DiseqC decoder with Bluetooth out to a tablet/phone - any interest?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N0QBH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Central MN
The title says it all. A few years ago I wrote the code for a PIC based DiseqC decoder that displays to a LCD.
Lately I've been using these Bluetooth modules for a ham application, but was thinking today that it might be a good fit for the DiseqC decoder.
Presently, the decoder only outputs the DiseqC commands in ASCII hex. An interpreter was a "round to it" kind of upgrade that never came into being, mostly because large amounts of text are not easy to manage in an 8 bit embedded device.
However, a competent codesmith in the Android app world could likely use the huge amount of horsepower (comparatively:) in the Android device to do it with ease and make it look pretty too!
Here's a couple of pictures of the breadboard prototype and assembled circuit of my original design.

diseqc2x16serials.jpg

Diseqc_decoder_420_s.jpg

Instead of a RS232 serial output, it would have a serial Bluetooth output that you could view with a terminal app on your tablet or smart phone.
Obviously, by losing the display, the device with shrink considerably from this picture.
Anyway, for the groups perusal.
Mike N0QBH

Reactions: T134
Mike, Have you done any tinkering or programming with an Arduino or any of the Atmel Chips?

Bluetooth output and having Android or PC do the heavy lifting is an increasingly common solution. It makes things much cheaper than building a dedicated stand alone device and in many cases can make something really complicated very easy for the layman. I'd say for sure go for it do a dongle with a droid app.

My only question, no offense, is what the heck would I really need this for? If it showed me tone and voltage levels yes but if all it does is show me diseqc commands it is cool but not really functional. If I need to see if a command is being sent and works I just put a diseqc switch in there and look at the target port with a $3 squawker meter or DMM. For 1.2, same thing. Hook up a good motor, have the suspect device send it somewhere known. Point is a guy can figure out "if it works" for free.

Now something that showed the commands sent and levels could be very helpful, much like a scope. I just don't see the need (personally) to see the commands sent/received unless there is more data involved.

Mike, Have you done any tinkering or programming with an Arduino or any of the Atmel Chips?
Not really. I've been PIC since the git go. I've glanced the others over and noted the similarities at least from a assembly language programmers perspective.
I'm sure this program would port over fine in translated assembly.

Bluetooth output and having Android or PC do the heavy lifting is an increasingly common solution. It makes things much cheaper than building a dedicated stand alone device and in many cases can make something really complicated very easy for the layman. I'd say for sure go for it do a dongle with a droid app.

My only question, no offense, is what the heck would I really need this for? If it showed me tone and voltage levels yes but if all it does is show me diseqc commands it is cool but not really functional. If I need to see if a command is being sent and works I just put a diseqc switch in there and look at the target port with a $3 squawker meter or DMM. For 1.2, same thing. Hook up a good motor, have the suspect device send it somewhere known. Point is a guy can figure out "if it works" for free.

Now something that showed the commands sent and levels could be very helpful, much like a scope. I just don't see the need (personally) to see the commands sent/received unless there is more data involved.
That's why I ask before I go to work :)
Some of us (like me) think everything I think of is cool and need to ask.
However, since I've already done the heavy lifting it might get done the next snowstorm

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)