dish 1000.4 vs 1000.2??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Voyager6 Be sure to check back and let us know how your home brew super dish works out. Let us know your different signal readings are on the dish M611 screen.

Frank and anyone else having signal strength issues with the 1k.4. I have been working now with my single 61.5 30" dish plugged into the LNB input of the 1k.4 and using an aluminum shield over it's own 61.5 LNB and the signals are in some cases 4 times as good. I get no rain fade now and can now optimize the 1k.4 for it's two central ( 72 and 77 LNB's ) ignoring the 61.5 and this helps with those signals as well.

While it requires a second dish, I highly recommend using the 30"ers as opposed to any other suggestion. When we get our usual heavy Florida rain this summer and I get rain fade on 72 but not 61.5, I plan to do 3- 30" dishes and a DPP44. ( scrap the 1k.4) But my antenna farm is already equipped with three Dish size masts which makes half the job done. :)

Question- Does anyone here know if the 1000 dishes with 3 LNB's actually use the entire surface of the dish reflector for each of the LNB's?
My understanding is they do not and the actual cone of reception is using some fraction of the dish'es surface, thus the big reflector isn't as efficient as you might believe. On the single LNB's as well as the Dish 500 the geometry is symmetric so each LNB uses the entire reflective surface. I did not get this from Echostar, but rather it was from an engineer with Channel Master. He was addressing the geometry of triple LNB dishes with off center mountings as compared to dishes with symmetric mountings.

.... I've been using the 1000.5 setup since last summer, and haven't had rain fade issues yet, the true test will be with the spring storms coming. I've lost signal twice with heavy wet snow on the dish, but that was a quick fix by wiping it off.

Thank you. What is the size of the reflector on the 1000.5 (inches)? I think the 1000.4 is 22x28. I'm concerned over losing my 110/119 dish with the move to EA, since during our recent snow I kept losing signal, sometimes for hours at a time, on my 61.5 dish. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to part with a few bucks to an installer to go with 1000.5. Or just count on dish heaters (& maybe heater cord for LNB) on the 1000.4. Dishes are not accessible during bad weather.

I wish I could get away with three 30 inchers, but.......WAF......neighbors......... :(

Question- Does anyone here know if the 1000 dishes with 3 LNB's actually use the entire surface of the dish reflector for each of the LNB's?
My understanding is they do not and the actual cone of reception is using some fraction of the dish'es surface, thus the big reflector isn't as efficient as you might believe. On the single LNB's as well as the Dish 500 the geometry is symmetric so each LNB uses the entire reflective surface.
As the LNB is off-axis on the dish, the effective area is reduced by a cosine factor, even on a dual LNB 500--symmetric or not. Think of it as not as wide but still as tall.

The central LNB is on-axis so it gets the full dish even though 119W is still relatively weaker, for me. As I have the original 1000 (not 1000.2)--too small, I probably should give it another pass to improve 119W, and 129W.
-Ken

kklare- My logic was even simpler. Ever notice the perpendicular axis of the throats of the 3 LNB's are parallel to each other? They should be at an angle to optimize the geometry for better reflector surface area. Could have been the mfg complexities outweighed the benefits, though.

Good grief, this thread is becoming a book. Not that that is a bad thing. I always enjoy reading and learning more about how all this satellite tech stuff works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts