DISH 300 to DISH 500 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

John David

Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
I have a DISH 300 installation at my lakeside home which I visit infrequently. I am able to carry my DISH receiver there from my regular home.
What hardware do I need to buy to convert the roof mounted antenna to a 500? Just the 500 dish or do I also need a new LNB ?

John David said:
I have a DISH 300 installation at my lakeside home which I visit infrequently. I am able to carry my DISH receiver there from my regular home.
What hardware do I need to buy to convert the roof mounted antenna to a 500? Just the 500 dish or do I also need a new LNB ?

You're going to need a new LNB as well as the dish. The one that you have on the 300 is only able to look at one satellite.

OK, so I must get a new LNB for the DISH 500 dish. Will a DISH PRO LNB work with my 3 year old receiver?

John

DishPro supports Models 301, 501, 508, 721, 811 & 921. For your 500 set up, I would go with the legacy LNBF. There's one on Ebay that will probably go cheap. The fellow who is bidding only has won one item in the past so you probably can get it for a couple bucks with a snipe bid if no one else bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088205132&category=32843

Good luck

The lnb by itself will not do the job. You will need the "y" attachment, and I am not certain you will be able to get a consistent signal with a dual lnb on a 300 dish. It is a couple inches shorter than the 500 dish. You might want to search ebay for a complete dish 500 with the lnb. I am not really familiar with the dishmover program but you might also check into it if the prices for the dish 500 and lnb are too high on ebay.
Another alternative is to get another 300 unit along with a sw-21 switch. The 300's with the lnb's are usually pretty cheap on ebay and the sw-21 have come down a lot in price.
Good luck!

The other thought is to ignore 110 and live off 119 at the cottage. Unless you have locals there or a Spanish subscription all you will miss is PPV and AT180 non-AT120 channels (and a couple of movie channels).

Check to see if the Dish500 came with the Y you will need, and that all of the other parts are there. I'd hate to see you nickle and dime yourself over a couple of channels on 110.

JL

eBay success

Thanks for suggestions. Got a used DISH 500 with twin LNB for $26 on eBay.
Was able to pick up locally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts