Dish 322 or 522? ReplayTv used in conjuction.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

koojoe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm just curious on your thoughts. Should I get a 322 installed or the 522 to use with my ReplayTv 5040. It seems kinda odd to get a PVR since I have a ReplayTv but at the same time the hardware is free. I only get an extra 5 dollar a month charge to use the 522.

The main reasons I want to keep ReplayTv:
1) Known Stability
2) Networkability
3) Features of NBR/Commercial Skip - Etc
4) Ease of upgrading hard drive

I've heard about some bug problems with the 522 units but I'm also aware of the screensaver issue between dish recievers and non-echostar pvrs.

I'm just looking for your opinion and personal preference. The only downside I see to using the ReplayTv is the 13 dollars a month fee for usage. I have been thinking about building an HTPC and use something like BeyondTv. In the end it could cost about the same as adding lifetime subscription for my ReplayTv unit.

Thank you for your time.

What the...don't make your life confusing by doing a DVR in a DVR. PErsonally I'd just get the 522 and dump the Replay but your reasons are valid, I just don't think it's worth it. I rather have a satellite DVR with no reencoding. If money is no issue then obviously do whatever you want, but I think the 522 alone is best. BeyondTV is pretty good but you need to have a good set up to make it practical.

but technically... it should work right? just use replay on the tv1 IR.. blaster.. and I have a switch box so I can switch from tv1 or 2 to display on my tv in the living room. also have the output coax goto two bedrooms by using a splitter off the tv2 out For some reason I might want to watch tv2 while tv1 is recording on replaytv.

Right now I have my dtv setup going out to replaytv via composite and out to a splitter to two other rooms on coax. It puts out composite and coax at the same time fine.

koojoe said:
but technically... it should work right? just use replay on the tv1 IR.. blaster.. and I have a switch box so I can switch from tv1 or 2 to display on my tv in the living room. also have the output coax goto two bedrooms by using a splitter off the tv2 out For some reason I might want to watch tv2 while tv1 is recording on replaytv.

Right now I have my dtv setup going out to replaytv via composite and out to a splitter to two other rooms on coax. It puts out composite and coax at the same time fine.

Don't count on your receiver to be able to use the IR blaster to drive the Replay unless you know it works for sure. I found it wouldn't control my Philips DVDR which has both a hard drive and DVD write capability. None of the receiver settings would work with it so I have to program it like an old fashioned VCR - set start and stop time.

Good news however is that you probably could feed the Replay coax output (it does have one, doesn't it?) set to channel to the antenna input of the receiver and thus be able to see the Replay output on channel 4 and the receiver output on channel 3 to avoid the need for switching.

JohnP

In use a Tivo with a 322. It's a series one and it works fine so the remote codes must be pretty old. The Tivo software hasn't been updated in around 3 years.

To avoid the screen saver problem, create a timer to tune in a specific station 1 hr after the scheduled update. Bear in mind that you cannot record anything during that hour. The 322 will stay on until it shuts down for update 23 hours later.

mrschwarz said:
In use a Tivo with a 322. It's a series one and it works fine so the remote codes must be pretty old. The Tivo software hasn't been updated in around 3 years.

To avoid the screen saver problem, create a timer to tune in a specific station 1 hr after the scheduled update. Bear in mind that you cannot record anything during that hour. The 322 will stay on until it shuts down for update 23 hours later.

Or just suppress the automatic 3AM update and it will update as long as the 322 shuts off and there will be no screen saver. You then need to make sure you use "VCR" and not "AUTO" settings as the latter leaves the 322 on.

JohnP

Cascade said:
I had my 5040 driving the 522 for 2 weeks, it worked perfectly until the 522 decided to crash again.

So did the code 0775 is what you used in 5040 IR setting to have its IR blaster drive your 522 unit?

Thanks in advance.

Or just suppress the automatic 3AM update and it will update as long as the 322 shuts off and there will be no screen saver. You then need to make sure you use "VCR" and not "AUTO" settings as the latter leaves the 322 on.

Could you expand on the use VCR vs Auto settings? I would like to do this, I have a 322 and replay.

jpezz said:

JohnP
My understanding of suppressing the updates is that the tuner begins to complain after a while. Also, the other tuner which is hooked up to a TV won;t have guide information.

Actually mine is set up to autotune and I don't have any problem with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts