Help...I gotta problem!

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
My dish is encapsulated in about 1/2" of ice from todays ice storm....no reception! Anybody know of a good way to deice it without destroying it? I am thinking about alcohol based deider (automotive) but will it damage the dish?

My dish is encapsulated in about 1/2" of ice from todays ice storm....no reception! Anybody know of a good way to deice it without destroying it? I am thinking about alcohol based deider (automotive) but will it damage the dish?

Just get a pail of hot water from the tub/shower faucet and pour the hot water
over the dish.

Ditto: or if you can't reach it a hose with cold water will melt the ice but don't use a forceful stream just run it over the ice.

Thanks guys...I used aeresol deicer. It took 2 cans, but I got my signal back just in time for LOST last night! The dish is in a hard to reach spot. I had to remove the storm window from our guest bedroom to get at it. It still has ice on it, but the signal is good for now!

Last Ice storm we had I used my wife's blow drier to thaw the dish. Just a minute of hot air on the back side, all the ice slid right off.

oK..here is one of my favorite self help subjets..Ice on the old dish..Here it goes....In anticipation of winter precip go out there with a can of PAM or any non stick frying pan coating and spray this on the reflector itself..The oil in the spray will delay the freezing of water and will not allow water to adhere to the dish...Ever see oil and water mix?..BTW spraying hot water on ice when the ambient temp is well below freezing is useless..Shortly after the hot water contacts the cold ice it will begin to freeze again....This is the way a Zamboni ice rink conditioning machine works..The water appiled to the ice surface(saw this on Modern Marvels BTW) is heated to 140 degrees..The water quickly freezes to smooth the surface for use...Anyway....Try the PAM..It works!!!!!The idea is prevent the ice from getting on there in the first place..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)