Dish 1000 coax run question

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Quick question, would I need 2 coax runs from a Dish 1000 to a VIP 622 (dual tuner)? THe only thing I could find is 1 coax run. How is the 2nd tuner feed? THANKS!

The DP Dual looks at the 129 satellite and the DPP Twin looks at the 119 & 110 satellite. A little jumper line needs to run from the DP Dual to the additional port on the DPP Twin. That way all 3 sat locations will be running through the switch that is already in the DPP Twin. Then you can run 1 line from the DPP Twin to the 622 and separate at the receiver into 2 lines.

If the Dish 1000 has a DPP Twin installed, you would need only 1 coax running to the 622, and split the coax at the box with a Dish Pro separator. As far as I know, all new Dish 1000s come with the DPP Twin, but I've read where an installer replaces the DPP Twin with a DP Twin when needing to connect to 4 satellites or more than 2 boxes.

Yes - The DP Dual feeds into the LNB input on the DPP Twin. You only need 1 coax run to the 622 from the Twin then use the separator that comes with the 622 to feed both tuner inputs. You will have one addional output on the Twin to run to a future single- or dual-tuner receiver.

That said, you mentioned "possible upgrade". With only 1 coax you're not leaving yourself many options. I'd run 3 coaxes from where the dish(es) are located to your central distribution area, another one if you plan to have an OTA antenna, then at least 3 from there to where the 622 is located, one for the sat. feeds, one for the OTA antenna, and one for a backfeed to your distribution system. That will give you great flexibility for future upgrades. You always have the option to make one coax do the work of three with diplexers and combiner/splitters, but they add to the complexity and do detract somewhat from the overall performance. It's better to use separate coaxes for the different functions.

It's only slightly more hassle to pull three coaxes vs. one if you do it at the same time. You only have the added cost of the coax which is fairly minimal. To pull more cables later essentially doubles or triples your efforts. Make sure you use coax rated to at least 2300MHz for the sat. runs. The OTA run and backfeed only need to be good to 1000MHz, but for those I'd use quad shield cable (others will disagree on that!) to reduce any possibility of interference/multipath affecting your signals.

Good luck with your installation!

A followup question.. I am also about to have a DISH 1000 installed. I already have two lines pulled to my entertainment center and don't want to pull anymore. Can I diplex the output from the DPP Twin with my OTA reciever? If so, would it matter whether I pulled the OTA signal out before or after the Dish separator? I want to use the other pulled coax to distribute output to another room.

Yes you can diplex sat. and OTA signals after the twin and yes it matters where you pull the signal back out; it will need to be before the coax enters the separator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)