Dish 1000 receivers

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
I'm drawing a total blank right now, so bear with me when I ask this question. The part of Ohio I'm working in right now is part of the so-called "distant network" shutdown. To accommodate customers, Dish is supplying most people with a D1000 upgrade...for free. The problem I'm running into is that some of the receivers don't recognize the 129.

Unless I'm missing things, the ONLY Legacy receivers Dish "says" can't receive the 129 are the: 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 receivers. Like I said earlier, I'm running into some that aren't on the list but don't see the 129. As an example, today I had 3700 that wouldn't/couldn't see the 129. Just for the hell of it, I hooked up a spare 301 that I had on my truck. Lo and behold...129 shows up.

My question is...can someone post a link to what receivers do NOT see the 129? And maybe someone can help explain why a 3700 doesn't work. And for the record, I had the same thing happen yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Lets start from roots - what SW version it have ? Can we see a screenshot with switch matrix data ?
It was explain if a receiver can handle SW64 switch, then DPP Twin and DP 129W should be OK. But must be DP receiver connected too !

Last edited:
In both cases NEITHER had a DP receiver hooked up, but did have a DP Adapter. Dish's CSR's were pretty adamant that it will work that way (yeah...I know...asking for trouble in placing my faith in a bunch of people who get their tech stats from a phone-script). In theory, I agree...it should work. But the checkswitch didn't show up as a SW64...merely showed 500 Twin. So even if it was a case of the 129 being blocked by trees (we have a really low EL for the 129...21 degrees...ugh), it would still show on the checkswitch as not being connected.

Next time it happens, I'm severely tempted to hook up Legacy Quad to a SW21 at the D1000 to combine all 3 birds. Unfortunately, that's a big no-no in DNS eyes. All upgraded customers are supposed to have DPP LNBs...not some potpourri of used LNBs and new Legacy switches.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Same problem occurred today during yet another D1000 upgrade. This time it was a 3800 receiver. The customer's old setup was a D500 with 2 Legacy duals feeding into a SW21.

After completing the D1000 upgrade (DPP Twin/DP dual/DP adapter) his checkswitch showed a 500 Twin. Is Dish incorrect in not having us upgrade the Legacy receivers to 301s? Once again, I took the DP Adapter off and hooked up another spare 301 to the setup...BAM...it shows all 3 birds.

I hate to do this to customers, but if I'm not getting paid to do "detective work", then I'm pretty much stuck doing just what is called for on the workorder. In this case, replace the D500 with a D1000.

Oops, you're SOL without something special, sorry;
those three LNBFs drain much more current then the old 37/800 allowed;
ok, perhaps you could insert DP convertor for test, it's have own PS.
Could you check it ?

Like I said earlier...it's only happens when it's a solo receiver upgrade. And even using a DP Adapter in conjunction with the DPP/DP LNBs doesn't seem to do it. If the receivers were leased, in good faith I'd swap out the Legacy receivers in a heartbeat for a DP receiver. But since they're customer owned, that puts things in an awkward situation. Not too many people are willing to part with a owned receiver for a leased one; not for the wimpy $10 that Dish is offering the customers.

Ok! A bunch of us techs from my RSP put all 5 of our braincells together and figured out WHY most of the Legacy receivers will not see the 3rd orbital slot. The only way for *most* Legacy receivers to see all 3 slots is to NOT use DPP LNBs; but use DP LNBs and a DP34. Probably has something to do with the way the bandstacking occurs.

wouldnt you still need a DP Adapter?

Why couldnt you just do a Legacy twin/Dual/SW21 combo? Thats what I do even with my 811 and it works fine :)...whoops read above and saw why

This from the DPP notes (see attached)
When connecting a Legacy receiver, a second receiver must also be connected to power the LNBF:
o If the second receiver is DISH Pro or DP Plus, the DP Plus Twin will be fully functional.
o If the second receiver is Legacy, the LNB IN port (for a second satellite dish) cannot be used.
Bascially if a legacy reciever is used, you must have another reciever in order to use the switch.
If you need 129, then the 2nd reciever must be DishPro.

Attachments

• DISH_Pro_Plus_Twin_LNBF_Installation_Information_&_Special_Considerations.pdf
    699.8 KB · Views: 82
Right...! I guess that's where I screwed up. Furthermore, the script-monkey CSR's seem to feed into that by telling me that there is no problem in using a Legacy receiver with DPP LNBs and a DP Adapter. True enough...but with the added proviso that you will not get the 3rd orbital slot.

I guess what I'm curious about..is.. "What exactly does that SW64 switch do...??" It takes both polarities of a pair of Legacy Dual LNBs, as well as a Dual Legacy from a 3rd orbital location- 61.5..and combines that..But, does it make the 4 outputs appear like a DP signal-??ie-band-stacked.?? I have a 3000 receiver, and a 301 on one of those SW64s, and it seems to give me no end of grief...?? It would sure help to understand how that beast works.. any feedback would be appreciated...

Last edited:
From what I do know about a SW64, it does separate both polarities and all 3 satellites. Your checkswitch screen will show that. With a DP receiver such as your 301, it's software is smart enough to be backwards compatible and not enable the typical DP bandstacking.

What my original issue is that I'm being told by the Dish CSRs that a DP Adapter is good enough in a single room, Legacy upgrade to a Dish 1000. Uh-uh! A big no go!! A person person needs at least one DP receiver in a D1000 upgrade. So what I've been doing is calling up to Dish to modify the workorders and giving the customer a leased 301 in the place of their owned Legacy receiver. What they do with the owned Legacy receiver is the customer's business. Either than can sell it back to Dish for the $10 (yeah...what a big joke THAT is) or I can be paid extra to wire up 2nd room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)