Dish 322: Floating logo

jmorlan

Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I am new to Dish Network. I have a professionally installed 322 and two receivers. Each day when I turn on the TV, there is a floating logo with a prompt saying "Press Select to continue." Is this normal?

I have my 2nd TV programmed to record about 7 shows/week using its internal VCR tuned to channel 100 and the manual event timer on the 322 changes the channels. Problem is, I am recording a lot of floating logos saying "press Select to Continue" instead the intended programming.

Also when it does record correctly, I will randomly get a translucent box
in the middle, giving the program information. The box will be recorded for about five minutes before disappearing.

Occasionally, the recorder has recorded a blank screen, and once it
recorded the correct show but there was no sound.

Are these symptoms normal? Do I have a defective receiver?

Here is my system information:

Model ID: DISH 322
Receiver CA ID: R0056177447-69
Smart Card ID: S0080084885-96
DNASP103 Rev 380
Software Version: L136GCCD-N
Boot Strap Version: 1410GCCD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes that logo is normal, at around 3am that message will pop on your screen, if no keys are pressed your unit will actually turn off.

It does this so it can make the satellite tuner tuner to the Program Guide Channel and download the Program guide.

Pressing a key on your remote turns the unit back on again and tunes the receiver away from the guide data channel.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes that logo is normal, at around 3am that message will pop on your screen, if no keys are pressed your unit will actually turn off.
That may explain why the unit sometimes mysteriously turns off by itself overnight. I there any way I can disable this feature, so I can record my shows automatically when I'm not home to manually press a key each day?

I believe that there is a option to change the time this happens.

Ultimately it MUST do this maintance or you will not have a program guide.

Any shows which are set to record during this period will record. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Any shows which are set to record during this period will record. :)
Not for me. I'm recording nothing but a floating logo saying "Press Select to Continue." Is there no way around this?

Are you setting your receiver to auto tune the channel you wish to record? Or are you setting it to the channel you want to record and leaving it there?

You should be turning it off when not in use. The timer on the receiver will still work. It will turn itself on and set the channel, then turn itself off when the program is over.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Are you setting your receiver to auto tune the channel you wish to record? Or are you setting it to the channel you want to record and leaving it there?
The receiver is manually set to change the channel at the time I have the internal VCR on the 2nd TV set to record channel 100. This usually works as long as there is no floating logo to get recorded.

CygnusTM said:
You should be turning it off when not in use. The timer on the receiver will still work. It will turn itself on and set the channel, then turn itself off when the program is over.
Thanks. I've gone into Menu > System Setup > Installation > Updates and changed activation to "Disable." Will that get rid of the floating logo?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Set the receiver to auto tune the channel and no more logo on your recordings. :)
The manual event timer is already set to "Auto Tune." There are only two choices on the 2nd receiver. "Remind" and "Auto Tune."

I am having the same info screen problem on my 522. DISH said yesterday they have never heard of that problem, today I had an Email to try changing the remote address to something besides 1 and an update is expected the end of the month to correct several problems. On the 50X series of DVRs there is an option to turn off the upload but on the 522 it has been eliminated.

jmorlan said:
CygnusTM said:
Thanks. I've gone into Menu > System Setup > Installation > Updates and changed activation to "Disable." Will that get rid of the floating logo?
I tried this yesterday, and this morning there was no floating logo! I'm wondering if Update Activation should be enabled only if the DISH 322 unit is turned off when not in use. I've been leaving it on all the time. Perhaps that's what was causing my problem. Does that make sense?

EDIT: Forget what I said in this post. I just realized you were talking about the 2nd tuner/TV. Although you think you have found the solution, I still think you should talk to someone at Dish about this. I don't think this is working the way it should. Since the 322 is a young receiver, they could probably use some help identifying bugs.

yes manual update is the way to go!!

yes manual update is the way to go!!
I use that on the 301 units I have too!!

that way if you need to take a upgrade hit it can
when you have the unit off

I also set the unit to auto tune the channel and then set the vcr to turn on at that time...

I also use an UPS just like on the computer gear to help hold the vcr and the dish gear voltage so I do not loose any record time as power grid is bad in my area. cool Idea!! also has good filter for the ac line too!!

Screen Saver with Dish network Logo and Text (Push Select to Continue)

322 Receiver needs software modification, to eliminate incompatibility issues with non Echostar DVR units!
Screen Saver with Dish network Logo and Text (Push Select to Continue) pops up and gets recorded by my ReplayTV 5040 after daily Dish Network Software update and or every 4 hours if no remote control button is pushed. This Logo stays on screen and renders my ReplayTV 5040 TOTALLY USELESS.

EXTREEMLY ANOYING and TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE
I never had these ridiculous problems with my ReplayTV 5040 and Cable Company!
After more than 7 days and several calls to Dish Network Tech support, I may or may not have workable solution.
Whether this solution works or not it is very poor workaround at best.
I currently have 8 reminder timers (1 every 3 hours) set to simulate remote control activity, in order to keep the 4 hour inactivity screen saver from activating. Due to software updating Daily at 4:00 AM I had to set additional timer at 4:10 AM to keep from having screen saver started after software update.
SUGESTION PLEASE EXPEDITE SOFTWARE MODIFICATION ON 322 RECEIVERS TO INCLUDE CHECK BOX.
[ ] DISABLE SCREEN SAVER
This would be much preferred to my current workaround that may or may not work
ATTENTION THOSE WITH ANY TYPE RECORDING DEVICE being used with DISHNETWORK 322 receiver!
This work around works best!
Menu 616 takes you to Updates Screen then chose Activation Disable!
That’s it no more bouncy ball (Press Select to Continue) Dishnetwork Screen Saver.
Warning this workaround may cause other less serious but extremely aggravating problems due to Dishnetworks poorly written software!
322 Receiver incompatible with non Echostar DVR units due to poorly written software!

Delta4C said:
322 Receiver needs software modification, to eliminate incompatibility issues with non Echostar DVR units!
Screen Saver with ---blah blah blah blah --- written software!

a few questions

1) how many threads are you going to paste the same nonsense in?
2) how many forums are you going to paste the same nonsense in?
3) how many times must people tell you that you are wrong?

(my personal favorite was when you said you need to record while you were asleep so you "can keep accurate track of Dishnetwork system failures". Still kinda chuckling on that one)

I don't understand, am i wrong, or are they wrong? if the receiver is off and timers are set to auto-tune, then the receiver should tune to that channel without a screensaver? You all should have your receivers off to begin with. I don't understand the problem here.

Unfortunately receiver must be left in on position!

Unfortunately for some reason (must be how long it takes system to boot up properly) receiver must be left in on position!:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts