Dish 1000 install question

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I am getting ready for my vip 622 and Dish 1000 upgrade this coming saturday, and am going to have it set up on a pole in the ground. I have a few questions:

I plan on using a 2 or 2 1/4" pole, in cement. what is the maximum size pole I can mount a Dish 1000 on , and 2) how deep should I go? I am in Iowa, and have clay soil about 10" down. Thanks for your help!

2 1/4 will work, that's what my 1000 is mounted on, don't think you'd want to go bigger than that.

Just for reference, the mounting arm you put on the mast for the Dish 500 is the same size for the Dish 1000, so if you already have a Dish 500 set up on a pole, just use the same pole.

iafirebuff said:
I am getting ready for my vip 622 and Dish 1000 upgrade this coming saturday, and am going to have it set up on a pole in the ground. I have a few questions:

I plan on using a 2 or 2 1/4" pole, in cement. what is the maximum size pole I can mount a Dish 1000 on , and 2) how deep should I go? I am in Iowa, and have clay soil about 10" down. Thanks for your help!

A Dish1000 uses the same 1-5/8" actual diameter pole as the Dish500 or the standard DirecTV 18 inch or Phase III dish.

This diameter is commonly referred as 1-1/4 inch nominal pipe. A lot of people use chain link fence line posts of the correct diameter, but schedule 40 galvanized water pipe is better. Even better is galvanized riged conduit available at Lowes or Home Depot.

I'd first dig a 8 inch diameter x 12 inch deep hole, and if you had a 2 or 3 inch earth auger dig down another 2 feet into the clay. Place the pole in the hole and fill the augered hole back with the clay to the bottom of the larger hole. Place a 1-5/8 inch muffler clamp about 8 inches down the hole from the surface to keep the pole from turning. Fill the hole with really dry mixed concrete to within 3 inches of the surface while keeping the pole plumb.

webbydude said:
Perhaps the OP has a line-of-site issue with the 129 and needs a different location? That's the only thing I can come up with.

nah. I've seen his setup. He has a FTA dish for 123 (Galaxy 10) and 129 (IA7) right next to hid D500. Only thing I can think of is he wants to not put the dish on the roof

Thanks for the info!

Mike500 said:
A Dish1000 uses the same 1-5/8" actual diameter pole as the Dish500 or the standard DirecTV 18 inch or Phase III dish.

This diameter is commonly referred as 1-1/4 inch nominal pipe. A lot of people use chain link fence line posts of the correct diameter, but schedule 40 galvanized water pipe is better. Even better is galvanized riged conduit available at Lowes or Home Depot.

I'd first dig a 8 inch diameter x 12 inch deep hole, and if you had a 2 or 3 inch earth auger dig down another 2 feet into the clay. Place the pole in the hole and fill the augered hole back with the clay to the bottom of the larger hole. Place a 1-5/8 inch muffler clamp about 8 inches down the hole from the surface to keep the pole from turning. Fill the hole with really dry mixed concrete to within 3 inches of the surface while keeping the pole plumb.

Well, I am teetering as to where I want to put the Dish 1000. I could leave it where it is, but have the following issues - I have some rotten wood that needs replacing on my shed where the dish is mounted, and the shed has "sunk" a little. Now my Dish 500 on both 119 and 110 still gets 105+ on the signal meter, so not having a problem there, and the other issue is, I would have more cable to bury, and I really wanted to avoid that. On the other side of my house, I have a nice spot for it, and the cable would be about 2' from my house. BUT, this is also a prime spot for a motorized dish for FTA :) I might just leave it where it is for now, and see if they will have to run new cable or not. Thanks for the tips!

Iceberg said:
nah. I've seen his setup. He has a FTA dish for 123 (Galaxy 10) and 129 (IA7) right next to hid D500. Only thing I can think of is he wants to not put the dish on the roof

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)