already get all the content from Xfinity so not much for me.
Looks like some content (they say 50+ programs at launch) are exclusive to this and you won't get from your xfinity package. This is interesting because we might actually be at the point where the wife could be happy with streaming only (this has HGTV, Food, TLC and the upcoming Magnolia from Chip and Joanna Gains).

Isn't clear to me if it includes the live channel or just all the catalog. The Magnolia stuff might be interesting but I expect that to show up on Xfinity eventually.
Magnolia is taking the place of DIY so assuming you already get that it should show up there.

One thing I heard them say that I find interesting is that you can "create your own channel". Essentially tell it what you like and it will generate a channel that plays that content (e.g. Food or Home).

I may check it out for a few months to see what sort of exclusive content it offers. I assume the channel will show up on AppleTV at least.

I may check it out for a few months to see what sort of exclusive content it offers. I assume the channel will show up on AppleTV at least.
They said on the investor call that they expect to be available on all of the platforms (roku, amazon, apple, etc.). It wasn't clear if those deals are all done or not, but I have to assume they will be.

One thing I heard them say that I find interesting is that you can "create your own channel". Essentially tell it what you like and it will generate a channel that plays that content (e.g. Food or Home).

Prima facie, it looks like an interesting concept. I’m not sure how, in practice, it won’t essentially be repackaged binge watching of a show or two.

One of the things that I feel is missing from streaming is the concept of channels, and curated programming, like old school prime time TV. Collections of similar shows. The same thing is more or less missing in streaming music as well (although there are a number of play lists available that can substitute). This is one of the reasons I like Sirius XM for radio in the car... DJs and no commercials.

Anyhow, this could be an interesting next step in the evolution of the streaming experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be anxious to review the available content at release. I have no interest in content from the Food channel, and very little from HGTV, but I might be interested in the content from the History Channel. I miss the old History Channel(Along with the travel channel, Science and National Geo)that was focused on original programs and documentaries before shifting to reality programming that now dominates cable TV.

Reactions: Jhon69 and Zookster
I will be anxious to review the available content at release. I have no interest in content from the Food channel, and very little from HGTV, but I might be interested in the content from the History Channel. I miss the old History Channel(Along with the travel channel, Science and National Geo)that was focused on original programs and documentaries before shifting to reality programming that now dominates cable TV.
National Geo is in Disney +,for History check out History Vault, then check out Philo.

If it’s like it is in England it’s just in demand content. A lot of new and exclusive (for now) to Discovery +

Yes, it's been confirmed that Discovery+ won't include their linear channels. It's a big on-demand library with past seasons of series from those various channels (Discovery, TLC, Food, HGTV, etc.), plus some new content that's exclusive to the app. And then it will also be the exclusive streaming home for certain BBC nature docs like Planet Earth. And it will have past seasons of various shows from the A+E Networks group (A&E, History, Lifetime). In addition, some of the content that will air on the upcoming Magnolia channel (which DIY will rebrand as in 2021) will get a "sneak-peak" debut on Discovery+. But that app isn't going to be the permanent featured home for new content from Chip and Joanna Gaines's Magnolia, which will instead reside on its own cable network and streaming app.

But, critically, it does not appear that current-season episodes from any of those cable channels (with the exception of the Magnolia sneak-peak) will appear on Discovery+. So it won't be like Hulu, where new episodes from ABC, Fox, etc. show up on the app next-day.

Because of this, Discovery+ isn't really set to be a replacement for cable TV but instead it will act more as a complement to it. If you want the latest episodes of shows from those channels, you'll still need a cable TV package (or, at the least, something like the $20/mo Philo skinny bundle).

So I wonder if all the shows that are currently on demand n their Go apps will go away and just be the live channels?

I'm looking forward to it myself. The Food/HGTV stuff is formulaic enough to tune out while doing other things, but interesting enough in some moments to break up the other things. We've been using Food Network Go and HGTV Go with our Philo subscription, but both have ads. Discovery+, without ads, may be enough to get us off of Philo, even.

- Trip

I have Verizon so if they offer a free trial I am going to give it a try since I have the unlimited plan. They are offering great value as of late with free Disney bundle that includes ESPN plus and Hulu.

So I wonder if all the shows that are currently on demand n their Go apps will go away and just be the live channels?

I doubt it. Their individual channel "Go" apps are their TV everywhere apps for cable TV subscribers. In addition to the live channels, those apps also offer their current season shows on-demand. That new content won't be included in the discovery+ app.

Now, as for on-demand access to past seasons of shows in the Go apps, I don't know. Maybe they'll divide that stuff up so that, at any given time, some episodes are in the Go apps and some are in d+. Or maybe there will be a lot of overlap, with lots of older content showing up in both places at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)