Dish 1000.2 use in East - RV Travel this winter

DelArmy

Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
South Dakota
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and this is my first post. I live in South Dakota and travel in the winter taking my 1000.2 dish and ViP612 receiver with. This winter we're going to the east coast. Reading some of the posts here it sounds like I might need a different dish and lnb to receive tv on the east coast. Is this true? (we currently use 110, 119 and 129 sats) Right now we have the HD Bronze package with locals and our receiver is less than 2 months old. As we move from location to location we call Dish and have them change our locals to where we happen to be camping. Should I pick up the Dish 1000.4 w/lnb for the east? Thanks in advance for your support.

You will probably be OK with the 1000.2. I use one when camping here on the east coast. The 129 satellite is low in the sky and you can have line of sight issues, but it usually isn't a problem. If you go as far north as Maine you might loose 129, but you should still get 110 and 119. Worst case, you might have to live without HD in some areas.

I use 129 for internet and it's only about 11 degrees above the horizon here. Doesn't take too much precipitation to put it out. 119/110 are good almost all the time.

If I travel 30 miles east, I'm in Canada.

GL, eric

We winter in south texas and have a dish 500 now. We installed a dish 1002 and a vip722 with hd in wisconsin this summer. Last year in tx a friend of mine had hd and they had to put another dish 500 for the hd. Does anyone know if a 1002 will work in tx? we live by harlington tx.

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and this is my first post. I live in South Dakota and travel in the winter taking my 1000.2 dish and ViP612 receiver with. This winter we're going to the east coast. Reading some of the posts here it sounds like I might need a different dish and lnb to receive tv on the east coast. Is this true? (we currently use 110, 119 and 129 sats) Right now we have the HD Bronze package with locals and our receiver is less than 2 months old. As we move from location to location we call Dish and have them change our locals to where we happen to be camping. Should I pick up the Dish 1000.4 w/lnb for the east? Thanks in advance for your support.

The 129 is not visible north of Wash DC including the northeast US. Except the Erie ,PA area, all of PA,DE, NJ, NY, and All New England states.
Southern half of FL is also exluded as well as South Texas.
If you are not concerned with HD, the 1000.2 dish will work fine in these areas.
Use this link.. http://www.dishuser.org/satmaps.php
Scroll down to the 129 sat map. Note the color shaded atreas. These are areas where 129 is "not recommended" or "not visible"

dishcomm, if you read the paragraph above that 129 coverage map, you will note it does not apply to the current Ciel II and remains on the page for its historical value.

dishcomm, if you read the paragraph above that 129 coverage map, you will note it does not apply to the current Ciel II and remains on the page for its historical value.

Ok..But the elevation of the 129 slot is so low in the sky at the higher latitudes there is little chance of an LOS.
For example I used the zip code from my home town in NJ. Ciel II is just 17.9 deg EL.....Now I can tell you that from my old house threre is a hill across the street that had about a 75 ft vertical rise in about 150 linear feet. That hill would block 129.
For zip 12804 the 129 slot is just 16 deg above the horizon.
For areas of Maine the sat is so low that if one's next dor neighbor forgets to cut their grass, they will lose LOS. Ok Just kidding.

Forget 129 in the NE. Use 61.5 or do without. Not worth the aggravation and frequent failure you will experience.

Okay! Great answers. Let me add one more question. If I were to get a Dish 1000.4, would I have to do anything with my ViP612 receiver or would all stations come through seamlessly? i.e. would my receiver recognize the new sats and would I get all my normal channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)