dish 1000.4 vs 1000.2??

I think the .4 has a longer arm for the LNB for a different focal length then the .2.

Only 61.5 and 72. Yes,the 1000.2 dish and DPP lnb works fine for 2 of the 3 EA birds. That's how I am receiving HD and local programming. Just tune the center lnb to 61.5 and the outer lnb will find 72. Be sure to set the skew to eastern arc settings and proper azimuth and elevation settings. You will have no 77 programming, but unless your locals are on that bird, you are missing very little, just cspan, nasa and a lot of mono music channels.
Signal strengths are good on both sats: high 40s to high 60s, even a few 70s on some transponders. And because you are just tweaking to catch 2 birds, setup is a lot easier than tuning 1000.4. Good luck :D

Last edited:
winman like the avatar
Im gonna have to try it, I have a better shot at ea than western arc, my 129 works now but i dont know for how much longer , neighbor has lots of trees near 129 and 129 is weak here any small rain 129 drops out while 110 and 119 are still strong, I do have a wing dish at 61.5 now just thought i might move everything over to ea. All my receivers are mpeg 4 so i am good there as well.

1000.4 vs 1000.5

I have read posts that indicate that the 1000.5 has a bigger reflector, thus greater signal capture. Down here in the not so sunny all the time south I get numerous heavy rains in the spring and summer that cause loss of signal. I would like to know the mounting specs on this mystery dish. The 1000.4 is adequate for the job but a larger dish would be preferred. Anyone know where I can get the specs on this dish?

I have read posts that indicate that the 1000.5 has a bigger reflector, thus greater signal capture. Down here in the not so sunny all the time south I get numerous heavy rains in the spring and summer that cause loss of signal. I would like to know the mounting specs on this mystery dish. The 1000.4 is adequate for the job but a larger dish would be preferred. Anyone know where I can get the specs on this dish?
A 1000.5 dish is a 1000.4 with a plus dish reflector and backing structure.

A 1000.5 dish is a 1000.4 with a plus dish reflector and backing structure.
Thanks for the reply but can I get just the reflector and mount? Does the mount fit the same diameter pole? Do I have to go through tech support to get it? Will they let me install it or do I have to have it installed for me? How much more signal capture can I expect? I can install a new dish myself. I want to know if it would be worth my time and effort.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but can I get just the reflector and mount? Does the mount fit the same diameter pole? Do I have to go through tech support to get it? Will they let me install it or do I have to have it installed for me? How much more signal capture can I expect? I can install a new dish myself. I want to know if it would be worth my time and effort.
It will fit the same 1 5/8" mast. you can probably get one at a local retailer(to find one go DISH Network - Find Your Local Retailer - 1.888.825.2557 ). As for if it is worth it? It generally adds 6-8 points but it is up to you to decide if it is worth it.

dont think this would work for you. but a superdish can be modified to either a 1k2 or 1k4.
I am going to attempt to use my SD105 for EA. I bought a 1000.4 LNB and LNB bracket off ebay. Now I need to know the length of the 1000.4 arm. Anyone have this info? I have been searching for the 1000.4 dish specs but have had no luck. Most sites only have the reflector size.

Voyager6- I'm betting you are headed for a really rough time to save a couple bucks. The EA setup is not easy with the proper equipment and the signals are lower than what we got with a single or Dish 500 system on each of the EA sats. So, if you still want to try and really need that arm length I'll climb up and measure it for you. Unfortunately, unless the dish is the exact same shape as the 1000.4, it will have to be resized anyway. Considering the 1000.4 system is compromising anyway, you'll be even worse off with compromising the geometry of the dish and arm.

What I would do is get on ebay and order a lowball price 1000.4 complete assembly. That's what I did and only paid $42 for everything I needed. It was a bid price with a minimum of $40. I think I was the only bidder.

Voyager6- I'm betting you are headed for a really rough time to save a couple bucks. The EA setup is not easy with the proper equipment and the signals are lower than what we got with a single or Dish 500 system on each of the EA sats. So, if you still want to try and really need that arm length I'll climb up and measure it for you. Unfortunately, unless the dish is the exact same shape as the 1000.4, it will have to be resized anyway. Considering the 1000.4 system is compromising anyway, you'll be even worse off with compromising the geometry of the dish and arm.

What I would do is get on ebay and order a lowball price 1000.4 complete assembly. That's what I did and only paid $42 for everything I needed. It was a bid price with a minimum of $40. I think I was the only bidder.
Currently I am using my SD105 with the 500+ lnb. The SD105 is the same size as the 500+ dish. The 1000.5 EA dish (which I am trying to create) is the 500+ reflector with the 1000.4 arm and lnb. I was requesting the 1000.4 arm length to compare it to the original SD105 arm length. I'm not asking anyone to climb on a roof to measure the arm but I do appreciate the offer. I was hoping that an installer or tech might have the info or could measure one for me. I will continue to search for a 1000.4 detailed spec sheet.

Currently I am using my SD105 with the 500+ lnb. The SD105 is the same size as the 500+ dish. The 1000.5 EA dish (which I am trying to create) is the 500+ reflector with the 1000.4 arm and lnb. I was requesting the 1000.4 arm length to compare it to the original SD105 arm length. I'm not asking anyone to climb on a roof to measure the arm but I do appreciate the offer. I was hoping that an installer or tech might have the info or could measure one for me. I will continue to search for a 1000.4 detailed spec sheet.

I wanted a 1000.5 too. Now, I feel like an idiot for throwing my 105 Superdish away... I hope it works for you.

I think I'll be okay with the vanilla 1000.4... I have beautiful LOS to both arcs.

I am going to switch to EA when they light up my HD locals. I was going to stay on my 'moved' locals and keep WA, but I am worried about what will happen when I need something shipped to me from Dish. I've already had one close call.

Please update back after this experiment. I would love to know what signal strength you end up with.

What you need is the focal length (the distance from the reflector to the LNB's "eyes") not the arm length. This because that is the signal is focused. If the "eyes" are too close or too far away it would be like wearing the wrong prescription glasses. On the super dish the focal length is 22". Also the distance between the "eyes" will be a factor, but you'll have to figure that out on you're own.

Last edited:
What you need is the focal length (the distance from the reflector to the LNB's "eyes") not the arm length. This because that is the signal is focused. If the "eyes" are too close or too far away it would be like wearing the wrong prescription glasses. On the super dish the focal length is 22". Also the distance between the "eyes" will be a factor, but you'll have to figure that out on you're own.
Thanks for the info. This will give me a starting point for the position of the 1000.4 lnb.

I think the 1000.4 arm length is 19" inches. I posted it on here some time ago in another thread, I can go find one and measure again if you'd like.

Edit: Yep, 19"

2nd Edit: I've been using the 1000.5 setup since last summer, and haven't had rain fade issues yet, the true test will be with the spring storms coming. I've lost signal twice with heavy wet snow on the dish, but that was a quick fix by wiping it off.

Last edited:
I think the 1000.4 arm length is 19" inches. I posted it on here some time ago in another thread, I can go find one and measure again if you'd like.

Edit: Yep, 19"

2nd Edit: I've been using the 1000.5 setup since last summer, and haven't had rain fade issues yet, the true test will be with the spring storms coming. I've lost signal twice with heavy wet snow on the dish, but that was a quick fix by wiping it off.
Thanks. This will be a big help in setting up my hybrid SD1000.5.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)