Dish 1000 plus help please

rwjga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Asheville, NC
I have a VIP622 and HD programming.

I had a two dish 500's

I orded a Dish 1000 plus and a DPP Switch 44 attempted the install. I first installed the switch and tried with my two dish 500's and all worked well. I then installed the Dishe 100 plus and get the following message.

Non BACKSTACKED STACKED QUAD ON PORT 1 IS DNT SUPPORT AS A DISEQC DEVICE.

I get this message on both lines running from my dish to my receiver.

I show no connection on port 4 and no signal on the other two ports.

What do I need to do?

I really could use some help.

Thanks

Kind of stumped on this one. I don't get enough DPP44 switch installs. But...have you tried unplugging your switch connections and reconnecting them? Specifically speaking, I'm thinking a power down...cool down...and repowering it up may do the trick

Kind of stumped on this one. I don't get enough DPP44 switch installs. But...have you tried unplugging your switch connections and reconnecting them? Specifically speaking, I'm thinking a power down...cool down...and repowering it up may do the trick

I have tried. In fact I even changed the LNB - Switch cables just in case one was bad somehow, but got the same results. I know the switch44 is working as it runs the Dish 500 great. Reinstall the Dish 1000 plus, an the same problem.

I am just a user and I have no idea what stacked or backstacked means.

I've been looking for the document but I can't find it. I believe you need to connect the sat inputs in this order:

Port 1 119
Port 2 110
Port 3 129
Port 4 118.7

and run check switch.

I've been looking for the document but I can't find it. I believe you need to connect the sat inputs in this order:

Port 1 119
Port 2 110
Port 3 129
Port 4 118.7

and run check switch.

You are right, that is what the manual that came with the 1000+ says and the way I have them installed. I have doubled checked this.

Why don't you try just 119 and 110 first, run check switch and see what you get. Then add 129 and run check switch and last add 118.7 and run check switch.

To add to webbydude comments...

When powering down, disconnect the power to both the ViP 622 and the DPP-44 power brick. When having problems, I even disconnect the power to the TV in case it is sending some unwanted juice out the coaxal port.

And while your looking at the cables and swapping them around, look at the center conductors and see if they are shorter than the original cables you used from the 2 Dish 500's to the DPP-44. If they are, they may not be making contact.

Also, I don't know if the Dish 500+/1000+ requires you to select SuperDish and/or Alternate or not when doing a Check Switch. It seems to go through more steps when you do.
I first installed the switch and tried with my two dish 500's and all worked well.
Even though it worked, did it show that a DPP44 Switch was connected?

I believe it is possible, that the receiver did not detect the DPP44, but continued to use DiSEqC commands which would still control the DP LNBF and give you 119 and 110.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions

To add to webbydude comments...

When powering down, disconnect the power to both the ViP 622 and the DPP-44 power brick. When having problems, I even disconnect the power to the TV in case it is sending some unwanted juice out the coaxal port.

And while your looking at the cables and swapping them around, look at the center conductors and see if they are shorter than the original cables you used from the 2 Dish 500's to the DPP-44. If they are, they may not be making contact.

When I run the Check Switch, it shows the DPP44 Switch and that there are LNB attached to them, so it is seeing the switch and LNB's

Also, I don't know if the Dish 500+/1000+ requires you to select SuperDish and/or Alternate or not when doing a Check Switch. It seems to go through more steps when you do.Even though it worked, did it show that a DPP44 Switch was connected?

I know I tried it with the Super Dish selected, not sure if I tried the alternate or not. I will give that a try.
I believe it is possible, that the receiver did not detect the DPP44, but continued to use DiSEqC commands which would still control the DP LNBF and give you 119 and 110.

It did detect theDPP44 but I do not know what DiSEqC commnds are.

Just a thought. [/QUOTE]

x

I do remember that when the D1000+ came out, someone reported that he was seeing a DiSEqC message but it was all functional. There is a thread about it in this forum.

Thanks a lot for the info. This is the message I am getting but I am not getting past it. It gives me a place to start when the weather improves just a little. I am to soft to go up on the roof in this cold windy weather.

I wouldn't go up there either, I hate cold weather.

Just an update on how this worked out. Being a home owner, I did not have a satellite meter so I was aiming according to the manual that came with the Dish 1000+. I purchased a cheap meter and found the elevation sitting in the manual was off by 7 degrees. (Maybe this is because I am about 2300 above sea level here.) With that resolved, I now get all the satellites fine, but I still have the messages about the 118/119 LNB "Non bandstacked on port 1/4 not a supported diseqc devise" This message is in red, in the details section of the Check Switch screen.

I now receive the Charlotte locals in HD, but the quality is not as good as the OTA signal.

Hi, RWJGA!

I've just finished installing a new Dish 1000+ setup, and I have exactly the same message (though it's in orange on my ViP 622). However, I believe that this is a normal message! With DishPro+ twin LNBs, they include an integrated switch, so they are capable of manipulating their outputs such that either output can drive two bandstacked signals simultaneously from either bird, in order to support dual-tuner boxes. This switching is accomplished by the set-top box sending DiSEqC (Digital Satellite Equipment Control) commands to the LNBs, when a DPP44 isn't present.

However, the special Dish 1000+ LNB isn't actually a DishPro+ twin LNB - it's a special beast. Instead of accepting DiSEqC commands, the LNB outputs are setup in a fixed configuration. When you use this LNB with a DPP44, though, the switch is capable of doing the relevant selection and bandstacking for any of its outputs on its own. All that message is telling you is that the 119 outputs and the 118.7 outputs are simply dedicated to each bird. The error message is slightly misleading in the sense that it says that they aren't bandstacked, when I believe that they are in fact bandstacked with regard to polarity (that is, I believe that each output contains the CW and CCW polarities full-time, stacked on top of one another by frequency). The LNBs just aren't capable of mixing both the 119 and 118.7 signals onto a single output. Since the DPP44 can handle this, it appears to have no effect on functionality that I can determine.

As additional confirmation, you should also see that these two ports are reported as "FEED" instead of the usual "TWIN or "DUAL" messages. In Dish's own Intro to Dish Pro Technology, they report:

Dish said:
The Check Switch results for a SuperDISH installation may show some ports as “Feed” instead of “Sgl” or “Dual” – this is a normal response, because those are the “bandstacked” (non-DISH Pro) LNBs.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks MJFLASH/rdinkel. I am getting a reltive weak signal on 118.7. The best I get on any TP is 89 (TP21) and the worst is on TP8 were I get a 64 in clear weather and 45 or so in clouds which is causing single lost on my Charlotte locals. Is this my problem or is it the satellite?

TP8 signal strength

118.7 is an FSS satellite so the signal is not gonna be as strong as 119 or 110. Charlotte locas come from TP 8 and TP 21. So you should be OK with TP21 but what's your signal strenght for TP8?

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/118list.htm

In a clear sky, it is in the mid 60's sometimes as high as 68 but 64 is more normal. When cloulds are present it drops getting as low as 45 which makes viewing the two stations on TP8 unwatchable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)