Discrete power off code acting as power toggle

bobl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem which began with S234? The discrete power off code now acts as a power toggle meaning it turns the Hopper off, if it's on, but turns it on, if it's off. The discrete power off code should turn the Hopper off, if it's on, but do nothing if it's already off. It should never turn the Hopper on. The discrete power on and off codes are typically used in a third party remote in conjunction with macros (a string of codes) which set your system for the viewing of a particular source, amongst other things.

I hadn't noticed but you are correct!!! This explains why I've been seeing the Hopper on when it should be off.

I use a URC MX-980. I don't remember if Hopper is in their database but Hopper uses the same codes as previous models and all has been working fine.

Fortunately, the power on code doesn't toggle Hopper's power state. It only seems to be the power off code that's broken.

I didn't know the Hopper had discrete on and off codes.
Almost every CE device does, even if they only have a power toggle button on their native remote. It's very common, nowadays, due to the popularity of universal remotes and smart-home control systems from Harmony, Crestron, Control4, URC, etc, as well as industrial/commercial control systems from AMX, Crestron, and others.

My Hopper with sling is on S308 and this issue still exists. I wonder if we can expect a fix? Does anyone know if the discrete off code ever worked for the Hopper?

My Hopper with sling is on S308 and this issue still exists. I wonder if we can expect a fix? Does anyone know if the discrete off code ever worked for the Hopper?
With the original Hopper, yes, the discrete off code did work at one time. It's been broken for at least a couple of releases.

Don't know about HWS.

Discrete on works properly BTW. This makes it difficult to detect the problem with discrete off. But if you run your power off macro a second time, Hopper will end up back on.

This issue has never been fixed on the original hopper despite me making several calls to Dish technical support. Can someone confirm the discrete off code still acts as a power toggle on the hopper w/sling? It's amazing this problem has now been going on for over two and a half years. It's indicative of just how far the quality of Dish technical support, and Dish DVR's, have fallen over the last few years.

It's amazing this problem has now been going on for over two and a half years. It's indicative of just how far the quality of Dish technical support, and Dish DVR's, have fallen over the last few years.
Not necessarily - it's indicative of "priority".

Since ON still works and OFF is now a toggle, a workaround for a true OFF would simply be ON then OFF, possibly with a small delay in between. I've used a similar trick with Samsung devices that lack discretes. If/when they fix OFF, simply remove ON from your macro. You may even be able to do something with CEC, but I've never tried that myself.

BTW these discretes have been around for a very long time. I used them on my 722's and earlier as well. Satellite users are lucky because not many cable boxes have discretes, nor are they addressable.

Yes, I know about using a discrete power off followed by the faulty discrete power off to essentially get a working discrete power off. Can anyone confirm this problem also exists on the Hopper w/sling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts