Dish 1000 / DVR upgrade question

PNotar

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 2, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Hello all!

We presently have an 811 and an old 3900 in our home. Our plan is to replace the 3900 with a two tuner DVR, but running a second cable is not feasible. Outside, we have a legacy Dish 500 Twin, a 300 dual output pointing at 61.5 for certain Philadelphia "must carry stations", and a pair of SW-21 switches.

I'm thinking that to make a two tuner DVR work here, I'll need a DishPro Plus separator, which means getting a DPP-44 switch, and therefore an upgrade to our dishes. That being said.....

1) As I understand it, Philadelphia PA will not have a good LOS to 129, so I should not bother looking at a Dish 1000. Sound right?

2) Do I need to swap out both the 110/119 and 61.5 LNBFs at the same time?

3) Fees not withstanding, is the 721 receiver a safe purchase?

Thanks in advance!
P.

I would swap out the LNB's on the dishes you have now. I would go with a DP+ Twin and a DP Dual. Then all you need to do is run a lead from the 61.5 dish into the 500. The DP+ Twin has an input for a wing dish, so all you need is the two cables you have run now.

This setup will work with the rececivers you have now. After that when you decide to replace your 3900 with a dual tuner, all you have to do is insert the DP seperator. This is much cheaper than adding a DPP44, unless you are planning to add more receivers later. Also with a DPP44 you would need 3 lines from the dish to the switch.

Dave nye said:
This setup will work with the rececivers you have now. After that when you decide to replace your 3900 with a dual tuner, all you have to do is insert the DP seperator. This is much cheaper than adding a DPP44, unless you are planning to add more receivers later. Also with a DPP44 you would need 3 lines from the dish to the switch.

I didn't think there was such a thing as a DP Seperator. I thought they were only sold as DPP, and based on the product info on dishstore.net , a DPP44 was required.

easiest thing is a DPP Twin and a DP dual. Hook the DP dula into the DPP Twin. This will give you all 3 satellites to run to 2 receivers. You can use the separator at a future time.

The Twin needs to be a DishProPlus. Or you culd use a DPP44 :)

Iceberg said:
easiest thing is a DPP Twin and a DP dual. Hook the DP dula into the DPP Twin. This will give you all 3 satellites to run to 2 receivers. You can use the separator at a future time.

The Twin needs to be a DishProPlus. Or you culd use a DPP44 :)
Two cables into 3 tuners (811 & 2-tuner DVR) doesn't add up to me. I think he does need the separator AND the DPP Twin.

I didn't think there was such a thing as a DP Seperator.
Correct - but it's just a typo. He meant a DPPlus Separator.

I guess Claude needs to update some of his web pages - the DPPSep WILL work with a DPP-Twin or a DPP44 switch. The choice there is just whether you need the DPP44, or if three birds to two receivers is enough.

Sorry guys early morning typing fast before leaving to do install. Not that I am the best typer in the world anyway.

But yes I meant a DPPlus Separator with a DPP Twin. The DPP44 would only be needed if you wanted more than 3 birds or more receivers than what was asked about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts