DISH 1000 Install Problem - HELP please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
The DISH (not independent) installer came to install my new 1000 dish today. All went well until he tried the check switch on my 942 and 721. The dish could not see 110, AT ALL. Here's my previous, attempted, and current setup.

Previous -
Dish 500 - 110/119
Dish 500 - 148
2 DP34 switches
Dishplayer w/Dishpro Adapter

Attempted -
Dish 1000 - 110/119/129
Dish 500 - 148
2 DPP 44 switches w/2 powered amps
942 w/ DPP adapter
721 w/ DPP adapter
Dishplayer

Current -
Dish 500 - 110/119
Dish 500 - 148
2 DPP 44 switches w/2 powered amps
942 w/ DPP adapter
721 w/ DPP adapter
Dishplayer w/Dishpro Adapter

I realize the 2 switches are overkill for 3 receivers, but I have the rest of my house wired for future upgrades. Anyway, the guy (and 1 other who showed up after 3 hours) was here for 5 hours and could not get the damn thing to see 110. He tried changing ports on the switch, replaced all the LNB's (twice), changed the cable from the 110 LNB to the switch, tried the switches individually, tried repointing the dish, etc. It still gave X's and N.C. for the 110 satellite. Tried both the 942 and the 721, to no avail.

It got dark and they gave up, took the 1000 and reset up my 500 and left the DPP switches, and it went back to my previous setup on all three receivers.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going wrong. :eek:

I was with him the whole time, and suggested things to try, which he did, but still no results. We could see the VOOM channels, the whole reason for the 1000, so all was well but the DAMN 110 satellite.

I live in Colorado Springs, and he said that this was all new and that they had not installed many 1000's and none that he could remember with a side dish. He thought that was the whole problem, but I told him NO, the SatGuys forum has people who have done this themselves and it worked!!
They also suggested that the switch has only 3 ports for DBS, and the 4th is for FSS(?), and maybe they are not meant for 4 satellites. They told me they had basically been given a manual for the 1000, and that was the extent of their training. These are DISH employees...so I shouldn't be surprised, but still...

ANYONE?????? Please help if you can. They are supposed to call me to set up another appointment to retry the install with a different dish. They finally blamed that!?

Thanks!!!!!
yaz96
Rob

my first question would of been, did you hook up the cable to the lnb to see 110, lol sry trying to make ya laugh at it, i've ben through some bad installs with dish. another thing, were they using DPP LNBs? or DP LNBs as there is a diff.

Claude Greiner said:
Sounds like he had the elevation too low and was looking at 119/129/139 !!!!!
Since 139 does not exist, you therefore get 2 satellites instead of 3.
Probably picking up 129 through the 119 LNB and 119 through the 110 LNB
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Well, considering I did the FIRST Dish 1000 in the Pikes Peak region (for another board member here), maybe I can help.

Trouble is, the DNSC guys hate to see someone like me show them up. However, I'll PM you my cell phone - turns out I'm going to be in Colo. Spgs. tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Update

Update- I printed out this thread and left it for the installers to read before they attempted to fix the problem.
Well, the DISH installers came out and fixed it. I was not home at the time, but I talked to the installer on the phone and he told me it was a bad cable.
I don't know if that was really it or not, but I did notice that they changed the Dual DP Plus LNB to 2 separate Twin DP LNB's.
They also left my 2 DPP44 switches just hanging from the wall and did not reconnect the cables up to the grounding block! Just pure sloppy laziness. I called and complained and they did come back and fix the switches but did not reconnect the cables (easy fix, but the principle...)
I am happy with my HD now and finally got a big enough antenna to get the Colorado Springs locals!

Thanks to Simon from Florissant for his offer of help, and the all the others with their ideas.

yaz96
Rob

A Dual sees just 1 satellite and has 2 outputs.
A Twin is about 6" wide, contains 2 LNBs and a switch, and has 2 outputs. The DP Plus Twin adds an input from a 3rd LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)