DISH 1000.4WA Pointing Problem

John3

Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Wisconsin
Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to dish installs and I've run into a signal problem.

I have a 1000.4 WA DISH and am trying to pick up sat 119, 110, 129. I have a VIP211K receiver and a DP44 switch installed. Not sure i absolutely needed the switch but as long as it isn't causing my signal issues i'm not to worried about it. I have the mounting post installed on my roof and it checks out with the level in both directions. I am pointing the dish using the values from the installation guide for my zip code 54952. it says it should be Skew 117, Elevation 30, Az 221. At these locations I can't get any reception on the receiver. When i was trying different settings i put the dish at a Skew 54, EL 31, Az 215-225 i was able to get sat 110 at a signal strength of about 50-58. The receiver says that all 3 lnb's are picking up sat 110. This is the only setting I've been able to get a signal. As soon as i start moving the skew closer to the target setting i lose all of the 110 signal.

I feel like I'm really close to getting it to work. Does anyone have any tips for trouble shooting this problem?

Any help would be very appreciated!

If you are only using one receiver or up to three there is no need for the switch.

for pointing I would remove it anyway.

run check switch on receiver with noting connected to it to clear matrix

hook up receiver to port 1 on lnb

when on point dish screen set to sat 119 and transponder 11, and scan for signal. make small adjustments and wait at least 20 seconds between adjustments as the vip receivers are slow to respond to a signal.

make sure mast is plumb and there is not blocking you line of sight to the satellites....

getting 110 on all 3 locations suggests a lnb to switch issue....
GL

Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to dish installs and I've run into a signal problem.

I have a 1000.4 WA DISH and am trying to pick up sat 119, 110, 129. I have a VIP211K receiver and a DP44 switch installed. Not sure i absolutely needed the switch but as long as it isn't causing my signal issues i'm not to worried about it. I have the mounting post installed on my roof and it checks out with the level in both directions. I am pointing the dish using the values from the installation guide for my zip code 54952. it says it should be Skew 117, Elevation 30, Az 221. At these locations I can't get any reception on the receiver. When i was trying different settings i put the dish at a Skew 54, EL 31, Az 215-225 i was able to get sat 110 at a signal strength of about 50-58. The receiver says that all 3 lnb's are picking up sat 110. This is the only setting I've been able to get a signal. As soon as i start moving the skew closer to the target setting i lose all of the 110 signal.

I feel like I'm really close to getting it to work. Does anyone have any tips for trouble shooting this problem?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Is the meter green or red stating Wrong Sat? I would make sure the mast is level then tighten it so it will not move, leave the other nuts loose enough to adjust the dish but there should be some resistance, remove the switch and the connection to receiver and run check switch (it seems you may have run it when you found 110 and the receiver is only looking for that one sat instead of the other two), once done reconnect line to the receiver, make sure the dish's place foil over the two outside lnb's and use only that one to find 119 (my preference), once you have that one to a decent signal stength (you do not need to make it as high as you can get but somewhere in at least the 50's), remove the foil from the outside lnb's and see if 110 and 129 are showing. If they are not, use only small adjustments to get them in, once you have all three you can tighten the dish while fine tuning the signals strength to a little higher level. Then you can run your check switch again as you should be done.

Thanks for the tips I will give them a try. I definitely wasn't waiting 20 secs between location changes when i was adjusting the dish & haven't cleared out the receiver either. If all else fails i will get a pro with a sat buddy to help me out.

Older receivers were much more friendly to point your dish with. you can do it with a VIP, you just need to give it a little time because for some unknown reason they are slow to respond to the signal.

Be patient, and you will find a signal, provided there are no obstructions.....

GOOD LUCK!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)