Dish 1000.2

baxdoc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
NW Washington
I have an older legacy 500 dish with a DVR-510 receiver, picking up 110 and 119. What would it take for me to switch out the dish for the 1000.2? I am just getting ready for the new bird at the end of the year (129) and want to mount the new dish myself. Installers in my area (Pacific NW) are sticking the dishes right to the roof and I want to use a retrodeck for a cleaner install and ability to change out if necessary. Would I have to change switches or just swap out and re-aim? I won't subscribe for HD until the new 129 is up and functioning and I would just as soon have only one dish and not two. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.:cool:

I have an older legacy 500 dish with a DVR-510 receiver, picking up 110 and 119. What would it take for me to switch out the dish for the 1000.2? I am just getting ready for the new bird at the end of the year (129) and want to mount the new dish myself. Installers in my area (Pacific NW) are sticking the dishes right to the roof and I want to use a retrodeck for a cleaner install and ability to change out if necessary. Would I have to change switches or just swap out and re-aim? I won't subscribe for HD until the new 129 is up and functioning and I would just as soon have only one dish and not two. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.:cool:

Make sure you have line of sight to the 129 from your intended location. If that location is different from your current location, also check 119/110. You can check these pretty easy using DishPointer.com - Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps and using their tools. When it comes to pointing, put your receiver on 119 transponder 11 and cover the two outside "eyes" of your dish and point the middle one to 119 until you get a good signal lock. Then do your check switch after removing the foil. Now put yourself on 129 transponder 31 and max that out. Tiny movements on the dish, you'll be surprised how much a centimeter of movement affects signal.

Thanks for the reply vegassatellite, but I'm not concerned with aiming the 1000.2 at this point. I'm curious as to wether my receiver will work with the new dish and if I need to change switches. Can I just swap the old 500 legacy for the new 1000.2, aim and be good to go?

510 will recognize the 129, but not all of the signal there. I don't think there's anything on 129 that your receiver will need. You just have to replace the dish and remove any external switches.

So, if I understand correctly, just run the coax from the 1000.2 direct to the 510 without any switches at all.

You would be best to keep the 500 but change the LNB to a DPP and add a second wing 24" (bigger the dish the better) dish dedicated to the 129 there in the NW. 129 is weak up there. take the output from the wing dish and plug it into the input on the DPP LNB

Thats what I would do if I lived there.

wardconnor, I'm not even going to bother with the 129 sat until the first of the year when they put a new bird up. I only want to have one dish, not two, and my understanding is the new sat will have a better and stronger signal that the 1000.2 should have no problem with. Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to transition to the 1000.2 and have everything setup so that all I will need is a new receiver and maybe a switch to run a second TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts