Dish 1000.2 WA aligned, I think.....

Capt Odyssea

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Florida
Used one of my 311 receivers to find 119, switched to 110 on screen signal strength, peaked both 119 and 110
back and forth for 70+ on 119, 65+ on 110, both transponder 21.
My question is, after doing check switch the 311 receiver found 3 birds, but on the signal strength screen 129 selected gives nothing. 110 and 119 selected give the above. Can the 311 not Identify 129 being HD or for some other reason?
Bear in mind a meter is not being used. I'll probably order one at some point. Figured I'd try without.
Still running all 3 311's from the Dish 500 for now, and the vip211k plugged into the 1000.2 did all its software update but will not go past or clear the call 1-800 screen preventing using it's signal strength screen.
No stress, just playing with it, but am curious about the 311 handling 129, the HD bird.

Where are you getting your settings from? The receiver, the manual or DishPointer.com?

Dish pointer for the initial skew etc,
my question is how will the 311 receiver treat the 129 bird? Check switch show it, but the on screen signal meter does not, at least on transponder 21.
Might be another transponder should be used for SD on that bird?
The 311 receiver works fine on the 1000.2 dish btw, and the vip211k did its update and software stuff.

The 311 being an mpeg2 receiver won't read any signal from the 129 sat. Like you said it does recognize it in the check switch screen. It won't hurt anything with it hooked to the 1k2, 129 is null and void regarding the 311.

You could probably get those 311's switched out to 211's easier than you think.

If I'm not mistaken you can press the # twice and access the signal screen from the 211 without it being activated.

Reactions: JSheridan
I'll have to try that stardust, thanks much.
The point to the exercise is to kill one 311 and replace with a Vip211k, but the other two 311's serve a non HD projector, and a Non Hd set of eyes! (80 Yo mom)
That plus the old dish 500 is rusting out so figured I'd update a bit.

Last edited:
press and hold the * button gets you to the dish pointing screen, not ##, on the VIP 211k. Thanks for the hint tho stardust !
on transponder 21 i've got 74 on 110, 87 on 119, 74 on 129. are there any other transponders I should check?
do those signal strengths look good?

I'll switch the 3 x 311 receivers over to the 1000.2 for now, tidy up cabling, and swap the living room for the 211k in a few days once all seems stable.
Probably run a new cable to the HD location.

Reactions: stardust3
Signal looks great!

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the * instead of #.

Seems there is no signal on the lower #'s transponders on 129, which may be quite normal.
In any case 19 and up into the 20's are good, odd and even, although that may not matter like it used to?
That was a straight forward exercise! Thanks for the assist,

The 311 being an mpeg2 receiver won't read any signal from the 129 sat. Like you said it does recognize it in the check switch screen. It won't hurt anything with it hooked to the 1k2, 129 is null and void regarding the 311.
There are still MPEG2 SD locals on 129, which is probably why the check switch recognized 129. The OP would have to check whatever transponder is being used for a spotbeam that covers his area to check signal strength for 129 on a 311. There is also a "What's on Dish?" slate channel on 129 in MPEG2 SD in the 9500 channel range, so whatever transponder that channel is on could also be used to check signal strength on a 311.

Reactions: stardust3
There are still MPEG2 SD locals on 129, which is probably why the check switch recognized 129. The OP would have to check whatever transponder is being used for a spotbeam that covers his area to check signal strength for 129 on a 311. There is also a "What's on Dish?" slate channel on 129 in MPEG2 SD in the 9500 channel range, so whatever transponder that channel is on could also be used to check signal strength on a 311.

Thanks, I've slept a lot since I messed with any receiver pre VIP.

Hey crodrules, can you give me a couple specific SD channel numbers on 129 that aught to be viewable on a 311?
I've got one receiver running on the 1000.2, logical to want to see it select a channel. Check switch has all 3 birds recognized.

4563 keyed in goes to 5000, NBA ch from who knows where.
Anyway, all 3 311's are running on the 1000.2 and check switches show all 3 birds.
Thanks for all the input guys,

Don't know if I should start a new thread for this, Maybe someone can advise me on that, so I'll ask here:
What would cause a multi switch error when selecting channels? (surfing) receivers on the new dish all day fine,
didn't happen until last night, but showed itself on 2 of 3 311 receivers. canceling or selecting ok did clear it but kept popping up until I changed to another channel.
Today it is fine again, surfing and all. Something to do with running check switch to establish 129 in addition to 110,119 even though the 311 has no use for 129?
All connectors were changed on all coax feeds, both ends. strange.

Something to try. Block the 129 lnb, cut an aluminum can in half or something similar to cover it. Run a check switch on the 311's. Unblock the 129 and see if the problem persists.