Dish 1000 in Southern In

trido

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
Southern indiana
Got word today thta by Jan 1st my area will use the dish 1000.

QUESTION we now use the super dish on 110.119.105

Isnt the dish 1000 ONLY for 110.119.129?

If so does this indicate a local change.

Does any area use 129 and 105?

trido

Rumor has it for most areas the 105, 121, 61.5 and 148 are going to be phased out. almost all programming will be coming off of 119, 110 and 129. it should take till mid to late next year for everyone to be switched over.

BrettTRay said:
why would they want to phase out the 105, 121, 148, and 61.5? That doesn't make much sense.

for 61.5, and 148 one work FCC!!!!!! That is mandated by the fcc that the locals on those wings slots go to one dish if there are locals in that market on 110/119 or the locals that are on 110/119 must move to 148 or 61.5.... so that there avable on one dish.. (dish can get away with locals being on 110/119/129 becase there is a single dish that can handle all three birds)

As far as 105/121 there is a good reason A. smaller dish. B beter signal quality sence the 105 and 121 are fss witch is a lowerpowered sat and becasue of that a bigger dish is required and it picks up less signal.. Dish wants to go to one dish that gets pritty much everything.. across the board... it will probley save the other slots for international and hdtv...

BrettTRay said:
why would they want to phase out the 105, 121, 148, and 61.5? That doesn't make much sense.

So everyone can have all of their SD locals and core programing with just one normal size dish, intstead of two or the over sized Super Dish'es. Good chance 61.5 and 148 will replace SD locals with HD ones too, this way, only people who want HD locals via satellite, Voom HD(only in areas that can not receive 129), International channels, or Sky Angel will need 2nd and/or oversized dish.

goaliebob99 said:
for 61.5, and 148 one word FCC!!!!!! That is mandated by the fcc that the locals on those wings slots go to one dish if there are locals in that market on 110/119 or the locals that are on 110/119 must move to 148 or 61.5.... so that there available on one dish.. (dish can get away with locals being on 110/119/129 becase there is a single dish that can handle all three birds)

As far as 105/121 there is a good reason A. smaller dish. B better signal quality since the 105 and 121 are fss which is a lowerpowered sat and because of that a bigger dish is required and it picks up less signal.. Dish wants to go to one dish that gets pretty much everything.. across the board... it will probably save the other slots for international and hdtv...

Good - give us high bitrate HDTV MPEG2 of more channels on the Wing Birds for those of use that would rather have that than MPEG4. Why do I know that won't happen :(

Spelling correct in the quotes to protect the sanity of GolieBob99's 2nd grade spelling teacher. :eek:

These rumors get out of hand. In fact, some split markets are moving the OTHER way - totally onto a wing. All of this shuffling is part of the big plan (details unknown - probably even to E* people).

The only slot I see being totally dropped is 105 - even with the new bird, it just ain't great. I also see locals totally leaving 121, which will become I'nat'l only. I can also see old StupiDishes being recycled into single bird units for those that want 121.

So are we thinking that all people with 105 SD here in illinois, indiana and elsewhere will have to be upgraded to dish 1000 within some certain timeframe? What a pain! I'm thinking of all those people I had to tell "Sir, I know your dish 500 works fine here, but this superdish won't, I'm going to have to put it over HERE, and reroute all your cables." Then, someone needs to go back and say, "Well sir, I know your superdish works fine here, but I'm going to have to install this new dish over HERE, and reroute all your cables..." I honestly don't have any trouble with my superdish. 105 signal is mid to upper 60's. If I loose my locals on 105 due to inclement weather then I most likely don't have 119 either. So time to watch some Beavis and Butthead on the DVR!

Oh yeah, and if you think installing a superdish and making it last so it doesn't have to be repeaked every 6 months is a pain, imagine the new directv 5 LNB dish. It looks at 2 FSS birds. There's even LESS room for error!

Understanding the DirecTV 5 slot dish

Hello all,

DirecTV and DISH are both prepping for the upcoming HD local launch.

Here's info on DirecTV's 5 head dish;

It's similar in size to the DISH 1000, don't have exacts.
It's a rounded off-set parabolic rectangle shape.

Looks at 5 orbital slots,
3 DSS (101,110,119)
2 Ka band 18-20 GHz (99,103) circular polarized, like DSS

99,101,103 will be combined (wideband 250-2000/pol
110,119 will be combined (as always) 500 MHz/pol

NO FSS (this is good)

Alignment is MORE CUMBERSOME (I'm trying to be nice in my description)

-----------------------------

Here's the GOOD and BAD

GOOD
Lot's of capacity so adding HD locals and programming will be possible

Smaller than a Superdish, less impacting

BAD
Pain to set-up (Ka is a very narrow beam) must be VERY stabile mount!

No solution yet for commercial installs using larger reflector
(this affects us, as we use only larger than residential reflectors)

Bandwidth goes lower than 950, this is a problem if you are diplexing anything on the wire such as cable, off-air or CCTV on freq's above 250 MHz

Say goodbye to your installed multiswitches, you need wideband replacements if you're looking at 99 or 103

Hope this helps!

BTW, DirecTV will have ALL the BW in the band for 99, 103 Ka and 101 DSS, and pieces of BW at 110 and 119... which gives them a LOT of BW... this gives them a bit of an edge over DISH for HD locals launch. Also the migration to MPEG-4 compression will allow them more net deliverable BW with the new dish.

Let the Games Begin! (or continue as it may be!)

Good Luck!
MDU Guy

mdu guy said:
Hello all,

DirecTV and DISH are both prepping for the upcoming HD local launch.

Here's info on DirecTV's 5 head dish;

It's similar in size to the DISH 1000, don't have exacts.
It's a rounded off-set parabolic rectangle shape.

Looks at 5 orbital slots,
3 DSS (101,110,119)
2 Ka band 18-20 GHz (99,103) circular polarized, like DSS

99,101,103 will be combined (wideband 250-2000/pol
110,119 will be combined (as always) 500 MHz/pol

NO FSS (this is good)

Alignment is MORE CUMBERSOME (I'm trying to be nice in my description)

-----------------------------

Here's the GOOD and BAD

GOOD
Lot's of capacity so adding HD locals and programming will be possible

Smaller than a Superdish, less impacting

BAD
Pain to set-up (Ka is a very narrow beam) must be VERY stabile mount!

No solution yet for commercial installs using larger reflector
(this affects us, as we use only larger than residential reflectors)

Bandwidth goes lower than 950, this is a problem if you are diplexing anything on the wire such as cable, off-air or CCTV on freq's above 250 MHz

Say goodbye to your installed multiswitches, you need wideband replacements if you're looking at 99 or 103

Hope this helps!

BTW, DirecTV will have ALL the BW in the band for 99, 103 Ka and 101 DSS, and pieces of BW at 110 and 119... which gives them a LOT of BW... this gives them a bit of an edge over DISH for HD locals launch. Also the migration to MPEG-4 compression will allow them more net deliverable BW with the new dish.

Let the Games Begin! (or continue as it may be!)

Good Luck!
MDU Guy

I had read over on the DirecTV forum that the new 5 LNB dish was 29.5" wide by about 24 - 25" high which makes it about the size of a Superdish and much bigger than a D1000. A D1000 is only a few inches bigger than a D500 which is only 20" wide. It requires a 2" diameter pole for mounting which makes me believe that it has greater surface area than a Superdish generating greater wind loading and its LNBs probably make it heavier than a Superdish. By the way I believe Ka band is also considered FSS.

In regards to bandwidth, if Dish decides to use the 130 spotbeam TPs on Rainbow-1, the bandwidth edge probably swings the other way. From a marketing standpoint it will come down to whether folks prefer the single large DirecTV 5 LNB dish or a D500 and a D300 two dish solution to receive their HD locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts